Multiterm communication error
Thread poster: Mary Worby

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:41
German to English
+ ...
Apr 11, 2009

I'm running SDL Trados - Workbench Version 8.0.0.822 - with Multiterm 7.5.0.444.

I used to use Multiterm in an older Version of Trados, but since upgrading to the newer version of SDL Trados, it has never worked. But as I never had much of a termbase, I've not worried about it much and largely rely on the concordance function for terminology.

Now I've been sent quite an extensive termbase by a customer for a project. I've opened it up within MultiTerm, but cannot establish any connection between it and Workbench and/or Word. Workbench says Multiterm is not open and Word, while it claims to open the termbase, does not display the Multiterm menu correctly (just symbols, no text) and just brings up a pop-up box with an 'OK' button (no other text) if I try to search a term.

I've also tried creating a project within Synergy, defining the TM, Termbase, etc. Again, to no avail.

Am I doomed to using Multiterm as a standalone glossary or am I missing something?

Many thanks
Mary

Direct link Reply with quote

Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:41
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Multiterm 2007 Apr 11, 2009

Hi Mary,

I used to run Workbench 8 with Multiterm 7, and I had all kind of error messages.

I was told in this forum that TWB 8 and Multiterm 7 are not compatible and that I should download Multiterm 2007. I did and everything works fine now.

I don´t know whether it will solve your problems, but why don´t you go to SDL website, download Multiterm 2007 and install it.

This may be the solution your are looking for.

Regards,
Marina

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:41
French to Polish
+ ...
The same... Apr 11, 2009

Marina Pastora Soldati wrote:

I used to run Workbench 8 with Multiterm 7, and I had all kind of error messages.

I was told in this forum that TWB 8 and Multiterm 7 are not compatible and that I should download Multiterm 2007. I did and everything works fine now.

I don´t know whether it will solve your problems, but why don´t you go to SDL website, download Multiterm 2007 and install it.

Multiterm 7.5.0.444 is Multiterm 2007.

Cheers
GG

Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:41
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sorry, then Apr 11, 2009

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Cheers
GG

Thanks for the clarification.

Mary: disregard what I wrote.

Nice weekend to both

Marina

French to Polish
+ ...
Upgrading... Multiterm disease... Apr 11, 2009

Mary Worby wrote:

I'm running SDL Trados - Workbench Version 8.0.0.822 - with Multiterm 7.5.0.444.

First of all, try to upgrade to SDL Trados 2007 SP2 and MT 2007 SP1.
Free of charge, just download 'em.

I used to use Multiterm in an older Version of Trados, but since upgrading to the newer version of SDL Trados, it has never worked.

It's quite "normal".

But as I never had much of a termbase, I've not worried about it much and largely rely on the concordance function for terminology.

For me, the terminology is crucial, so why I dropped Trados several years ago for my "core business".
The MT-WB interoperability is extremely unreliable.

Now I've been sent quite an extensive termbase by a customer for a project. I've opened it up within MultiTerm, but cannot establish any connection between it and Workbench and/or Word. Workbench says Multiterm is not open and Word, while it claims to open the termbase, does not display the Multiterm menu correctly (just symbols, no text) and just brings up a pop-up box with an 'OK' button (no other text) if I try to search a term.

For Word, it may be easy.
Close Word.
Replace the Multiterm7.dot file in your profile by the file provided somewhere in the "Program Files\SDL International" directory.
Delete the Multiterm related xml file somewhere in your profile in "Documents and Settings" (or "Users" in Vista).
Sorry, I'm writing from my old Mac, I never remember the location of these files.
Restart Word.

With Workbench, probably you're stuck.

I've also tried creating a project within Synergy, defining the TM, Termbase, etc. Again, to no avail.

Am I doomed to using Multiterm as a standalone glossary or am I missing something?

The Multiterm repair is possible but fastidious.
I don't think you'll be able to do fix it if you're not a guru.
In the worse case, a complete reinstall is needed.

Another time, I put a virtual red-hot iron in the corporate arses of the Multiterm programmers.

PS.
Be sure, you haven't Internet Explorer 8?
You have upgraded your Java recently?

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-04-11 13:13 GMT]

United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 11, 2009

Hi Marina,

Thanks for your help. Although Grzegorz is correct, you did inspire me to check out the patches. I've now patched and updated both Workbench and Multiterm and the problem appears to be resolved. So thanks for setting me in the right direction.

Best regards
Mary

United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 11, 2009

Grzegorz, that's very helpful, thank you. As I just posted above, the patch seems to have done the trick but I'll bear the other bits in mind in case I get more problems.

Out of interest, what difference does IE8 and Java make? I don't tend to use IE at all!

Thanks again for your time.

Mary

French to Polish
+ ...
Multiterm incompatibilities... Apr 11, 2009

Mary Worby wrote:

Grzegorz, that's very helpful, thank you. As I just posted above, the patch seems to have done the trick but I'll bear the other bits in mind in case I get more problems.

That's fine

[quote]Out of interest, what difference does IE8 and Java make?
The Java case was explained here several times.
Starting from 1.6.0.9 or 1.6.0.10 version, the default Java configuration is incompatible with Multiterm.
See the archives or the knowledge base on http://talisma.sdl.com

IE8 is neither compatible with Multiterm.
Multiterm invokes IE in some windows (e.g., the entire main MT application use embedded IE windows).
As IE8 was heavily reworked, MT is unable to use the IE7 routines.

I don't tend to use IE at all!

Neither me.
But Windows Update may install it automatically these days.
And (almost) all the Multiterm users will be automatically f!#%$d.
I don't believe a Multiterm patch will be provided.
So, beware.

BTW.
A Windows policy is provided in order to block automated IE8 installation.
Just google it.

Cheers
GG

French to Polish
+ ...
Version numbering... Apr 11, 2009

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Thanks for the clarification.

Mary: disregard what I wrote.[/quote]

No problem
In fact, I think the different internal and "marketing" numbering is simply stupid when one wants to clarify the things in case of problems...

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm communication error

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TMreserve
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs