TM updating or modification
Thread poster: Cultures Connection

Cultures Connection
Local time: 18:44
English to French
+ ...
Apr 13, 2009

Hi all,

Probably a very easy subject for some of you, but not for me...How can I modify a term with a new one in a TM. One of my clients ask me to translate a word differently than I used to and now I need to modify the entire TM accordingly.

Thank you in advance for all you help

Direct link Reply with quote
TM updating Apr 13, 2009

right click on the TU (either flag in concordance view) and clic on Edit Translation Unit

clearly, you must repeat the action for every occurrency
there is even an automatic way, but it's very easy to do severe mistakes, so I prefer this WYSIWYG method, even if slower

[Modificato alle 2009-04-13 19:48 GMT]

Maurizio Spagnuolo  Identity Verified
English to Italian
txt Apr 14, 2009

I would export the txt and then search and replace every occurrence.

When you're done, import the txt in a new memory.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
+ ...
Maintenance Apr 14, 2009

That's what the Maintenance feature (File|Maintenance) in Workbench is for. It's documented in the manual and the online help, but for starters, you'll want to search for the source language word surrounded by asterisks.

Be sure to search for inflected forms of the word as well and possibly phrase your search so that it includes only the stem of the word, unless that gives too many false results.

You're looking for "initialize", "initialization" etc., which you translated as "initialiser", "initialisation" etc. before.

The first step is to back up your TM (important!). Close the TM and zip the five TM files up or copy them to a different folder.

Now re-open the TM and open the Maintenance dialog, then click on Filter.
Select the source language as a criterion from the Filter dialog and click "Add".
Then enter *nitializ* in the input field.
Click OK.
Begin the search and wait for it to finish (tip: set the number of results to 99 before clicking on "Begin search".)
Either use the Find and Replace feature to set up terms for replacement (again, refer to the online help for more info), then use the "Change" dropdown on the right-hand side to update several translation units at once or right-click on a translation unit's flag and select "Edit" to do this manually.
Go through the results pages until you're done with your updates.
Reorganize the TM (File|Reorganise).

That's it. Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM updating or modification

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs