Thread poster: Linda Ferwerda
Linda Ferwerda  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:20
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Apr 5, 2009

Hi,

Is anyone using Trados on a Mac computer? Does it work well or do you experience lots of problems? Please advise. Right now Trados is the only reason why I am not working on a Mac yet.....

Thanks!

Linda

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxK. Ganly  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:20
French to English
+ ...
No Trados for Mac Apr 5, 2009

As far as i am aware there is no Trados for Mac. (i think this has come up in forum posts before a few times, such as here: http://www.proz.com/forum/apple_mac_operating_systems/12959-trados_for_macintosh.html)

I use a Mac and have not really suffered from not having Trados, you can use Wordfast with Mac and also the open source tools such as Omega T.
Most agencies who say they require Trados for jobs are usually happy as long as you are using some kind of CAT tool, in my experience.

Mary Stefan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:20
Member (2006)
Romanian to English
+ ...
:( Apr 5, 2009

Hello Linda,

Here is my experience:

I've divided my 4GB in two (disc partition) trying to install Trados on a virtual PC.
Things went right until I inserted the Windows XP disc and my Mac froze. A scalding sensation and feeling of nausea took me by surprise.
I've heard people saying it works just fine. Don't know what happened in my case and when I called the Apple phone customer support representative I knew more than he did (I was in Egypt at the time). I finally found an Apple representation/computer store in Mohandeseen (for all the MAC owners living in Egypt at the moment) and figured it out.

If you give it a try and it works kindly let me know. I still have the sealed Trados CD in my desk drawer

Kindest regards,
Mary

Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
VirtualBox Apr 5, 2009

Trados in a Mac will work with virtualization software, such as VirtualBox or Parallels. I'm using Windows and Trados via VirtualBox in a MacBook and a Mac Mini, no problems at all.

Actually I use Windows only for Trados and Finereader, for everything else I use Mac.

Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison
Malaysia
Local time: 05:20
English to Polish
+ ...
Ok, I'm going to ask a very noobie blond question. Apr 5, 2009

If I wanted to get Trados for my Mac, I'd need to get:
Virtual Box/Parallels
Windows OS
MS Office
Trados (obviously:)
Am I correct?

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
Yes Apr 5, 2009

Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison wrote:

Virtual Box/Parallels
Windows OS
MS Office
Am I correct?

Correct.

I use VMware

Regards

Fernando

Tim van den Oudenhoven
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Yes Apr 5, 2009

Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison wrote:

Virtual Box/Parallels
Windows OS
MS Office
Am I correct?

Yes, that's right.

I'm using Parallels and if you keep the Windows partition on your hard drive under 32GB, then you can easily transfer files between both systems. I'd recommend you install Windows XP instead of Vista, because Vista will use a lot more memory.

There's really no reason not to use a Mac (apart from the cost of course).

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Alternative Apr 6, 2009

Or if you have one of the newer (Intel-based) Macs you might try BootCamp, i.e. install Windows separately to MacOS on the computer. That way you can get the pretty, pretty design (at a high, high price) and still use Windows as you would on any other PC, with the ability to boot MacOS whenever you feel like it.

Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison
Malaysia
Local time: 05:20
English to Polish
+ ...
I've been working on a Mac for about 5 years now Apr 6, 2009

and I do not miss Windows at all. The only reason for using it, would be Trados, and I think I'd rather run Paralells than boot the whole computer.
I have tried Wordfast, but that requires MS Word for Mac which I have recently gotten rid of (working with Pages solely now). For some reason it kept going 'funny' on me - like deciding that the =/+ key would perform the same functions as 'arrow down' (and yes, I went to see 'professionals' and we could not figure it out, and yes once again, it was happening only in Word...).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mac and Trados

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs