Problem in reorganizing TM
Thread poster: La Classe

La Classe  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:01
French to English
+ ...
Apr 9, 2009

Hello!

I am encountering a problem with reorganizing my TMs. I use SDL Trados 6.5 version (server architecture).

My memory consists of 180 thousand TUs. Whenever, I start reorganizing the memory. It hangs up half way, leaving my system unable to be worked again. I have to restart the system in order to work on it.

Kindly Suggest me the appropriate solution

Regards,
Manohar ROSHAN

Direct link Reply with quote

FarkasAndras
Local time: 18:31
English to Hungarian
+ ...
export, import Apr 9, 2009

La Classe wrote:

Hello!

I am encountering a problem with reorganizing my TMs. I use SDL Trados 6.5 version (server architecture).

My memory consists of 180 thousand TUs. Whenever, I start reorganizing the memory. It hangs up half way, leaving my system unable to be worked again. I have to restart the system in order to work on it.

Kindly Suggest me the appropriate solution

Regards,
Manohar ROSHAN

What I would do is export the memory into txt, create a new memory with identical properties and import the TUs from the txt. I think this is also what SDL recommends in cases like this.

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not imported Apr 9, 2009

Hello FarkasAndras,

I have exported the memory in txt format. During the export, there was no problem but when I tried to import the memory, it hung up as earlier.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Make a backup copy of you original TM Apr 9, 2009

Now close the original TM.
In the same folder create a completly new TM with exactly same settings (language pair, segmentation rules and so on - use the function "Copy" from menu "New" in Workbench (at least this is what I can do in Trados 2007)) and a name, which is similar to the old one, for instance with the added word "new", ie "TM XX-XX" for the old one and "TM XX-XX new" for the new one.

Now use Windows Explorer. Navigate to the folder where you have both TMs.
Delete files named *.iix, *.mdf, *.mtf, *.mwf from the old TM. Do not delete the *.tmw from old TM!. Delete the *.tmw from the new TM.
Now rename the old *.tmw file to match the name of other files from new TM, ie from "TM XX-XX" to "TM XX-XX new".

Open the TM in Workbench. It should work now.

Best regards
Jerzy

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still not working Apr 9, 2009

Hello!

I have followed all the steps as told by you, Jerzy Czopik. My TM is working but I am still facing the same problem regarding its reorganizing. It hangs up midway.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
When you now try to export? Apr 9, 2009

When you export and import the TM, does the problem still persist?
If so, then there is something else damaged than the TM itself, I suppose.

For that case I'm, sorry, but I have no better solution for you.

Best
Jerzy

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
txt Apr 9, 2009

La Classe wrote:

Hello FarkasAndras,

I have exported the memory in txt format. During the export, there was no problem but when I tried to import the memory, it hung up as earlier.

Well, I have no real solution for your problem but if the export was successful and you can see the TUs in the txt when you open it with a txt editor, you are at least assured that you have not lost your TM.
Perhaps something's wrong with your Trados install, perhaps there is some encoding messup, perhaps some parts of the TM are corrupted somehow. You can try and have someone else import the file for you, or export and reimport it in another format (tmx) or save the txt with different encodings, import it in bits, do some woodoo magic... it will work out in the end. I just don't know how.

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Export is fine in txt format Apr 9, 2009

Hello!

Export of the memory is fine, but the hanging problem is during the importing process

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Split the file... or use TMX... Apr 9, 2009

La Classe wrote:

Export of the memory is fine, but the hanging problem is during the importing process

Sometimes a malformed segment may cause problems.

You have two possibilities.
1) more intelligent, export as TMX ans use an XML validator in order to detect the malformed/damaged segments (the most frequent case is a tagging error, e.g. you have an opening tag without closing tag).
2) less intelligent, split the file in two, import, if the import of one of them fails, split it another time etc., after a gazillion of iterations, you'll detect all the suspects units.

PS.
As Trados doesn't log errors at import, you must use external tools if you want to speed up the error fixing.

Cheers
GG

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Only export with TXT is fine Apr 9, 2009

Hello,

The export is fine only when I export it in TXT, not TMX, as it hangs up during the TMX procedure too..............

and can you tell me how to split up the memory?

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Split the file... or use TMX... (2) Apr 9, 2009

La Classe wrote:

The export is fine only when I export it in TXT, not TMX, as it hangs up during the TMX procedure too..............

First, use an XML validator.
E.g. the TMX Validator written by Rodolfo Raya http://www.maxprograms.com/products/tmxvalidator.html
Then fix/delete the incorrect segment(s).

and can you tell me how to split up the memory?

U use a good text editor like Notepad++.
You should copy the header and save it in a file (you'll need to paste it at the beginning of every chunk you'll create.

It starts with
<RTF Preamble>
and ends with
</RTF Preamble>

Then split the file approx. in the middle between </TrU> and <TrU> and paste the header.

As your TM is huge, it will be really fastidious, so I would prefer the TMX workflow.

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem in reorganizing TM

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs