Mobile menu

How to change font in TagEditor
Thread poster: xxxNaseeruddin
xxxNaseeruddin  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:14
English to Urdu
+ ...
Mar 25, 2009

I opened a Word file in TagEditor for translation in one of the Asian languages. The problem is that I am not able to type the proper Asian characters. Somebody told me that we need to change the font of the original Word file and then reopen in TagEditor. This way TagEditor will recognize the desired font.

Since this is a Unicode font, Word does not allow me to change the English text to my desired font. I can only use this font on the target language.

I just need to know now is there any way I can use my desired font for target language in TagEditor? Remember, I need to work on a Word file in TagEitor and I cannot change the font of the Word file. Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:44
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
There is no way of changing font in Tageditor Mar 25, 2009

But if your languages are set up properly, eveerything should work as desired.
Tageditor is per design a program WITHOUT any formatting.

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Provide more info Mar 25, 2009

Which Asian language are you having problem with? Which version of Trados are you using?

Only Trados 7 onwards supports Indian languages. If you are using Trados 6 or earlier, then Asian languages won't work with it.

You have to have the language setting in the TM correctly set for source and target language.

For example the translation is from English to Hindi, then the TM you are using with TagEditor should be set like that.

Also check the font being used for Hindi( or the language you are having trouble with). For Trados TM to work properly, this should be a unicode encoded font.

For example, in the case of Hindi, it can't be a font like KrutiDev or Shusha, it must be something like Mangal or Arial Unicode MS.

English to Urdu
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
kartika Unicode Font Mar 25, 2009

[quote]Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

Which Asian language are you having problem with? Which version of Trados are you using?

Only Trados 7 onwards supports Indian languages. If you are using Trados 6 or earlier, then Asian languages won't work with it.

----------------------

I am using Trados 2007. Language settings are just perfect here. I have a translation in Kartika font. It is a Malayalam font. I was copying and pasting from Word file into Tag Editor but some characters are changing. There are some problems with Arial Unicode MS font for Malayalam language so we prefer to work with Kartika font. Since the original English file is written in Arial font, TagEditor identifies the English font and provides settings for the target language in the same font. I do not want to use Arial font or Arial Unicode on target language.

I can present another example that Mangal is also a Unicode font but if you change the English text to Mangal in Word, it won't allow you to do so and the English text would remain in Arial or any other English font. Even translation in Mangal is not possible in TagEditor. Whenever we try to translate in Hindi in TagEditor, it automatically translates in Arial Unicode MS. And we just want to use Mangal for translation.

I do not know how the Japanese people use MS MinCho Japanese font in TagEditor for Word files? Any idea?

English to Urdu
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MS Mincho Font Mar 25, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

But if your languages are set up properly, eveerything should work as desired.
Tageditor is per design a program WITHOUT any formatting.

------------------------

You can take an example of MS MinCho Japanese font. They translate Word files in TagEditor in this font. But how?? My problem has the same scenario! Any ideas?

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:44
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Tageditor does only open an existing file Mar 25, 2009

Change the formatting in Word to a font you prefer.
Then in FilterSettings switch Display formatting and font mapping off.
See screensho for details.

Please note: Tageditor does not support ANY formatting. What you sometimes see in it, is just DISPLAY formatting - instead of showing all in plain text (what would be the perfect solution, as all formatting is stored in tags) TE shows bold, italic and some other text attributes.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to change font in TagEditor

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs