Thread poster: RWS Community
RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:12
English
Jun 9, 2009

Dear all,

During the last few days we have been carefully monitoring your comments and feedback, and we would like to apologise for the issues we have caused you surrounding our licensing and processes. To try and rectify this effectively we have implemented some immediate changes:

1) ON LICENSING
As you know, as part of the upgrade process, we asked you to return your old license first. After the licenses were returned you should have received your SDL Tr
... See more
Dear all,

During the last few days we have been carefully monitoring your comments and feedback, and we would like to apologise for the issues we have caused you surrounding our licensing and processes. To try and rectify this effectively we have implemented some immediate changes:

1) ON LICENSING
As you know, as part of the upgrade process, we asked you to return your old license first. After the licenses were returned you should have received your SDL Trados Studio 2009 license and a time-limited license of SDL Trados 2007 Suite. This policy has now been changed. Once you have returned your licenses we will now add to your account a permanent and unlimited license of SDL Trados 2007 Suite as well as a permanent license of SDL Trados Studio 2009.

a. Anyone making a new purchase, and anyone who has not yet activated or returned their license, will find a permanent SDL Trados 2007 Suite license available to them as soon as they complete the upgrade process.

b. People who have already activated their new Studio license will also be able to replace the temporary license of SDL Trados 2007 Suite, with a permanent one.

It is already possible to deactivate / reactivate licenses and on reactivation they will become permanent. More detailed instructions will follow from our support team in due course.

We originally implemented the changes to streamline our account and licensing system, to protect our Intellectual property, prevent license theft and ensure we can continue to more easily improve our licensing and activation system. This is a normal practice followed by most software companies which upon upgrade purchases will not allow two simultaneous licenses and versions to run in parallel. However our execution and communication was less than brilliant. We hope that with this change, you will now be able to move forward and enjoy the new features in SDL Trados Studio 2009.

2) ON THE PROCESS
We realize that the process of returning licenses appeared cumbersome and complicated. Our systems and communication were not clear and there has been confusion created by our new process.

We have already introduced improvements to our online account system that should make the process clearer. We will continue to improve the process and over the next few days you will see more improvements coming up. We are also introducing better ways of getting immediate support for licensing and activation, this will become evident in due course and details will be provided to this forum.

3) ON ANY OTHER QUESTIONS
There have been many posts in the last few days, mostly around licensing. There have also been some on other subjects that are probably lost in the numerous threads that have developed. Whilst we have been enhancing all the normal places to look, Support Centre, talisma.sdl.com, faq's on translationzone.com, we will also pay particular attention to this forum and try to help out a little more than normal.

For all the inconvenience we can only apologise, and hope that with the changes introduced you will be able to get up and running on the new software much more easily, and start to enjoy the new SDL Trados Studio 2009.

To summarise, everyone who upgrades or buys a new license of SDL Trados Studio 2009 will have in their account permanent SDL Trados 2007 Suite licenses and we will continue to improve the process to upgrade to the latest version.

We do apologise for all the inconvenience and we thank you very much for your feedback. We are continously trying to improve the ways in which we can gather your feedback and this forum has been particularly helpful in this regard. The feedback, big or small, good or bad, is all read and we do take it into account in the way we work and in what we offer you.

Humbly,
Paul Filkin
on behalf of
SDL Trados Technologies
Collapse

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
great! Jun 9, 2009

Once you have returned your licenses we will now add to your account a permanent and unlimited license of SDL Trados 2007 Suite as well as a permanent license of SDL Trados Studio 2009.

Bravo, bravo, bravo!

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Many thanks, Paul! Jun 9, 2009

SDL Support wrote:

To summarise, everyone who upgrades or buys a new license of SDL Trados Studio 2009 will have in their account permanent SDL Trados 2007 Suite licenses.

Just a quick question: Does it hold true for SDL Trados 7 Freelance?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
Does it hold true for SDL Trados 7 Freelance? Jun 9, 2009

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:

Just a quick question: Does it hold true for SDL Trados 7 Freelance?

Yes. This applies to both Freelance and Professional.

Regards

Paul

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:12
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Chapeau, I am impressed Jun 9, 2009

Dear Paul Filkin,

permanent/non-permanent license issue aside (definitely not on top of my priorities or concerns) thank you very much for this message.

Recognizing mistakes openly is something I have always profoundly respected and valued.

Brilliant "start over". Once all technical soft spots are ironed, I'll call it excellent.

Regards

Giuliana

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 07:12
Spanish
+ ...
... Jun 9, 2009

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:

Recognizing mistakes openly is something I have always profoundly respected and valued.

I agree too. Thank you for correcting the mistakes.

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:12
German to English
+ ...
This is a good start Jun 9, 2009

Keep it up.

Arthur Godinho
Arthur Godinho  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:12
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
How Long? Jun 9, 2009

How long does/will it take for the 2009 license to be posted to my SDL acct.?

I have released the 'new' 2007 license I had received and activated, and it did get upgraded to a 'no expiration' license, but the 2009 license still has not shown up on the My Licenses page....

Should I wait 12/24 hrs? etc...

Thanks!
Art

[Edited at 2009-06-09 21:13 GMT]

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
What use is the 2007 software for translating without the use of Multiterm? Jun 9, 2009

I do not see the sense in having a permanent licence for the 2007 Suite, if it can no longer be used for translating, due to having had to uninstall Multiterm 2007 in order to install Studio 2009.

Alexander Hartmann
Alexander Hartmann
English to German
Use Multiterm 2009 instead Jun 9, 2009

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

I do not see the sense in having a permanent licence for the 2007 Suite, if it can no longer be used for translating, due to having had to uninstall Multiterm 2007 in order to install Studio 2009.

Hello Astrid,
you should be able to use Multiterm 2009 together with Trados 2007.
It seems to be compatible.

Alexander

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Well done. Jun 9, 2009

Thanks, Paul - this is really encouraging.
Things can go wrong - but to admit this, and offering remedies, is a very good sign.

Kind regards,
Ralf

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Anyone else complaining about SDL? Jun 9, 2009

Certainly not me. Not anymore anyway.
Tell me Microsoft would react so promptly!

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 07:12
Spanish
+ ...
Multiterm 2009 doesn't work with MS-Word Jun 10, 2009

Alexander Hartmann wrote:

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

Hello Astrid,
you should be able to use Multiterm 2009 together with Trados 2007.
It seems to be compatible.

Alexander

I don't think Multiterm 2009 works with Word. I really hope this also gets fixed.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:12
English to French
+ ...
Can we also keep older licences? Jun 10, 2009

All this is really jolly news, but I am still a bit worried here. I found this on SDL's (updated) website:
2) When upgrading to SDL Trados Studio 2009 you will also receive a permanent license of SDL Trados 2007 Suite. Both products can be installed in parallel. Please be aware you will however need to de-activate your previous software license before receiving your new licenses. If you would like to retain your previous license (for example SDL Trados 2006 or Trados 7), please consider purchasing a full new license.

If I understand correctly, the only licence that will ever be permanent is that of SDL Trados 2007 Suite - all the other ones will be wiped off the face of the Earth, right? I will lose my 2007 Freelance licence if I upgrade, right?

Then, what are we all so happy about? I, for one, will not upgrade under these conditions. I will certainly not shell out a thousand bucks just so I can see that hypothetical quantum leap in action and then realize I would have been better off keeping 2007. I don't have time to learn to use Trados for the umpteenth time and my clients don't either. And I certainly don't have a thousand bucks to spend on software each year - that's more money than my Internet connection!

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:12
German to English
Thank you - there is someone listening out there Jun 10, 2009

All we need to do now is sort out the licensing issues, the crashing issues....

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2009 - Licensing and Process

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »