Thread poster: Pavel Tsvetkov

Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 09:49
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Mar 15, 2009

Here is the question: After a fresh install of SDL MultiTerm 2007 it does not find my old term bases and therefore I cannot use them. There is the Load External Termbase function, however what it does is, it copies a term base to a new location on C: and then if there are any changes to the termbase, they are inserted into this copied term base. Upon a fresh Windows install they will be lost.

Does anyone know how to take care of the problems described above?

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:49
French to Polish
+ ...
It's not a bug, it's a feature... Mar 15, 2009

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:

Here is the question: After a fresh install of SDL MultiTerm 2007 it does not find my old term bases and therefore I cannot use them. There is the Load External Termbase function, however what it does is, it copies a term base to a new location on C: and then if there are any changes to the termbase, they are inserted into this copied term base. Upon a fresh Windows install they will be lost.

You can backup/export your termbases

Does anyone know how to take care of the problems described above?

It's exaclty the way Multiterm is designed.
It's stupid, I agree.

PS.
Take a look on the help/manual.

Cheers
GG

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
But... Mar 15, 2009

If the termbase you want to "load" is already on C: (i.e. the drive the system and MultiTerm itself are installed on), does it still create a copy? I would think not. And just out of curiosity, where did it copy the termbase in your case?

The most annoying part of the "load external termbase" feature is that it reorganizes the termbase... which, if the TB is large and the hardware is slow, could easily take 5 to 30 minutes. This means there is practically no way of taking complete, ready-to use termbases to a different install than the one they were created on, at least not as far as I know.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Yes, it's crazy... but you hack it :) Mar 15, 2009

FarkasAndras wrote:

If the termbase you want to "load" is already on C: (i.e. the drive the system and MultiTerm itself are installed on), does it still create a copy? I would think not. And just out of curiosity, where did it copy the termbase in your case?

I never tested this scenario.
I.e. I always make a copy of the entire directory if my MT version is exactly the same

IMHO in your case, I suppose it's copied in the same directory under a new name (i.e. mxw_Number*.*)

The most annoying part of the "load external termbase" feature is that it reorganizes the termbase... which, if the TB is large and the hardware is slow, could easily take 5 to 30 minutes. This means there is practically no way of taking complete, ready-to use termbases to a different install than the one they were created on, at least not as far as I know.

You can still hack the MTMaster if you have Access 2003.
It's really easy

Of course, close all MT related applications before you start.
And make a backup copy

Access 2000 and XP should do the job too, I suppose.
Don't use Access 2007.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-03-15 19:40 GMT]

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Still... questions remain Mar 16, 2009

So, my termbases are on D: for obvious reasons - I want them to survive a Windows installation. Now, by using the Load External Termbase function I make them accessible to Trados, however they are then copied to C:.

If at this point I add new terms, they will be added to the copies on C:, right? On a new installation they will be lost...

Are you saying that I should export them before the new Windows installation? What if Windows just crushes?

Also: they now exist under new names on C:, right? So I cannot simply compare and backup them to the older versions on D: using backup software, correct?

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Not necessarily lost Mar 16, 2009

Hi Pavel,
if you use the "Load external termbase" command in MultiTerm, you load the external MDB files. Once a file is loaded, you are asked whether you want to delete the original file or not. If you click "No", the current termbase (on your D drive) will still be there. But this file will not be updated along with your termbase loaded in MultiTerm.
I hope (but I'm not convinced) I've expressed myself clearly.

Kind regards,

Stanislav

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
It is clear Mar 16, 2009

Thank you, Stanislav! That answers part of my question successfully.

The main part however is:

What is the algorithm to keep / export / backup the changes later on?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL MultiTerm 2007 - opening of old term bases after a new installation

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs