T F F
T F F  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:21
English to Italian
Just to be clear... Aug 18, 2009

Lucky you...
Stanislav Pokorny wrote:
None of my clients requires bilingual DOCs/RTFs anyway.

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:
I can choose whichever workflow I prefer for the translation, or even whichever tool I want

I'm happy to know that you don't have the same problem as Letra, Irene, Huub, me and thousands translators, teams and LSPs are having or are going to have...

We do need to share unclean/bilingual files...
...and SLDXLIFF is not an "Industry Standard" at all nor it will become until Studio performs like that ...
The freelancers are not using Studio because of the "list of experienced issues" ...
The LSPs and Teams cannot use Studio because the Project Management is not backward compatible at all...

Bilingual workflow in Studio today
Thanks for your tip Stanislav: I knew Studio allows for bilingual workflows but you perfectly know that if the receiver is not Studio equipped there is no bilingual workflow at all. Again, probably there will be a bilingual workflow tomorrow, but don't underestimate the fact that the LSP databases are made of Tag Editor users, today!

Sold as a TRADOS product today, Studio does not perform as TRADOS today
And it's today when we have spent a TRADOS fee for a "TRADOS" product or - at least - a "TRADOS compatible" product...But this is not what we have paid for:
if we cannot create a Package in Studio and assign it to one of the "over 170.000 TRADOS users in the world", this is not a TRADOS product...simple as that!
Everything preproduced in STUDIO becomes a SDLXLIFF and its way ends there!

How difficult would it be to have Studio perform as a TRADOS product today?
Considering that "Just like SDL Trados 2006 and SDL Trados 2007, the same company has developed SDL Trados Studio 2009!"...
...SDL could give Tag Editor a filter for SDLXLIFF...
...SDL could give Studio the ability to create TTX...
...But SDL "builds" a barrier between Studio and Tag Editor, and so once switched to Studio we have to push colleagues and professionals to do the same, otherwise our "investment" lies unemployed.

Once again, why?
Considering that SDL cannot guarantee that STUDIO is SOLD OUT in one day, the same way as they haven't guaranteed the "delivery of innovation" in a stable way, may I ask once again why they have thought to leave people who bought TRADOS Studio without the "TRADOS compatibility"?

...Just to be clear!
I’m a proud Trados user since 3.0
I don’t work for the competition
I would love to continue to use Trados until I die
I’m not “blinded with finding ways of sticking to obsolete processes and workflows”: on the contrary, I’m tired to play with dummy Project Packages, and I would like to share real projects through Studio.

LindsayW
LindsayW
German to English
Pretranslation of Word files saved as .ttx? Aug 25, 2009

Trados Studio 2009 has given me nothing but grief so far ...
If any freelancers are thinking of upgrading, I would think very carefully - I have wasted many precious hours trying to install it and get it to work. I have a support contract with SDL, but their support portal has been down for the last 3 days out of 4 and I have been unable to get any assistance from them!

My direct clients prefer to supply "pretranslated" Word files using the "translate" function in Workbench. O
... See more
Trados Studio 2009 has given me nothing but grief so far ...
If any freelancers are thinking of upgrading, I would think very carefully - I have wasted many precious hours trying to install it and get it to work. I have a support contract with SDL, but their support portal has been down for the last 3 days out of 4 and I have been unable to get any assistance from them!

My direct clients prefer to supply "pretranslated" Word files using the "translate" function in Workbench. Obviously this format is not supported by Trados Studio 2009.
They are willing to supply bilingual .ttx files instead, but is there a similar function for pretranslating files in TagEditor? Neither of us know how to do this. Any help would be very gratefully appreciated. Work is backing up so I have been forced to go back to using Trados Suite 2007 - which, incidentally, doesn't seem to work with Multiterm 2009 .... another major problem.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You can pretranslate any supported format in Workbench Aug 25, 2009

To use TTX for Word, go to Workbench - Options - Translation Memory Options - Tools and check the "TRADOStag XML workflow for Word .doc files".
From now on Workbench will pretranslate your files and produce ttx instead of billingual doc files.
You can then process them in Studio without any problems.

Anne LJ
Anne LJ
Spanish to French
+ ...
In Studio, "save as" gives only sdlxliff possibility and not ttx Sep 2, 2009

Well, my client wants uncleaned files. I have done what you suggest.
File opened in Tag Editor. I open the ttx file in Studio but Studio converts it in sdlxliff and doesn't give the option to saves as ttx.

May be, I have not completely understood the process you described...

Thank you in advance for your help.

Anne

Anne LJ
Anne LJ
Spanish to French
+ ...
it was save target as.... Sep 2, 2009

Sorry, we must read all in details.... it was not "save as" but "save target as"

I have naturally found the solution.

Thanks anyway

Anne

Sabina Moscatelli
Sabina Moscatelli
Italy
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
No, I haven't found the solution Sep 17, 2009

I've translated my doc file and want to deliver it UNCLEAN to my client.

If I go to SAVE TARGET AS, the only option I get is either *.doc or *.dot.

I urgently need to create a bilingual file(

[I am wasting so much time with this Studio 2009. I wish I hadn't bought it].

Thanks in advance.

sabina

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Proposing an analogy Sep 17, 2009

Folks, indeed one of the most amazing things I see with Studio 2009 is that it does not support a format (TTX) that has needed years to become widespread in the industry. Now that everyone got used to exchanging TTX files all over the place, SDL come out to propose a "new version" of the software that completely scraps TTX.

Let's suppose Microsoft came out and said that a new release of Microsoft Word does open, but cannot save the usual DOC or DOCX formats. It can only save a new f
... See more
Folks, indeed one of the most amazing things I see with Studio 2009 is that it does not support a format (TTX) that has needed years to become widespread in the industry. Now that everyone got used to exchanging TTX files all over the place, SDL come out to propose a "new version" of the software that completely scraps TTX.

Let's suppose Microsoft came out and said that a new release of Microsoft Word does open, but cannot save the usual DOC or DOCX formats. It can only save a new format called DOCXFF (DOC exchange file format). And forces us to keep two versions of Office in our machine for several years until the new file format becomes widespread. Wouldn't the whole world of Office users raise a huge campaign about this? Wouldn't Microsoft immediately feel compelled to correct their attitude about it, by simply adding the possibility to save DOC and DOCX from the new version of the software?

To me the most puzzling fact I am seeing about Studio 2009 is that many translators are ready to accept things they would never accept from other software manufacturers!

[Edited at 2009-09-17 06:06 GMT]
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Studio 2009 and ttx files Sep 17, 2009

Having worked with Studio 2009 for a couple of months now, I'm generally happy with it,
BUT I would really like to be able to save as ttx without having to go through the
1. open Tag Editor,
2. convert to ttx,
3. open Studio
steps. Opening another application is a waste of time.

SDL: PLEASE add this functin to Studio.
Translators: you can vote
... See more
Having worked with Studio 2009 for a couple of months now, I'm generally happy with it,
BUT I would really like to be able to save as ttx without having to go through the
1. open Tag Editor,
2. convert to ttx,
3. open Studio
steps. Opening another application is a waste of time.

SDL: PLEASE add this functin to Studio.
Translators: you can vote for this idea posted by Joel Ernest at http://ideas.sdltrados.com/ideas/detail.asp?i=2243
Collapse

Alexa Dubreuil
Alexa Dubreuil  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:21
English to French
+ ...
Shared TM between 2007 Suite and 2009 Studio? How about exporting TM as .txt in 2009 studio? Sep 24, 2009

Hello everybody

I am currently using Trados 6.5 and I am considering buying SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance, so this thread is very interesting.

For anyone still wondering about whether to purchase Studio 2009, I found thes
... See more
Hello everybody

I am currently using Trados 6.5 and I am considering buying SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance, so this thread is very interesting.

For anyone still wondering about whether to purchase Studio 2009, I found these threads useful as well:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/145207-a_bugs_life_trouble_with_trados_2009.html
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/143590-various_beginners_problems_with_studio_2009.html

I understand that SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance comes with SDL Trados 2007 Suite.

Sometimes my clients ask me to either send my TM after translating a document for them (which I supply as a .txt export from Workbench 6.5) or send the translation using the unclean format. These requests are rare but I need to be able to accommodate them, even if some clients only remember to ask after the translation is performed!

I understand that supplying such unclean files is no longer possible with Studio 2009 and that I would have to use the 2007 Suite.

If I buy Studio 2009, it is to use it. However, I don't mind reverting - occasionally - to the 2007 suite for the rare clients who need unclean files or a .txt export of my TM.

Based on all this, I have to questions for you, new users of 2009 Studio:

1) When working in 2009 Studio, is it possible to simply export a TM (for 1 document) as a .txt file? This would be useful for clients who forget to ask for unclean files from the start of the project (this way I would still be able to supply the TM despite having worked in 2009).

2) Does anyone know if Studio 2009 and the 2007 suite share the translation memories? The last thing I want (after upgrading all my Trados 6.5 TM to 2009 Studio) is to have to recreate 'mirror' versions of those 2009 TMs in the 2007 suite and to have to constantly synchronise those 2 versions (I wouldn't even know how to do this!).

Thanks a lot for your input.
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Replies Sep 24, 2009

Hi Alexa,
to your questions:
1) Studio does not support the TXT export anymore. However, you can always use the TMX export, a more universal format and the industry standard.
2) Not possible. Once you upgrade your old Trados TM to a Studio TM, the only way of keeping your Trados TM up-to-date is exporting your Studio TM into TMX and importing the TMX into your old Trados TM.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 15:21
Spanish
+ ...
How hard can it be to create a Word bilingual file? Sep 24, 2009

I read that SDL announced their plans on a future SDKs for third-parties--I hope they make it available for users too. So I imagine, an "unclean format" plug-in will be one of the first results. But given the simplicity of such conversion, I wonder why SDL didn't think of including this feature. This is such a no brainer.

Letra
Letra  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I've already said that and... Sep 25, 2009

... I can repeat it again. Anybody who knew SLDX before can clearly see that after purchasing Trados, the company does everything to remove it from the market and impose its own idea. If one could show Studio to any SDLX translator 5 years ago, he/she would instantly noticed their resemblance. They just call it Trados... SLDX and Trados were pretty stable applications but it seems the merger of them is not.

Anyway, I decided to treat it as an ordinary tool. I use it only for larger
... See more
... I can repeat it again. Anybody who knew SLDX before can clearly see that after purchasing Trados, the company does everything to remove it from the market and impose its own idea. If one could show Studio to any SDLX translator 5 years ago, he/she would instantly noticed their resemblance. They just call it Trados... SLDX and Trados were pretty stable applications but it seems the merger of them is not.

Anyway, I decided to treat it as an ordinary tool. I use it only for larger jobs, when I first prepare a TTX file, work with it in Studio, then save it as TTX, clean to my old TM and retranslate it (doing proofreading at the same time) in TagEditor or Word. Works pretty well. Studio with its AutoSuggest can really speed up the whole process, despite its frequent crashes.
Collapse

Huub Stegeman
Huub Stegeman  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
When will they see the error of their ways? May 22, 2010

Letra wrote:

... I can repeat it again. Anybody who knew SLDX before can clearly see that after purchasing Trados, the company does everything to remove it from the market and impose its own idea....

You're probably right. Meanwhile many translators are simply not at liberty to switch with them (I wouldn't mind if the whole market flipped to SLDX-usage, it's not a bad product). I think they are fighting a losing battle, and will have to cave in at some point. Shame though: I too would like to get away for Word, I would love an integrated interface etc., but not at the cost of losing ALL my regular customers..

The problem with SDL ignoring this problem is that it is not easy to find out when they finally do cave in and offer a patch.

Very annoying!

Will Kelly
Will Kelly
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
Uncleaned/TM May 3, 2012

Hi all,

I use Studio 2009. I have an occasional client that uses a previous version of Trados. She keeps asking me for an 'uncleaned' file. I have no idea what that is, and so I provide her with the translated Word document (Save Target As) as well as the sdlxliff. She then asks for an export of the translation memory. If she has provided me with a bunch of memory files (csv, iix, mdf, mtf, mwf, tmw - which I presume are from Trados 2007) along with the document to be translated the
... See more
Hi all,

I use Studio 2009. I have an occasional client that uses a previous version of Trados. She keeps asking me for an 'uncleaned' file. I have no idea what that is, and so I provide her with the translated Word document (Save Target As) as well as the sdlxliff. She then asks for an export of the translation memory. If she has provided me with a bunch of memory files (csv, iix, mdf, mtf, mwf, tmw - which I presume are from Trados 2007) along with the document to be translated then I can generate a tmx file (if I remember rightly). If she hasn't, then am I right in thinking she's not going to get a TM or 'unclean' file, whatever that is? Is it just a case of she's working with an older version and I can't provide what she's asking for (other than the translation in Word)? Bear in mind I don't know any technical terms like tag editor and ttx, etc.
Collapse

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:21
English to Spanish
SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter May 3, 2012

Will Kelly wrote:

Hi all,

I use Studio 2009. I have an occasional client that uses a previous version of Trados. She keeps asking me for an 'uncleaned' file. I have no idea what that is, and so I provide her with the translated Word document (Save Target As) as well as the sdlxliff. She then asks for an export of the translation memory. If she has provided me with a bunch of memory files (csv, iix, mdf, mtf, mwf, tmw - which I presume are from Trados 2007) along with the document to be translated then I can generate a tmx file (if I remember rightly). If she hasn't, then am I right in thinking she's not going to get a TM or 'unclean' file, whatever that is? Is it just a case of she's working with an older version and I can't provide what she's asking for (other than the translation in Word)? Bear in mind I don't know any technical terms like tag editor and ttx, etc.

Hi Will,

Go to this link and you will find out the answer:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/223088-trados_studio_2009_urgent_help_needed_conversion.html

Best of luck,

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unclean file format in Trados Studio 2009

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »