Tamer Mekhimar  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 21:04
Member (2009)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Apr 7, 2009

Hello Everyone;
I have a question regarding is it possible to clean TTX files without their sources? to make my self clear, I have the .ttx file, but the source (.xls) is not available. Also, when I am trying to clean without the source I got message "Class is not registered" what does this mean?

Thanks in advance.

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:04
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You can´t! Apr 7, 2009

TTX files can´t be cleaned without the source file.

Regards

Clarisa

Ulf Norlinger
Ulf Norlinger  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Clean will not give the desired result Apr 8, 2009

1) Without the source you will still have .ttx-files after cleaning, not in the "converted-to-source"-format.

2) This can be because of:
a) failed to load dll due to a missing/corrupt .dll. To fix it you have to RUN: regsvr32 xxx.dll
b) Permissions problem in the registry. (set as local administrator for the machine).
c) Missing file

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 22:04
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
You can. Apr 8, 2009

Convert the translated TTX-file to RTF using TTXpress (freeware), then open it in Word and clean up using Trados toolbar/menu as any translated Word-file.

(Edited to insert the download link.)

[Редактировалось 2009-04-08 06:41 GMT]

Tamer Mekhimar
Egypt
Member (2009)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 8, 2009

Thanks Sergei Leshchinsky. You are the man!

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:04
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
But you've got a Word file. Apr 10, 2009

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:

Convert the translated TTX-file to RTF using TTXpress (freeware), then open it in Word and clean up using Trados toolbar/menu as any translated Word-file.

(Edited to insert the download link.)

[Редактировалось 2009-04-08 06:41 GMT]

Tamer's original file was *.xls. Will he recover the original format when converting it to Excel?

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Will he recover the original format ... Apr 11, 2009

Clarisa Moraña wrote:
Tamer's original file was *.xls. Will he recover the original format when converting it to Excel?

No. Neither will he see any non-translatables and any other language-independent content - he may be in luck and none were there, but I strongly doubt it, at the very least, the spreadsheet and cell assignments will be missing.

But it will probably look better in Word than it looks in TagEditor (g).

Regards

Vito

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 22:04
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
What is the purpose of cleanup? Apr 11, 2009

1) If you want to update your TM, follow my recipe.

2) If you want to translate the file in Word, not in TegEditor, follow my recipe and then export the translated text back to TTX.

3) If you want to produce a final target file, you WILL need the source anyway. If you were not given the source, then why should you bother? You got TTX only and you give TTX only back. (TTX does not contain formatting, embedded objects, images etc. it contains only links to those in the so
... See more
1) If you want to update your TM, follow my recipe.

2) If you want to translate the file in Word, not in TegEditor, follow my recipe and then export the translated text back to TTX.

3) If you want to produce a final target file, you WILL need the source anyway. If you were not given the source, then why should you bother? You got TTX only and you give TTX only back. (TTX does not contain formatting, embedded objects, images etc. it contains only links to those in the source file. TTX cannot produce the target file itself through the lack of data.)
Collapse

Tamer Mekhimar
Egypt
Member (2009)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
proofreading Apr 18, 2009

Thank you all for your help. The reason I interested in having the source is that I need to proofread the translation as one unit to do the changes as per the context and linking the sentences. So, are there any software or tool for proofreading and correcting the style?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Clean TTX without source files

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »