Mobile menu

How to create TM from source and target texts, translated without Trados?
Thread poster: Kristine Sprula (Lielause)

Kristine Sprula (Lielause)  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 08:03
English to Latvian
+ ...
Apr 8, 2009

Dear colleagues,
I have a source text and a target text, translated without Trados. Please advise me how to create a TM from these files.

Kristine

Direct link Reply with quote

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
This process is called alignment Apr 8, 2009

and has been discussed extensively, including in this forum. Go and search.

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
WinAlign Apr 8, 2009

Alignment tools are used for this purpose. IMO, LogiTerm Align Factory is the best one but you can use WinAlign as well. It is included in the SDL Trados package.

Selcuk

Andrea Martínez  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:03
Spanish to German
+ ...
Alignment- Apr 8, 2009

Export-Import into TM. Depending on the text, this is quite a long process (I've just aligned a 300 pages text today) which had a lot of differences between the two versions. It is not difficult but you have to take care that the aligned segments are really matching. Kind regards!

[Bearbeitet am 2009-04-08 21:20 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Without Trados? Use PlusTools Apr 8, 2009

Kristine Lielause wrote:
I have a source text and a target text, translated without Trados. Please advise me how to create a TM from these files.

As another respondent said, it is called alignment and has been discussed extensively. Every new post will contain the name of the poster's favourite aligner which he believes is the tool to end all tools.

From your question I gather you do not have Trados, and therefore will not have the bundled aligner either. If you have MS Word, you can try PlusTools from the Wordfast people -- it is a free aligner.

I know of no other free aligner that works on Windows. An tool that calls itself an aligner but does not segment text, is only half an aligner, IMO.

Suyash Suprabh  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 10:33
English to Hindi
+ ...
PlusTools Apr 9, 2009

You can download PlusTools at the following link:

http://www.wordfast.com/products_plustools.html

This is one of the most useful tools available online today. I have created many glossaries by using this tool.

Sometimes you will have to check manually if the source text and the target text are aligned properly. However, this is not a very time-consuming activity. This tool is free, and I do not mind to work a little extra to make glossaries.

Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
For Samuel’s knowledge Apr 9, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

…PlusTools from the Wordfast people -- it is a free aligner.

I know of no other free aligner that works on Windows.

1) PlusTools is freeware, but not a free program!
2) TextAlign is another freeware aligner that runs on Windows and produces TMX files.
3) Didier Briel’s bligner is supposed to segment text as well and is a truly free program.
4) bitext2tmx is another free aligner that runs on Windows.

[Edited at 2009-04-09 06:08 GMT]

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Answers to esperantisto Apr 9, 2009

esperantisto wrote:
1) PlusTools is freeware, but not a free program!

You can acquire it without paying for it. As far as users are concerned, there is no difference between freeware and FLOSS. The OP is not a software developer.

I think I said this before, but in fairness I'll say it again -- to use PlusTools, you need to install Microsoft Word 97 or newer (if you don't have it already).

2) TextAlign is another freeware aligner that runs on Windows and produces TMX files.

I'm aware of TextAlign. It looks very good, but I've yet to figure out how it works.

3) Didier Briel’s bligner is supposed to segment text as well and is a truly free program.

It's freeware, but you need to register before you can download it. You also need to install either Perl or Python to use it. It is non-interactive, which means you can't check if the alignment is correct before the TM is created. It aborts if you have fewer paragraphs in the one file than in the other, so you have to fix the files manually, in two text editors, side by side, before you can use it successfully. If a paragraph in one file has two sentences and in the other file has three, then the alignment will reuse the second sentence for the translation of both second and third sentences in the other file.

PlusTools on the other hand is interactive, and it doesn't care if one file has twice as many sentences as the other, because the user can correct the misalignment in PlusTools itself. PlusTools does not, however, work on paragraphs, so if all your paragraphs in one file are one sentence shorter than in the other file, your initial alignment will be w-a-a-a-a-a-a-y out of sync. The new version of PlusTools basically puts your text in a two-column MS Word table, and adds extra keyboard shortcuts for editing the table. When you're done editing, click a button and it creates the TM. The old version of PlusTools (useful for very long files) use two MS Word files side by side, with added keyboard shortcuts to ensure that the two files scroll in sync.

4) bitext2tmx is another free aligner that runs on Windows.[

This aligner actually does segmenting and is interactive. You need to install Java to use it. My biggest gripe with bitext2tmx is that there are no keyboard shortcuts. You have to cut, paste, split and join using a mouse and pressing buttons, and editing the text while aligning it is not a simple exercise.

What I also like about PlusTools is that you can use normal MS Word functions in it, e.g. you can spell-check the text while you align it (kill two birds with one stone). You can also use Find/Replace to make bulk changes to the text while aligning it.

Alignment is a time-wasting thing to do, so if one can combine it with other tasks, so much the better. And any help from the program to make one's interaction with it faster or more powerful, is also useful.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I misunderstood your original request Apr 9, 2009

Kristine Lielause wrote:

Hmm, I misread that. I thought that you do not want to use Trados for the alignment. Sorry, if you do have Trados and you don't mind using its built-in aligner, then WinAlign is obviously the way to go.

Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
A small comment on TextAlign Apr 9, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

I'm aware of TextAlign. It looks very good, but I've yet to figure out how it works.

IMHO, it’s even simpler to use as compared to PlusTools. Just open the source, the target, analyze, correct and save to TMX.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TextAlign in English Apr 9, 2009

esperantisto wrote:
IMHO, [TextAlign is] even simpler to use as compared to PlusTools. Just open the source, the target, analyze, correct and save to TMX.

Perhaps you can post a list of the cyrillic menus, along with English translations, so we can also use it...?

Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
See there: Apr 10, 2009

http://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/132446-textalign_freeware_alignment_program.html

Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
No need to registrer for bligner Apr 10, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

It's freeware, but you need to register before you can download it.

There's no need to register, since you can get it also from
omegat.org

Didier

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to create TM from source and target texts, translated without Trados?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs