Thread poster: Anett Lindner
Anett Lindner
Anett Lindner
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
Jun 18, 2009

Hi,

I know this question has already been posted several times and I have tried all the suggestions provided so far.

I use Office XP and Trados 2007 Suite (and so far never encountered any problem).
Yesterday I had to deal with a complexly formatted Word file. When trying to edit one of the many footnotes with Trados, Word crashed. Afterwards the toolbar (by this I mean the buttons for opening, closing segments etc. ) have disappeared. As an option in the menu Tra
... See more
Hi,

I know this question has already been posted several times and I have tried all the suggestions provided so far.

I use Office XP and Trados 2007 Suite (and so far never encountered any problem).
Yesterday I had to deal with a complexly formatted Word file. When trying to edit one of the many footnotes with Trados, Word crashed. Afterwards the toolbar (by this I mean the buttons for opening, closing segments etc. ) have disappeared. As an option in the menu Trados is still available. But when I try to add the buttons in Word, the entry for TW4Win has disappeard from the dropdown list for adding toolbars.

So far I have:

- checked under addins that Trados8.dot is available and it is
- copied the Trados8.dot from the SDL folder to the Startup folder for Word
- uninstalled Word and Trados, done a restart and cleaned the registry thoroughly, restarted again and installed all programmes again

To no avail. Is there anything that I can still do to rectify this problem?

Regards,

Anett
Collapse

Doroteja
Doroteja  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 10:33
English to Latvian
+ ...
Trados Toolbar Jun 18, 2009

Maybe you can try the following: Tools-Templates and Add-INS and check Trados8.dot
Good luck!

Anett Lindner
Anett Lindner
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Trados8.dot Jun 18, 2009

Hi Doroteja,

thanks but I have already verified that and Trados8.dot is checked unter Templates and Addins.

Regards,

Anett

Jim Shanks
Jim Shanks
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:33
Dutch to English
Have you tried this? Jun 18, 2009

I find that registering TRADOS again sometimes resolves problems. Click Register SDL TRADOS 2007 in your Trados folder in the start menu.

Probably won't work, but certainly worth a try.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:33
English
Try this... Jun 18, 2009

Hello Anett,

We have an article within the SDL knowledge base which should fix this issue. Please read the following article and follow the instructions provided:

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=1550&p=1

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

Jorge Aguilar Juarez
Jorge Aguilar Juarez  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 17:33
German to Spanish
busy busy Jun 18, 2009

"After translating footnotes in Word all toolbars disappear from Microsoft Word

Symptoms
You have just finished translating the footnotes from a Word 2000, Word 2002 (also known as Word XP) or Word 2003 document in the footnote document window. When you return to the main document window, all Word toolbars and the menu bar disappear. Keyboard shortcuts for menus and menu commands don't work either. Restarting Word does not restore the toolbars.
Explanation
In Word
... See more
"After translating footnotes in Word all toolbars disappear from Microsoft Word

Symptoms
You have just finished translating the footnotes from a Word 2000, Word 2002 (also known as Word XP) or Word 2003 document in the footnote document window. When you return to the main document window, all Word toolbars and the menu bar disappear. Keyboard shortcuts for menus and menu commands don't work either. Restarting Word does not restore the toolbars.
Explanation
In Word 97, 2000, 2002 (XP) and 2003, Translator's Workbench opens a new document window for the translation of footnotes. Word automatically starts a new program instance for any new document windows, and transfers all toolbars and the menu bar into the currently active instance. When you close the footnote document window by clicking Set/Close Next Open/Get, or by pressing [Alt]+[0], this second instance is closed and the toolbars are transferred back to the main document window.

However, if you close the footnote document window by clicking the close (x) button on the Word title bar, the toolbars will not be transferred back to the main document window. Workbench prevents you from closing the footnote window in this incorrect fashion. An error message will be displayed in the status bar, and you cannot close the window. However, if you disable tw4win2k.dot/trados6.dot/trados7.dot/trados8.dot in the footnote window, Word will allow you to close the window. In the main document window, the toolbars will no longer be visible.

Likewise, if you press [Alt]+[0] while the target segment is still empty, Workbench will display the error message You have to close footnote segment before continuing with main segment. After this error message, you can close the footnote document using the Close button. Again, in the main document window, the toolbars will no longer be visible. If you have opened a footnote by mistake and do not want to translate it, make sure to use Restore Source first, and then press [Alt]+[0] to return to the main document window.

Resolution
Since the incorrect Word view settings have been written to the registry, you have to edit a particular registry entry as follows to correct the problem:

Close Word 2000, 2002 (XP) or 2003.
From the Start menu, select Run.
Type regedit into the Run box, and click OK.
Open the following key:
Word 2000: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Word\Data.
Word 2002 (Word XP): HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Word\Data.
Word 2003: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Data.
Highlight the Data key, and press [Del].
Confirm that you want to delete the key.
Close the registry.
Launch Word again. The toolbars and menu bar are reset to their default options.
Note
In Word 2002 (Word XP) and Word 2003, you can prevent this problem from happening by forcing Word to display all documents (including the footnote document) in the same application window.

Follow these steps:

From the Tools menu in Word, choose Options. The Options dialog box opens.
On the View tab, deselect the Windows in Taskbar check box. Word will now show all document windows inside one Word application window, thereby preventing the problems described in this article."

from talisma.sdl.com
Collapse

Anett Lindner
Anett Lindner
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Removed entry to the registry Jun 19, 2009

Hi again,

I deleted the entry to the registry you specified and the toolbar in Word was reset (and is displayed now in different order) However, still there are no Trados buttons. And this is really draining for me, as I mostly work with a notebook and cannot use the shortcuts therefore.

So is there another solution to the problem?

When reading the postings I learned that several of the respondents also still had to deal with this problem after reinstallati
... See more
Hi again,

I deleted the entry to the registry you specified and the toolbar in Word was reset (and is displayed now in different order) However, still there are no Trados buttons. And this is really draining for me, as I mostly work with a notebook and cannot use the shortcuts therefore.

So is there another solution to the problem?

When reading the postings I learned that several of the respondents also still had to deal with this problem after reinstallation. So my question is: Is there anybody who finally, even after unsuccessful reinstallation, found a solution to the toolbar problem?

Regards,

Anett
Collapse

Mark Haasen
Mark Haasen
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Running macro Jun 24, 2009

Hi Anett,

When you right-click an empty spot on the toolbar area, you see a list of toolbars. This list should contain the "TW4Win" item. If it is not checked, this might explain your problem. Check it and see what happens.

Otherwise, I know for a fact (from experience) that, when the Trados menu has disappeared, you can reset it by running the Add macro through Tools > Macro > Macros in Word. Maybe the macro works for the toolbar too. I cannot verify it,
... See more
Hi Anett,

When you right-click an empty spot on the toolbar area, you see a list of toolbars. This list should contain the "TW4Win" item. If it is not checked, this might explain your problem. Check it and see what happens.

Otherwise, I know for a fact (from experience) that, when the Trados menu has disappeared, you can reset it by running the Add macro through Tools > Macro > Macros in Word. Maybe the macro works for the toolbar too. I cannot verify it, since the programming code is locked.

I've never encountered the toolbar issue you mentioned.

Kind regards,
Mark Haasen
Collapse

Emma Hradecka (X)
Emma Hradecka (X)  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Editing registry helped Oct 31, 2009

Hello,
I had the same problem as Anett and just wanted to say that editing the registry helped, to hearten those who are still looking for a solution.
Thanks,
Emma

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Toolbar missing in Word

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »