Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Upgrade musings
Thread poster: Emma Gledhill
Emma Gledhill
Local time: 22:53
German to English
+ ...
Mar 15, 2009

I fear it may be getting close to time to upgrade Trados - I'm currently using the 2006/7.5 version. This leads me to a couple of questions

Firstly, does the freelance edition still limit the number of language combinations? If so, to how many?

Secondly, the ITI Bulleting is reporting that the new 2009 version with major changes in functionality is due this year. Anyone know when?

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Replies Mar 15, 2009

Firstly, does the freelance edition still limit the number of language combinations? If so, to how many?

This is exactly the same: 5 languages.

Secondly, the ITI Bulleting is reporting that the new 2009 version with major changes in functionality is due this year. Anyone know when?

There is no definite release deadline yet, but SDL Studio 2009 is scheduled for release this year. The question is: how long will it take for agencies to accept this completely new concept? For the time being, I am staying with the good old TWB and TE.

Emma Gledhill
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Upgrade or wait? Mar 15, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Is that 5 languages in any combination thereof or just 5 language combinations?

There is no definite release deadline yet, but SDL Studio 2009 is scheduled for release this year. The question is: how long will it take for agencies to accept this completely new concept? For the time being, I am staying with the good old TWB and TE.

So 2007 Suite is going to be the last of a breed, as it were? I'm pretty much perfectly happy with 2006 except that having upgraded to Office 2008 for Mac and liking it a lot, I'm thinking about Office 2007 for Windows (which requires a higher Trados version) and I'm just beginning to get compatibility problems with clients sending me .docx files for translation (Mac Office 2008 solves that one after a fashion but it's a pain having to convert before I can work) and pre-prepared ttx files with incompatible filters

Would you say, then, it's worth considering an upgrade to 2007 Suite to have the latest stable version before Studio comes out?

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Still five... Mar 15, 2009

Emma Gledhill wrote:

I fear it may be getting close to time to upgrade Trados - I'm currently using the 2006/7.5 version. This leads me to a couple of questions

Still the same.
Five.

As some data are already known, i.e. some informations about the Trados 2009 Studio beta are public (e.g. after the tekom 2008 conference, some official beta version presentations are planned in the close future, e.g. http://www.proz.com/conference/86), we may have a vague idea of the release date.
I suppose. smewhere in Summer but at this stage, nothing's really sure.

BTW.
A post about the ongoing beta tests was published on Proz
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/130085-trados_rivelin_beta.html
and was censored after some hours.

Cheers
GG

French to Polish
+ ...
5 languages... upgrade to 2007 Suite... Mar 15, 2009

Emma Gledhill wrote:

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Is that 5 languages in any combination thereof or just 5 language combinations?

Any combination of the 5 languages selected.

I suppose the migration may be slow.
E.g. TagEditor for Word is available from some years and the majority of translation offices still ask for the Trados Word workflow.

So 2007 Suite is going to be the last of a breed, as it were? I'm pretty much perfectly happy with 2006 except that having upgraded to Office 2008 for Mac and liking it a lot, I'm thinking about Office 2007 for Windows

If you think the new Office look is better...
IMHO you should stay with your current Office version unless you have a lot of Office 2007 documents.
But it's my personal opinion.

(which requires a higher Trados version) and I'm just beginning to get compatibility problems with clients sending me .docx files for translation (Mac Office 2008 solves that one after a fashion but it's a pain having to convert before I can work) and pre-prepared ttx files with incompatible filters

Would you say, then, it's worth considering an upgrade to 2007 Suite to have the latest stable version before Studio comes out?

Yes.
In your case, it seems logic.

BTW.
Recently, I deal with some InDesign files the 2007 Suite process in a breeze, the same files can't be exported in 2006 and the plain vanilla 2007 (including SP2).

Cheers
GG

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:53
English to French
+ ...
Language combinations and new release Mar 15, 2009

For the language combinations, you can define up to five languages, which you can then use in any combination (it comes down to 20 language pairs, I believe - I am good at translating but I'm not a math whiz). However, all locales are included, so if one of the languages you specify is French, that already includes a dozen languages on its own. I picked three languages, and together they total 17 languages to choose from (Canadian French, Belgian French, French French, Luxembourg French, British English, Canadian English, US English, etc.). That's over 200 language combinations...

As for the as yet unreleased Trados, the release date is murky. All I know is that the beta test is underway. I think at this stage even SDL doesn't have a date - beta testing usually creates a lot of support tickets and lots of things still need to be ironed out at that stage. I hear the new Trados will be very different from what translators are accustomed to. I think it is wise to simply upgrade to the current version and wait a year before upgrading again (upgrades are usually pretty affordable). If the new version is really that different, there may be file incompatibilities keeping agencies from upgrading too soon. Older translation memory files may be compatible with the new version, but not necessarily vice versa.

[Edited at 2009-03-15 19:25 GMT]

Emma Gledhill
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Already at 5 Mar 15, 2009

The thing is, I've been using Trados since early 1998, when there was no such thing as a freelance edition and Workbench and WinAlign cost around GBP 2K *each*. That's a large investment of money, time and faith that I don't really want to lose as a result of losing functionality from *downgrading* to Freelance. Moreover I'm already at 5 languages and for various reasons it's more than conceivable that I would need more, so the language combination restriction is a loss too far - which means I'm looking at quite a lot into 3 figures to upgrade. Hence it's a) not quite a no-brainer and b) only gets done when it's necessary i.e. compatibility issues start to occur. I think I'm reaching that point.

On a side note, I do find it somewhat extortionate to be forced to spend a shed-load more money just so that you can use Trados with all your language combinations.

Pavel Blann  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
Re: Already at 5 Mar 15, 2009

1. you have got 4 working languages in your proz profile
2. you can buy an upgrade to 2007 FL (not that expensive)
3. you can install/run 2007 FL into/from non-2006 directory
4. you can still use 2006 for your extra (above-5) languages
5. you have to remember not to run 2007 FL/2006 concurrently
6. you can run multiterm 5.5 with either 2006 or 2007 FL
7. you can use 2006 transl. memories in 2007 FL directly
8. you can export 2007 FL transl. memories for use in 2006
9. you have invested a lot of money 11 years ago--not written off yet?

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Illegal Mar 15, 2009

Pavel Blann wrote:
4. you can still use 2006 for your extra (above-5) languages

If you buy an upgrade, you are not allowed to use the older version any longer. If you want to, you will have to purchase an extra 2007 license. See the EULA.

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
OT: 272 combinations Mar 16, 2009

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

I picked three languages, and together they total 17 languages to choose from (Canadian French, Belgian French, French French, Luxembourg French, British English, Canadian English, US English, etc.). That's over 200 language combinations...

Indeed! 272, to be precise

Emma Gledhill
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
responses Mar 16, 2009

1. you have got 4 working languages in your proz profile

So?

2. you can buy an upgrade to 2007 FL (not that expensive)
9. you have invested a lot of money 11 years ago--not written off yet?

Written off? Financially, yes. But the idea of *paying* to lose functionality rather goes against the grain.

Pavel Blann  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
Re: Illegal responses Mar 16, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:
If you buy an upgrade, you are not allowed to use the older version any longer. If you want to, you will have to purchase an extra 2007 license. See the EULA.

you're right. emma would have to buy an extra 2007 FL license.

however, as a business continuity software upgrade scenario, one should always keep the previous version as a backup. but that's another topic.

Emma Gledhill wrote:
So?

Written off? Financially, yes. But the idea of *paying* to lose functionality rather goes against the grain.

well?

if you shelled out L4000 eleven years ago, that's L364 per year. the cost of an _extra_ 2007 FL license is L395 and you can still use the 2006 version. apart from the 5-language limitation, you're paying for more functionality, of course.

but an _upgrade_ from a full 2006 product to a limited 2007 product doesn't make sense due to the licensing policy mentioned above.

Jonathan von Zelowitz  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Waiting to see Apr 1, 2009

Very interesting thread.
As for me...
1. I am interested in an improved tool. SDLX/Trados 2006 leaves much room for improvement.
2. I am planning to test Déjà Vu this year due to my lack of satisfaction with my current tool.
3. I would, in any case, need to retain my current tool (or 100% compatibility) for several years as a transition period. Trados, in particular, is far too entrenched with customers for me to do otherwise.
4. If "Trados 2009" has significantly improved functionality/productivity, a reasonable upgrade price, and 100% backward compatibility (or allows retention of the old license), I will be interested. If not, I will look elsewhere, and keep my Trados 2006 for situations where compatibility is the key.

Drew MacFadyen
Local time: 16:53
SITE STAFF
Upgrade offer will expire April 15 Apr 2, 2009

I see from this link - http://www.translationzone.com/en/shop/shop_upgrades.asp upgrade offers will expire on April 15th, I also have been told that at some point in the not too distant future upgrades from some older versions may no longer be permitted. When I have more complete information I will post it here. You can also check http://www.proz.com/sdltrados in a week or so, as that page will also be updated with the information.

Thanks

Drew

French to Polish
+ ...
Crystal ball... Apr 4, 2009

Drew MacFadyen wrote:

I see from this link - http://www.translationzone.com/en/shop/shop_upgrades.asp upgrade offers will expire on April 15th,

But the April 16th, I imagine, the grace period will start and every customer who purchases/ugrades after this date will receive Trados 2009 "for free".
Of course, the pricing may be very different.

So. if you want a "secure" upgrade. buy now.
If you like hazard, wait a little bit.

I also have been told that at some point in the not too distant future upgrades from some older versions may no longer be permitted.

SDLX 2005 and Trados 7, of course.

BTW.
A quotation from the page you pointed:
If you are currently on Trados 6.z / 5.x or below or SDLX 2004 / SDLX 2003 or below please contact us now through the LivePerson help chat on your left.
So, it's still some hidden door open

[...]

Cheers
GG

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrade musings

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums