https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/132872-ttx_files_with_ini_in_sdlx_is_it_possible.html

TTX files with INI in SDLX - is it possible?
Thread poster: Wit
Wit
Wit  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:07
English to Polish
+ ...
Apr 16, 2009

Couldn't find any thread, or even any passage about it. It seems hard to believe it is not possible as for ttx (xml) files having their ini (dtd) file is only natural! However, opening my ttx files in sdlx results in a file with pre-translated segments (gold) ONLY. I assume that ini file is not used at all no matter what paths to it I set in the ttx header...
I could also find no way to set path to this ini file explicitly: through <
... See more
Couldn't find any thread, or even any passage about it. It seems hard to believe it is not possible as for ttx (xml) files having their ini (dtd) file is only natural! However, opening my ttx files in sdlx results in a file with pre-translated segments (gold) ONLY. I assume that ini file is not used at all no matter what paths to it I set in the ttx header...
I could also find no way to set path to this ini file explicitly: through sdlx menus and settings.
All the hope is lost? Or maybe there is still some as I am missing something obvious?

Other (relevant) info:
  • I am computer savvy
  • sdlx 2007 sp2 (7035)
  • I know SDL Edit better than TE and believe it is much more convenient and versatile

WitoldCollapse

•  
    RWS Community
    RWS Community
    United Kingdom
    English
    Try this... Apr 17, 2009

Hello Witold,

You will need to recreate the ttx file with the option to segment unknown sentences and then open the file in SDLX.

Please follow these instructions:

1. Open your TM in Translators Workbench
    2. Go to Tools > Translate
    3. Add the original XMl file
    4. Select the option "Segment Unknown Sentences"
    5. Translate the document to create a new ttx file

You will also need to export your TM to SDLX:

... See more
    Hello Witold,

You will need to recreate the ttx file with the option to segment unknown sentences and then open the file in SDLX.

Please follow these instructions:

1. Open your TM in Translators Workbench
    2. Go to Tools > Translate
    3. Add the original XMl file
    4. Select the option "Segment Unknown Sentences"
    5. Translate the document to create a new ttx file

You will also need to export your TM to SDLX:

1. Open Translators Workbench
    2. Go to File > Export
    3. Ignore the Filter Constraints List and press OK
    4. Under "Save as type" please choose "TMX 1.4b"
    5. Select "Save"
    6. Open SDLX Maintain
    7. Create a new TM
    8. Go to File > Import > TMX Format Files
    9. Import the TMX file into your new SDLX TM

Please open the new ttx file directly in SDLX Edit, along with your newly created TM, and then apply the TM with your usual minimum match value.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
    SDL Support Team
    Collapse

Wit
    Wit  Identity Verified
    English to Polish
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    the original Apr 17, 2009

Thank you very much Gareth!
    Unfortunately, I don't have the original xml file. I am not even sure my client has it. However, I could relay your recipy to my client in case they have, so that they could provide me with a new ttx file.

I mean that if only I had the original xml file I could translate it directly with sdl edit. And wouldn't need ttx file as intermediary.

As to the TM - I know, that's simple.

BTW, does it make any difference what
    ... See more
    Thank you very much Gareth!
    Unfortunately, I don't have the original xml file. I am not even sure my client has it. However, I could relay your recipy to my client in case they have, so that they could provide me with a new ttx file.

I mean that if only I had the original xml file I could translate it directly with sdl edit. And wouldn't need ttx file as intermediary.

As to the TM - I know, that's simple.

BTW, does it make any difference what export format is chosen in WB? I mean, apart from charsets. Newer txt exports are utf8, and no other information should be lost. And segmentation is done by the same program, anyway. Or I am wrong, and TMX is essential?

[Zmieniono 2009-04-17 09:56 GMT]
    Collapse

RWS Community
    RWS Community
    United Kingdom
    English
    SDL Trados Support... Apr 17, 2009

Hello Witold,

You can use the "Translators Workbench 7.x/8.x (*.txt)" export format if you wish, they are both compatible.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
    SDL Support Team

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TTX files with INI in SDLX - is it possible?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
    Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
    Wordfast Pro
    Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »