How to add Attributes after TM is already Setup??
Thread poster: David Jessop
David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 3, 2009

Hello,

At this helpful link I learned how to define translation memory fields (http://www.translatum.gr/forum/index.php/topic,23306.0.html)

I am a fairly new user of Trados and am wondering how to add these Attribute fields after the TM has been created and utilized. For example, I have a variety of Attribute Fields, one of them being Subject. Subjec
... See more
Hello,

At this helpful link I learned how to define translation memory fields (http://www.translatum.gr/forum/index.php/topic,23306.0.html)

I am a fairly new user of Trados and am wondering how to add these Attribute fields after the TM has been created and utilized. For example, I have a variety of Attribute Fields, one of them being Subject. Subject has, let's say: Contracts, Real Estate, and Telecommunications. Say I want to add "Anthropology" after I have already done a project with the TM. I am stumped here... if it is in Maintenance in the File menu, I cannot figure out how to do this correctly.

Thanks for any help!
Collapse

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 06:01
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Try... Apr 4, 2009

Xbench.

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:01
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Use "Find and Replace" Apr 5, 2009

First, define the attribute and its values in File -> Setup -> Fields.

Then, open Maintenance and click the "Find and Replace" button.

Under "Text and attribute fields", select the desired attribute and value and choose whether you want to merge the new value with the existing values (if any), overwrite the existing values with the new one or remove the value (if it exist). Click OK.

If you want to apply the new attribute only on certain segments, you shoul
... See more

Under "Text and attribute fields", select the desired attribute and value and choose whether you want to merge the new value with the existing values (if any), overwrite the existing values with the new one or remove the value (if it exist). Click OK.

If you want to apply the new attribute only on certain segments, you should use "Filter".

Now click "Begin Search".

When the results show up, click "Change" and choose the desired option.

Good luck!
Collapse

David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification?? Apr 5, 2009

Yossi Rozenman wrote:

If you want to apply the new attribute only on certain segments, you should use "Filter".

Now click "Begin Search".

When the results show up, click "Change" and choose the desired option.

Good luck!

Thank you Yossi for trying to help. However, this procedure that you described does not seem to allow me to add NEW ATTRIBUTES. Say, for example, my Attribute Field is "Subject" and in the Attribute Field "Subject" I have the following in the Attribute Picklist: "Pigs" Horses" and "Bears." Now, I want to add "Dogs" to this... I put "Dogs" in the Text field content box in Find and Replace but then there seems to be no way to add it....If I hit Enter it leaves the screen and otherwise I am not sure what to type... thanks for any help!

Best,
David

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:01
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Adding new attribute values Apr 5, 2009

OK, now I understand. The problem is that Trados is VERY not intuitive.

To add a new attribute value:
1. Close any open segment, if one is open.
2. Open File -> Setup... -> Fields.
3. In the Attribute fields list click the desired attribute.
4. In the Attribute values list on the right click any entry.
5. Now click Add.
6. Enter the value in the text box Field.
7. Click OK.

HTH

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to add Attributes after TM is already Setup??

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »