Bodil Little  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 00:51
Member (2002)
English to Danish
+ ...
Apr 12, 2009

Hi,

A new problem has appeared in the TM that I am working with right now. OS: Vista, Trados version 8.2.0 (Build 835). Working on TagEditor files.

Every time I get a match, the Danish letters appear as question marks instead of the actual character. Trados displays them correctly, but they appear as question marks in the Tag Editor file.

Example: "høre" appears as "h?e" = there is a question mark instead of the Danish special character + the next letter.

Any suggestions to a solution?

Thank you in advance.
Bodil

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
unicode vs rest of the world Apr 12, 2009

Bodil Little wrote:
Every time I get a match, the Danish letters appear as question marks instead of the actual character.

Hypothesis: The encoding for the output file has been assumed equal to the source file, for instance Western-1. As the 256-character set does not know anything about Danish characters, they are ignored the best way possible.

Solution: I try to solve it in my own questionable cases (8bit Slovenian character set is Western-2) by converting the source (DOC or RTF) to Unicode - which requires dabbling with Word VBA. The problem still are all the wrong segments in TM, sticking stubbornly to Western-1.

It's the translational version of the Pandora box.

Bodil Little  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2002)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Question marks, still a problem Apr 13, 2009

Thank you very much for your reply. I still haven't solved the problem as I am working in TagEditor files. I have tried to export and import the memory, but even though the Danish characters display fine in workbench, I get question marks in my TagEditor file....

Any other suggestions?

Best,
Bodil

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
tell us a little more about the project... Apr 13, 2009

Bodil Little wrote:

Thank you very much for your reply. I still haven't solved the problem as I am working in TagEditor files. I have tried to export and import the memory, but even though the Danish characters display fine in workbench, I get question marks in my TagEditor file....

Any other suggestions?

Best,
Bodil

i) What kind of a file is the source file (or files)? DOC files? Excel?
ii) can you send me the exported TM (txt or TMX)? Maybe I can figure out, what to do. And if you send the file(s) (point i), it would not hurt. Note that I have absolutely no hidden interest as regards DAEN language pair (g).

Regards

Vito

Palíndromo  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2016)
English to Spanish
Different pair, same problem ... Apr 13, 2009

I have the same problem with some en>fr "inx" documents. As French has lots of characters with accents, my texts are full of "?".

You may find interesting to know that there is a hotfix in http://talisma.sdl.com (the article number is 1893).

The hotfix doesn't seem not work in my case, but it may be useful for you. Maybe there is "something" I am not aware about, or maybe I am doing something wrong.

If you discover the answer, please let me know.

Good luck

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
SDL Support Team... Apr 14, 2009

Hello Bodil,

Please try the following to fix this problem:

1. Go to Start > All Programs > SDL International > SDL Trados 2007 > Trados > Filters > Filter Settings
2. Please select your version of Word from the left-hand navigation menu
3. Select "Display formatting and font mapping”
4. Please de-select the options "Show Display formatting" and "Use display font mapping"
5. Please select "Save" and then "Exit"

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

Palíndromo  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2016)
English to Spanish
Problem solved !! Apr 17, 2009

We followed the steps of this article and our problem was solved:

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2088&p=1

Good luck!

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same with me today May 14, 2009

All of a sudden, a perfectly well-working memory was causing this in the middle of a project. Deleting the font information as described by SDL worked!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question marks appear instead of Danish letters

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs