I’ve just bought SDL Trados. How to connect to TM servers?
Thread poster: Raúl Tomassini
Raúl Tomassini
Raúl Tomassini
Spain
Local time: 06:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 6, 2009

Hi,

I’ve just bought the SDL Trados. I am not able to connect to TM servers because I do not have their details. I have tried to ask for help to the company but, up to now, I have got no response. I would appreciate if someone could explain me how can I get TM servers, names, passwords and all necessary to log in. Thanks in advance.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-04-07 19:32 GMT]

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TM-Server connection Apr 6, 2009

Hello,

there is no possibility to give you the details because only your client has the needed information.

You need an IP address and a port, the connection method (http or tcp) (tcp is faster).
Then you need a user name and a password.

With this information, you can connect to the TM Server and open the memory.

Regards

Hans

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 07:40
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
TM-server credentials Apr 6, 2009

are job-dependent and provided by the agent/employer/client directly to the executor.

The server-based TMs are managed centrally (service payable by the agent/employer/client) and accessed by all translators, proofreaders and other staff working on a specific project.

For instance, if you work in 1 (software) on large projects managed by any LSP.
The LSP is subscribed to the services rendered by 1 (software) on large projects managed by any LSP.
The LSP is subscribed to the services rendered by 2 (company) and has a set of accounts used by the staff and handed out to the translators involved in the projects.
The cost of TM management is charged not to the LSP directly, but to the end clients of the LSP...
You see it is a system that you have nothing to do with.
All you need here is to get login credentials for the (each) project you are involved...
2 has many TM servers and runs many TMs and glossaries at a time. When you log in you get connected to the resources you need for this particular project.

You can download neither the TM, nor the glossary... but you have full on-line access to them as long as you are logged on... (Of course, you can save the files you work with, as they are local files, and use them for local clean-up to build your own local TM... and glossaries...)

(Edited for compliance with Forum Rule #8)

[Редактировалось 2009-04-07 06:17 GMT]
Collapse

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
They usually serve some purpose Apr 6, 2009

Raúl Tomassini wrote:

I would appreciate if someone could explain me how can I get TM servers, names, passwords and all necessary to log in.

TM Servers are usually set up for some reason - to allow group of translators work with the same TM while translating project/series of project. I have never seen TM Server working as "public" repository.

Raúl Tomassini
Raúl Tomassini
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your responses Apr 6, 2009

As far as I can understand, memories based on servers are not public and TRADOS does not supply any kind of memory. Memories based on servers are just accessible in translations projects or when a Server administrator allows sharing a memory, provided that you take part in that project. I have misunderstood; I thought the product included the access to memories. Thanks for your kind help.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A good opportunity... Apr 7, 2009

Raúl Tomassini wrote:
As far as I can understand, memories based on servers are not public and TRADOS does not supply any kind of memory. Memories based on servers are just accessible in translations projects or when a Server administrator allows sharing a memory, provided that you take part in that project. I have misunderstood; I thought the product included the access to memories. Thanks for your kind help.

Yes, indeed that is the situation. If Trados' representatives led you to think that you would have access to public memories today, they made a clear (intentional?) mistake.

In any case, Trados is an industrial-strength tool and I am sure it help you very much in your normal work. Just make sure you use Trados for as many projects as possible, and the purchase will pay itself soon. It will also attract many new customers to you, particularly agencies and companies who also chose Trados for their business (a majority of serious agencies have).

May I also suggest that you try to get some proper training in the use and possibilities of Trados, via some representative in your area? As I said, Trados is an industrial-strength tool in all senses, i.e. it can be obscure at times. Getting one day of training will save you tons of doubts and worries and will help you make the maximum use of the tool to your benefit.

Things like translation memory organisation, division of memories by client / end client, etc. has been discussed a lot in these fora (do a search for that information), but if you have some specific query I'd be happy to help. Just email via Proz whenever you need.

Raúl Tomassini
Raúl Tomassini
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Gracias Tomás Apr 7, 2009

Hi Tomás,
Thanks a lot for your answer. None at Trados influenced me to think they would supply memories. But they did not answer my queries nor they forwarded me a support email address. Even though I know they offer a support service on a fee basis, I think they should render a better support freely, considering the product is not so cheap.
Yes, in fact, I am aware that it will help me (I hope) to attract customers and take part in new projects, this was one of the main reasons wh
... See more
Hi Tomás,
Thanks a lot for your answer. None at Trados influenced me to think they would supply memories. But they did not answer my queries nor they forwarded me a support email address. Even though I know they offer a support service on a fee basis, I think they should render a better support freely, considering the product is not so cheap.
Yes, in fact, I am aware that it will help me (I hope) to attract customers and take part in new projects, this was one of the main reasons why I have bought Trados, besides its advantages as strength tool itself.
On the other hand, yes indeed I am thinking over to get a training. I am searching one in my area.
Thanks Tomás again and thanks everybody for your responses. And feel free to contact me, whenever you want to, through PorZ or my email address, available at my profile. My expertise field is Aeronautics.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good luck Raúl!! Apr 7, 2009

¡Mucha suerte! Greetings from Guadalajara in central Spain.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I’ve just bought SDL Trados. How to connect to TM servers?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »