https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/136685-cannot_analyse_power_point_files_in_trados_nor_open_them_with_tageditor.html?

Cannot analyse Power Point files in Trados, nor open them with TagEditor
Thread poster: Marica Abiuso
Marica Abiuso
Marica Abiuso  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:22
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 4, 2009

Hi everybody,

I have a bulk of Power Point files to analyse (and work through) with Trados, but every time I launch the analysis or attempt to open a .ppt with TagEditor, Translator's Workbench crashes dramatically (just saying that an error was encountered). I did little troubleshooting and copied the slides content in a new file, with poor result as well. I even installed the new Trados patch for Power Point (the new .dll), but it doesn't seem to work either.

Does any
... See more
Hi everybody,

I have a bulk of Power Point files to analyse (and work through) with Trados, but every time I launch the analysis or attempt to open a .ppt with TagEditor, Translator's Workbench crashes dramatically (just saying that an error was encountered). I did little troubleshooting and copied the slides content in a new file, with poor result as well. I even installed the new Trados patch for Power Point (the new .dll), but it doesn't seem to work either.

Does anyone have a clue of why I cannot open or analyse my PPT files? May it be due to how the PPT slides were assembled (maybe text boxes are grouped and Trados cannot work through them)??

I have a full licenced SDL Trados 2007 Suite, Office 2007 and Windows Vista installed.

I'd appreciate a response, since material to be worked is bulky and project consistency would be poor without Trados TM.

Thank you.
Collapse

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Try saving the PPT files as PPTX in PowerPoint Jun 4, 2009

or vice versa. That has helped me a few times. If it doesn't, I suggest using the free tool Werecat (you can Google for it easily), and translating in Word.

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Any error codes? Jun 4, 2009

Hi Mari73,
Can you tell us what specific error code / error message you get?
Attila

Marica Abiuso
Marica Abiuso  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Error Codes Jun 5, 2009

Hi Attila,

As suggested, I tried to save the files as .pptx unsuccessfully. I got an error message saying "impossible to save files as XML of Power Point 2007 because the presentation contains binary tags and hypertext links on diagrams".

As for your question, upon attempting to launch the analysis, the program simply crashes saying "Translator's Workbench stopped working and is going to close. ... Close or find a solution online... " bla bla bla, then closes, and that'
... See more
Hi Attila,

As suggested, I tried to save the files as .pptx unsuccessfully. I got an error message saying "impossible to save files as XML of Power Point 2007 because the presentation contains binary tags and hypertext links on diagrams".

As for your question, upon attempting to launch the analysis, the program simply crashes saying "Translator's Workbench stopped working and is going to close. ... Close or find a solution online... " bla bla bla, then closes, and that's it. The only thing I could do was to see error details, which you may read further below.

If you wish and have time, I may send you one file privately for you to examine, though I have the feeling that such matter cannot be sorted out...

Thank you anyway for your help!
Marica

Firma problema:
Nome evento problema: APPCRASH
Nome applicazione: TW4Win.exe
Versione applicazione: 8.3.0.863
Timestamp applicazione: 4877bd08
Nome modulo con errori: MSVCP80.dll
Versione modulo con errori: 8.0.50727.1801
Timestamp modulo con errori: 4754c236
Codice eccezione: c0000005
Offset eccezione: 0000dfb9
Versione SO: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.6
ID impostazioni locali: 1040
Informazioni aggiuntive 1: 1807
Ulteriori informazioni 2: 9101a4c78d260dc828969498c542d463
Ulteriori informazioni 3: 487b
Ulteriori informazioni 4: f48d9ec944d691de52da6cccf5753c54
Collapse

ooooo
ooooo
Local time: 03:22
English to Chinese
i have this problem too Nov 24, 2009

can't solve it

问题签名:
问题事件名称: APPCRASH
应用程序名: TW4Win.exe
应用程序版本: 8.2.0.835
应用程序时间戳: 478298d7
故障模块名称: TradosTMBatch.dll
故障模块版本: 8.2.0.835
故障模块时间戳: 478282ce
异常代码: c0000005
异常偏移量: 00006eb2
OS 版本: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
区域设置 ID: 2052
其他信息 1: 3329
其他信�
... See more
can't solve it

问题签名:
问题事件名称: APPCRASH
应用程序名: TW4Win.exe
应用程序版本: 8.2.0.835
应用程序时间戳: 478298d7
故障模块名称: TradosTMBatch.dll
故障模块版本: 8.2.0.835
故障模块时间戳: 478282ce
异常代码: c0000005
异常偏移量: 00006eb2
OS 版本: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
区域设置 ID: 2052
其他信息 1: 3329
其他信息 2: e06388f665a77d393bd75542c1a7ec10
其他信息 3: aa01
其他信息 4: 9454fe2e1d9f8cd4b764d0df0b993d12

Marica Abiuso wrote:

Hi Attila,

As for your question, upon attempting to launch the analysis, the program simply crashes saying "Translator's Workbench stopped working and is going to close. ... Close or find a solution online... " bla bla bla, then closes, and that's it. The only thing I could do was to see error details, which you may read further below.

If you wish and have time, I may send you one file privately for you to examine, though I have the feeling that such matter cannot be sorted out...

Thank you anyway for your help!
Marica

Firma problema:
Nome evento problema: APPCRASH
Nome applicazione: TW4Win.exe
Versione applicazione: 8.3.0.863
Timestamp applicazione: 4877bd08
Nome modulo con errori: MSVCP80.dll
Versione modulo con errori: 8.0.50727.1801
Timestamp modulo con errori: 4754c236
Codice eccezione: c0000005
Offset eccezione: 0000dfb9
Versione SO: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.6
ID impostazioni locali: 1040
Informazioni aggiuntive 1: 1807
Ulteriori informazioni 2: 9101a4c78d260dc828969498c542d463
Ulteriori informazioni 3: 487b
Ulteriori informazioni 4: f48d9ec944d691de52da6cccf5753c54
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:22
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Cleanup shows you how much is done Nov 27, 2009

If it is only a question of how to know how much is translated and how much is left, simple cleanup will show you that result.
Regards
Heinrich

Fleur Brooke
Fleur Brooke  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Still an open issue - Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet? May 5, 2010

I am on an extremely tight deadline with a new project and can neither create a new project in SDL 2007 Freelance edition nor open the presentation with TagEditor with the result that I cannot use my translation memory which is critical to me for this project.

There must be a work around, but cannot find one in the SDL KB. Have downloaded all available hotfixes for Powerpoint and Office 2007 but nothing works! Someone must have found a work around to this?

Desperate! T
... See more
I am on an extremely tight deadline with a new project and can neither create a new project in SDL 2007 Freelance edition nor open the presentation with TagEditor with the result that I cannot use my translation memory which is critical to me for this project.

There must be a work around, but cannot find one in the SDL KB. Have downloaded all available hotfixes for Powerpoint and Office 2007 but nothing works! Someone must have found a work around to this?

Desperate! Thank you.
Collapse

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Similar problem but maybe not the same... May 5, 2010

I have found that Trados 2007 with Vista sometimes does not seem to like Office 2007 documents (at least on my computer). I have solved this a few tiomes by saving the 2007 file as an Office 2003 document and then it has opened in TagEditor no problem.

Fleur Brooke
Fleur Brooke  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Tried saved the file as 2003 but TagEditor simply closes May 5, 2010

Thanks Mark. So far I have saved original doc 3x in 97-2003 format, in 2003 alone and then all of the above again. I have done a Repair on the SDL exe, I have updated filters as per SDL support. I am at a loss. 100 slides to translate by tomorrow and looks like I will have to do this all manually. No more support contract with SDL so pretty miserable today!

Anyone from SDL around today to help a damsel in distress? Please?

Thanks in advance for any help at all.

Sabina Moscatelli
Sabina Moscatelli
Italy
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
Any help on this topic? Jun 13, 2010

I am experiencing this same dramatic problem. 100 slides to translate and no way to open the job with either SDLX or Trados.

sabina

Hugh Matthews
Hugh Matthews  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Any solution to this problem? Nov 16, 2011

It is rather important to be able to analyse files for size, but this appears to be the only place that this Trados failure is mentioned.
I am using Windows 7, which has given me no problems, unlike with Vista. Analysis worked fine for over a year, then suddenly started crashing. Re-installtion of the netire 2007 freelance package has not helped.

Ideas please?

HM

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot analyse Power Point files in Trados, nor open them with TagEditor

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »