switching old trados (freelance 6.5) license to a new computer
Thread poster: dmach
dmach
Finland
Local time: 13:51
English to Finnish
+ ...
Apr 1, 2009

I used to work as a freelance translator and had Trados freelance 6.5 (which must be ancient by now). Now I find myself in a situation, in which I could really use the old software for a few odd things. Naturally, my hardware has changed many times over and all I have left is the license.

I still have an account with SDL Trados, and it reads there that I can "generate" 1 license file (I have no idea what that even means, if anything). No activation codes are listed there, though. But I have freelance 6.5 downloads and updates available. I haven't bothered to download them, since they are useless, if there is no way to activate them.

The reason I'm here bothering you with my problem is that SDL doesn't provide support for old products. This I find very strange indeed, unless, of course, the old software cannot be even used anymore. I'm not working as a full-time translator anymore, so updating to a more recent version is a not really an option - unless I want a brand new, expensive software, which I'm going to use a couple of times a month or something...

My question: Does anyone know, if it is even possible to activate this old software in my new computer? How am I going to get the activation codes, if I can't even get support from SDL?

In any case, I would really appreciate tips, solutions, experiences on this... anything. Thank you:)

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:51
French to Polish
+ ...
Just copy your licence.lic file on the new PC... Apr 1, 2009

dmach wrote:

I used to work as a freelance translator and had Trados freelance 6.5 (which must be ancient by now).

It is, indeed

Now I find myself in a situation, in which I could really use the old software for a few odd things. Naturally, my hardware has changed many times over and all I have left is the license.

I still have an account with SDL Trados, and it reads there that I can "generate" 1 license file (I have no idea what that even means, if anything).

Just redownload this file.
As I remember, this code will work on all the machines in the universe

If it doesnt't work, return the licence (a button like this should be available) and regenerate it.

PS.
I had dongles up to Trados 2006, I may be wrong somewhere...

Cheers
GG

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

switching old trados (freelance 6.5) license to a new computer

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs