Can you Translate a TTX file (INX) with a lower version of Trados
Thread poster: Bennyhi
Bennyhi
Local time: 01:45
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Mar 29, 2009

Hi,

I needed to translate an INX file, but my translator's Trados tageditior did not support well the INX file.

I did the following:
I converted the INX file to TTX and sent it to the translator.
He then send me the translated TTX which I convert back to the INX file.
The INX file worked fine.

Is this method OK? will it work every time?

Notes:
The translator is not allowed to change the name of the file.
The Target ttx file is with no tag errors.

Thanks,

Benny

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:45
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I would not rely on this process Mar 29, 2009

In fact my experience on this matter is very different.
SDL says on its help portal http://talisma.sdl.com , that when processing InDesign files ALL (literally: ALL) instances processing the file MUST have EXACTLY the same Trados version, including even all patches.
So, however this worked now for you, I would say, that the probability it will NOT work is very high.
Recently I have had processed some INX files with SDL Trados 2007 version 8.3.0.863. When I've got a file created with version 8.2.0.835 this file did NOT save as target, even if there were no tag errors.
So I would strongly reccommend to use only the same version of Trados to be on the safe side or at least doing always a test before the whole file is translated. Simply let the translator open the file, translate some few parts of it in the beginning, middle and end of the file and then let it be send to you and test. If it's working now, it should work later too. Otherwise you could send the INX to the translator for complete processing - opening in Tageditor, translating and saving as target.

Best regards
Jerzy

Bennyhi
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
reply to Jerzy Mar 29, 2009

Hi Jerzy,
thanks for your comment.
Please note that I already tried it out and it worked out well.

As I wrote before - the person who converts the INX file to TTX is usually the only one who can convert the the TTX file back to INX format.

I was just wondering if the translators "TRADOS" make changes on the original TTX or it just translates the tags.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not sure about that Mar 29, 2009

Benny Hillman wrote:
... was just wondering if the translators "TRADOS" make changes on the original TTX or it just translates the tags.

Really, I do not know. That's why I suggest testing each time, as INX files are really bad. So if one works next one might very well not.

Best
Jerzy

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
There are problems between different versions of TagEditor, but Mar 29, 2009

you can always translate the file with Swordfish provided that you pretranslate it first in Workbench+TagEditor. The version/build of TagEditor does not matter for Swordfish.

There is no TTX tags lost in the process. I've tested this workflow on many occasions.

HTH

Piotr

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Use... Mar 29, 2009

... ttxpress to open TTX-file in Word as RTF and translate using any CAT-tool, then export back top TTX.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can you Translate a TTX file (INX) with a lower version of Trados

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs