Thread poster: Hanna Burdon
Hanna Burdon
Hanna Burdon  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:04
English to Polish
+ ...
Mar 20, 2009

So, I've got this Polish document (.doc). When I open it in Word, it looks normal, all the Polish fonts are there. But in TagEditor they're only there for the first page or two. After that instead of the correct diacritics I get the "krzaczki" familiar to all Polish internet users - the type you get when you try to display a Central-European-encoded webpage using Western-European encoding. Can anyone tell me why this is happening and how to fix it, if possible?

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:04
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Software version? Mar 20, 2009

Did you check font used in Word?
Are you using font mapping and displaying formatting in Tageditor?
If yes, then the answer is simple: Word uses a different font to map a font which is not existent in your PC, but Tageditor does use a diferent one, which cannot display Polish.
I would strongly recommend recreating the TTX with new filter settings, where display formatting and font mapping are switched off.
Here is a screen shot of desired setting:

Deselect both options (they are on per default) and press "Save". Then recreate the ttx and you should have no problems anymore.
Collapse

Hanna Burdon
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 20, 2009

Phew, that seems to have solved the problem, thank you.

Would you say that it's best to leave those two fields unchecked permanently, or only uncheck them when I encounter a font issue?

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
My answer is an unlimited yes Mar 20, 2009

Displaying formatting and using font mapping is only disturbing in my eyes.
When it comes to unexperienced users they see tags and formatting in one sentence. Sometimes when you write in Tageditor even there formatting changes, leaving the user with the impression having done something wrong. The program seems to work in wrong way then. However, when you switch off formatting and font mapping, the whole text is plain Arial and no problems whatsoever appear. The only "problem" are tags - yo
... See more
Displaying formatting and using font mapping is only disturbing in my eyes.
When it comes to unexperienced users they see tags and formatting in one sentence. Sometimes when you write in Tageditor even there formatting changes, leaving the user with the impression having done something wrong. The program seems to work in wrong way then. However, when you switch off formatting and font mapping, the whole text is plain Arial and no problems whatsoever appear. The only "problem" are tags - you need some imagination to understand them. But once you get the idea of tags you can play around with them and be happy
Collapse

Hanna Burdon
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ah, tags Mar 20, 2009

I haven't conquered tags yet. I suppose I will have to make it my next TagEditor quest.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do not conquer them Mar 20, 2009

but simply imagine what they are for.
When writing html, you use them and they are simple.
You wanna have a word in bold, use <b>bold</b> tags.
Use your imagination and they will not be a secret anymore.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor: Polish diacritics not displayed correctly

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »