United Kingdom
Local time: 13:56
Member (2004)
English to Czech
+ ...
Mar 29, 2009

Software: SDL Edit 2007 SP3

Hello,
I usually work with TagEditor or Workbench, so this is probably a very basic query.
I received an .itd file for editing. The PM asked me to track changes. After opening the file in SDL, I cannot locate any menu similar to Word's tracking of changes which would enable me to do so.

Is there an option to track changes while editing .itd files? If yes, where can I active this?

Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

keshab  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:26
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
track change in SDL way Mar 29, 2009

At first we should remember that MS word and SDLX are two different softwares. So special characteristic of a particular software cannot be expected from other. Track change is the review tool of MS word. This is used to indicate error and insert comments.

SDL also has its own review tool.
Select a segment and go to Edit> Comments. Instead of indicating a word like MS word, it takes the whole segment and you have to indicate the errors in it. After completion the review of the segment, go to Edit>Marker>Set Marker. the reviewed segment becomes marked in red.

It's cool. Isn't it?

Marcela Hashim  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:56
Member (2004)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tracking changes - SDL - thank you Mar 29, 2009

Thank you, I was worried I missed something.

Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:56
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
Not cool Mar 30, 2009

Thank you for the explanation, keshab! Learning something new every day.

keshab wrote:
SDL also has its own review tool.
Select a segment and go to Edit> Comments. Instead of indicating a word like MS word, it takes the whole segment and you have to indicate the errors in it. After completion the review of the segment, go to Edit>Marker>Set Marker. the reviewed segment becomes marked in red.

It's cool. Isn't it?

However, I'm afraid that is not cool. It's just another example of how counter-intuitive and antiproductive SDLX really is!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tracking changes while editing .itd files

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs