Mobile menu

Always add new translation unit when target segments differ (is not working)
Thread poster:  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:37
English to Arabic
+ ...
Mar 29, 2009

Although I configured my TM to allow multiple translations when I created it, and the option (Always add new translation unit when target segments differ) is checked, I can not create new target segment of the same source. What happens is that the recent target segment always overwrites the old one. What

I use Translator's Workbench (professional), Version 8.0

I have read Help file in this regard but I do not get the intended result:

Adding Multiple Translations to Translator's Workbench
• Add as New Translation command is available on the Workbench whenever
Translator’s Workbench identifies an exact multiple translation or 100% match for
the currently open translation unit in your document. The Add as New Translation
command gives you the option of creating a new translation for the current source
segment, which is then stored along with the original translation unit, as a multiple
translation unit in the translation memory.
• When you create a multiple translation using Add as New Translation in Word or
TagEditor, a message appears in the status bar of Translator's Workbench saying
New translation added successfully. Use "Set/Close" to continue. By default,
Translator's Workbench applies a 1% match penalty to multiple translations.
Accordingly, whenever a multiple translation is retrieved from the translation
memory, a message appears in the status bar of Translator's Workbench saying
Exact Match, -1% Multiple Translations.
• To avoid unnecessary duplication in the translation memory, Translator's Workbench
applies certain restrictions to the creation of multiple translations for identical source
segments. By default, multiple translation units with identical source segments are
allowed only if the project settings for these translation units are different. However,
if you select the Allow multiple translations with identical source segments option
when creating a new translation memory, Translator's Workbench allows you to
create multiple translation units with identical source segments without having to
define different project settings for each translation unit.
• The multiple translation property is defined when you are creating a new
translation memory: it cannot be changed afterwards.
• By default, not selected.

Thank you for help

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Always add new translation unit when target segments differ (is not working)

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs