Thread poster: Pavel Lyakhovsky
Pavel Lyakhovsky
Pavel Lyakhovsky  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 18:00
English to Russian
Apr 9, 2009

Hi all,

The client sent me .mif files created in FM 8. I'm using the latest Trados version (2007 Suite). I converted .mif to .ttx using S-Tagger (source and target languages set on Settings tab), translated .ttx, converted back to .mif. No errors.

However, when I (or the client) open the translated .mif in Framemaker, all translated Russian text appears as gibberish. It looks as if Framemaker thinks it's in codepage 1252 and not 1251.

I tried to change fon
... See more
Hi all,

The client sent me .mif files created in FM 8. I'm using the latest Trados version (2007 Suite). I converted .mif to .ttx using S-Tagger (source and target languages set on Settings tab), translated .ttx, converted back to .mif. No errors.

However, when I (or the client) open the translated .mif in Framemaker, all translated Russian text appears as gibberish. It looks as if Framemaker thinks it's in codepage 1252 and not 1251.

I tried to change font from e.g. Times New Roman to Times New Roman CYR - no result.

I tried to specify Russian language in Paragraph Designer - no result.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards,
Pavel
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:00
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Did you specify the language in S-Tagger? Apr 9, 2009

When you fail to specify Russian as target, it might fail.

Is it feasible to switch to Framemaker 8 and use FontMapper?

Pavel Lyakhovsky
Georgia
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Russian specified as target Apr 9, 2009

Yes, I specified Russian as target language on Settings tab of the S-Tagger tool.

I am afraid I can't really give any advise on feasibility of switching to FM 8 - just downloaded their trial version today after the client has reported this problem with Russian encoding.

[Edited at 2009-04-09 20:47 GMT]

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
What build? Apr 9, 2009

Pavel Lyakhovsky wrote:

1. 2007 Suite, means SP3, correct? S-Tagger build should be 8.0.1.838. SP2 would work only when patched with specific hotfix.
2. Were files originally created in FM8? (.fm files, not .mif files) There is a huge technological gap between FM7 (non-Unicode) and FM8 (Unicode), not all conversions are as obvious as one may expect.
3. What are your S-Tagger settings for "Character Set"? Normal or Symbol?

Pavel Lyakhovsky
Georgia
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Build is correct Apr 10, 2009

I have S-Tagger build 8.0.1.838. Files were originally created in FM8. S-Tagger setting for "Character set" is Normal. According to the manual "Symbol" is only used for Japanese etc. However I tried switching to "Symbol" - then the text is totally corrupt, so the manual is right.

It looks as if S-Tagger doesn't take into account the language settings. It thinks the translation in in CP-1252 (Western) and converts it to the respective Unicode when performing .ttx to .mif conversion.
... See more
I have S-Tagger build 8.0.1.838. Files were originally created in FM8. S-Tagger setting for "Character set" is Normal. According to the manual "Symbol" is only used for Japanese etc. However I tried switching to "Symbol" - then the text is totally corrupt, so the manual is right.

It looks as if S-Tagger doesn't take into account the language settings. It thinks the translation in in CP-1252 (Western) and converts it to the respective Unicode when performing .ttx to .mif conversion. But it must be CP-1251 (Cyrillic)...
Collapse

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Which means the documents might not be FM8 (Unicode) Apr 10, 2009

Pavel Lyakhovsky wrote:

It looks as if S-Tagger doesn't take into account the language settings. It thinks the translation in in CP-1252 (Western) and converts it to the respective Unicode when performing .ttx to .mif conversion. But it must be CP-1251 (Cyrillic)...

I would triple check the origins of the source .fm files. It's possible the non-Unicode > Unicode conversion for the documents failed. Create a small document from scratch (in FM8), save it as MIF, do some "dummy" translations into Russian and check the final MIF. That will eliminate your S-Tagger installation as the source of the problem (I bet you will see pretty Russian characters).

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:00
English to Japanese
+ ...
And more... Apr 10, 2009

Wojciech Froelich wrote:

I would triple check the origins of the source .fm files. It's possible the non-Unicode > Unicode conversion for the documents failed. Create a small document from scratch (in FM8), save it as MIF, do some "dummy" translations into Russian and check the final MIF. That will eliminate your S-Tagger installation as the source of the problem (I bet you will see pretty Russian characters).

Hi,

I don't have FM8 and don't use s-tagger any longer for my own work , but have done (more than) enough troubleshooting with Asian fonts...

Testing the translation process with a small file is a must here, and at each step you can open files (mif/ttx) using a plain text editor. With mif, the text is all the way towards the end of the file, but you can verify how it is rendered. Also create small mif file with FM8 with Russian text, and use it for comparison. Somewhere along the way the unicode conversion is not happening.

Good luck!
Rie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Encoding problem in Framemaker after translation in Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »