Mobile menu

MultiTerm iX - import feature not working
Thread poster: Kroz Wado
Kroz Wado
Japan
Local time: 19:08
Japanese to English
Apr 17, 2009

I've been trying all week to figure out how to import a term dictionary from excel into MultiTerm. I'm using Windows XP (Japanese version), TRADOS LSP 6.5 and MultiTerm 6.2.0.287.

I've followed the instructions exactly, in the manual and all over the web, and generated xml files, but when I try to use the import function in MultiTerm, it simply gives me "0 entries processed", no matter how I go about it. I've paid very very careful attention to .xdt files, descriptive fields, index fields etc.

I originally thought that maybe it was a problem with the formatting of the excel file so I've played around, simplified it to two columns, converted it to a whole number of other file types before using MultiTerm Convert, and no luck.

I thought and still think that maybe it's an issue with the Japanese operating system or JIS/unicode/EUC stuff, but repeating the operation with English/French doesn't help.

Reinstallation didn't change anything and lastly, I've tried exporting from MultiTerm and then re-importing, but it seems that MultiTerm can't even import the files that MultiTerm itself creates.

I realise I'm working with old software so maybe there's just some system incompatibility that I simply won't be able to get over, but there must be something I can do to get this working.

Is it possible that the license hasn't properly activated and import is disabled in demo mode? I'm not seeing any demo mode messages so I think that's not likely...

I think my next move will be to try installing on another computer but Vista is all I've got which seems to me isn't going to help at all.

Any ideas or past experience?

Direct link Reply with quote

Kroz Wado
Japan
Local time: 19:08
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Solved it! Apr 21, 2009

All solved!

The problem ~was~ with the Japanese characters, the import function wouldn't work with files in folders with Japanese characters in their names.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm iX - import feature not working

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Quiick
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs