Reasons to upgrade from Trados 7.*???
Thread poster: Angela Dickson

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:37
French to English
+ ...
Mar 17, 2009

I received a promotional email from SDL today, offering a discount on upgrades to SDL Trados 2007 Suite. I currently use Trados 7.1.0.719 and am quite happy with it.

The email included the following paragraph:

"To enable us to continue providing superior technical assistance and product knowledge, we will cease to support and provide upgrade pricing for TRADOS 7.x and SDLX 2005 within the next few months. This will allow us to focus on the latest software versions used by the majority of our customers. We therefore strongly recommend that customers on TRADOS 7.x and SDLX 2005 take advantage of the March upgrade offers, and also purchase an SDL Premium Software Maintenance Agreement (PSMA) to get the next product version at no extra cost."

I have never had a service contract, nor particularly felt the need for one. The software does what I need it to do. Aside from withdrawal of support and cessation of "upgrade pricing" (what does this mean?), can anyone think of a compelling reason for me to spend £148 on an upgrade?

[Edited at 2009-03-17 15:59 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 22:37
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Think of it as amortization ... Mar 17, 2009

that keeps your capital equipment at the optimal level. The alternative is to ignore it all and eventually write it off - and then being forced to buy completely new. All those TWB 6.x users asking how to make it run should be a warning sign.

Regards

Vito

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Just do it Mar 17, 2009

I'm no great fan of SDL Trados as many know, but the upgrade is worthwhile for technical reasons. I've been skating along happily on version 7.5 for a while and was reluctant to upgrade, though I did finally buy an upgrade to 8.3 with the intention of using it for screenshots for some documentation. It turned out to be a very lucky move.

A few days ago I had a high-value urgent project for which the Trados 7.5 INX filter failed me (usually it works well, but it corrupted the file this time). I was able to get the work started with the Déjà Vu filter, which is at least stable, even if it is badly defined at the moment, but after I installed the Trados 8.3 (2007 Suite) version, the files round-tripped beautifully with no corruption. And the segmentation is superior in any case.

A colleague of mine claims that Word files in TagEditor work better with the current version, though my experience so far does little to confirm this. So as usual, SDL Trados keeps a few important bugs - excuse me, features - to keep us on our toes.....

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 18, 2009

Thanks to Vito and Kevin.

And the segmentation is superior in any case.

There's one! A reason for upgrading, I mean. In any case, I'm coming round to the idea that I should upgrade. Though another approach would be to hang on for a while, and then an upgrade would be nearly the same price as a new tool, which would mean I could shop around for a new tool without feeling I'd wasted money on tools/upgrades I wouldn't use.

F'rinstance, I have a Déjà Vu demo CD which was handed to me at a recent conference, and I have heard excellent things about MemoQ, but haven't tried out either tool yet, firstly through lack of time, and secondly because I have already invested time and money in Trados and am happy enough with it.

I'd still like to find out what SDL means when they say they will no longer provide upgrade pricing - will that mean it'll be completely impossible to upgrade from 7.* in future, or will it just mean jumping through a couple of hoops/emailing a couple of people in order to do so? If I find an answer, I'll post it here.

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Yes, exactly Mar 18, 2009

It won't be possible to 'upgrade' from version 7.x, the oly possibility offered will be to buy the software at the full price. It was already the case 1 year or so ago (or even longer) when it was announced that 6.x wasn't supported anymore and no upgrade pricing would be offered.

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Request from customers Mar 18, 2009

I happily use MemoQ by default (integrated interface, set which cells to translate in an Excel sheet, quick and easy TU sorting features, real-time wysiwyg target view, versatile QA options, easy TU extension/shrinking, awesome support...) and I thought I could get away with v7.5 for some time, until one customer specifically requested Trados v8.
To me this is was a compelling reason. So I upgraded for 76 euros (from v7.5) a week or so ago. I didn't know that they phase out v7 just like they did for v6. A bit pushy if you ask me.
Unfortunately the consolidated Synergy arrangement doesn't really integrate with my own workflow (it looks much better than the Workspace feature in v5, though).
Plus, switching from Find to Replace in TagEditor still requires 3 mouse clicks (never been able to use keyboard shortcuts) instead of one for most competitors.

However I don't regret upgrading, as Windows 7 is out next year and v7 may no longer be usable when you change computers/OS.

Kidn regards,
Philippe

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Mar 18, 2009

Thanks to Marie-Claude and Philippe,

Philippe Etienne wrote:

However I don't regret upgrading, as Windows 7 is out next year and v7 may no longer be usable when you change computers/OS.

This may end up being the most compelling reason for me - my computer is relatively old and while it is currently still usable, I think I'll need a replacement in the next year or so. Having the latest software will then be quite important.

After what you have all said, I have paid the £148 for the upgrade.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reasons to upgrade from Trados 7.*???

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs