Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Is there a manual for Trados Studio 2009?
Thread poster: Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:29
English to French
+ ...
Jul 9, 2009

I would just like to know if there is a manual for the latest Trados. If not, I would like for SDL Support to let me know when such documents will be available.

It is extremely frustrating to have to take stabs at the interface which is very different from what users are accustomed to. To begin with, getting started on the translation of a simple Word document takes ages, and there is practically no explanation of the myriad options and checkboxes the user is presented with during p
... See more
I would just like to know if there is a manual for the latest Trados. If not, I would like for SDL Support to let me know when such documents will be available.

It is extremely frustrating to have to take stabs at the interface which is very different from what users are accustomed to. To begin with, getting started on the translation of a simple Word document takes ages, and there is practically no explanation of the myriad options and checkboxes the user is presented with during project setup (integrating Synergy into the new product was a baaaad idea). This makes using the software risky.

The forum on this site and its users are overwhelmed by the huge number of Studio 2009-related questions and concerns. I feel it is too much to ask of Trados users to keep posting their questions here. This is anything but useful and all of this really belongs to beta testing. I have never needed to take courses to learn to use the software before. I am now wondering whether this is exactly the goal of the lack of documentation...

I understand that the software has been released prematurely and isn't yet final, and this may make the production of a manual financially risky. But there surely is at least a draft manual that can be released at least as a preliminary version. Otherwise, the product should not be called Studio 2009, but rather Studio 2010 or even 2011. Needless to say, it should also not be released before the year it becomes usable. I only got Synergy 2007 to work in 2009...
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 04:29
Spanish
+ ...
Help file Jul 9, 2009

The help file is pretty basic but it's very useful also.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:29
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree Jul 9, 2009

ViktoriaG wrote:
I understand that the software has been released prematurely and isn't yet final, and this may make the production of a manual financially risky. But there surely is at least a draft manual that can be released at least as a preliminary version. Otherwise, the product should not be called Studio 2009, but rather Studio 2010 or even 2011. Needless to say, it should also not be released before the year it becomes usable. I only got Synergy 2007 to work in 2009...

I entirely agree. We have seen a quite detailed preview of the tool kindly offered by one of SDL's representative here, and we would love to purchase it, but we simply cannot risk our throughput losing time fixing a host of little things. We need something that works!! I think we will wait until the autumn and see then.

Edited to add this: Although solid gains in productivity should be possible with Studio 2009, I am not convinced the gains will cover the time we will need to spend tweaking the computers and the tool itself to work properly. Has anyone had these same concerns? Did 2009's productivity increase cover the time lost in fixing things?

[Edited at 2009-07-09 05:06 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Where to find Help on SDL Trados Studio 2009… Jul 9, 2009

Hello Viktoria,

We offer various online and offline documentation to help you with your changeover to SDL Trados Studio 2009. The Help documentation has been widely expanded and categorised to include step-by-step guides to getting started and configuring your software.

The first tutorial I would recommend to read would be the Getting Started Guide which is situated on the Home page of SDL Trados Studio 2009. Please open Studio and select View > Home, you will see the
... See more
Hello Viktoria,

We offer various online and offline documentation to help you with your changeover to SDL Trados Studio 2009. The Help documentation has been widely expanded and categorised to include step-by-step guides to getting started and configuring your software.

The first tutorial I would recommend to read would be the Getting Started Guide which is situated on the Home page of SDL Trados Studio 2009. Please open Studio and select View > Home, you will see the Getting Started guide and other tutorials under Popular Help Topics on the left-hand pane.

I would also recommend using the new Help guide as a reference for any of your queries. If you are ever setting up a project and stuck on a particular section or would like to know the meaning of something in particular on that page then simply press F1 on your keyboard to bring up the help guide for that page.

It is now possible to view the help guide online so you can provide URL links to take you directly to the same page. For instance, you can view the online Getting Started guide here: http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/GSTutorial/About_the_Getting_Started_Tutorial.htm

If you would like some more information on upgrading your old Translation Memories then I would recommend reading the migration guide which is available in your program folder. To view the migration guide please go to Start > All Programs > SDL > SDL Trados Studio 2009 > Documentation > SDL Trados Studio 2009 Migration Guide.

Finally, we are currently hosting free webinars to demonstrate SDL Trados Studio’s key features and benefits for translators. This will involve a demonstration of the software and I would highly recommend attending these webinars to get a demonstration of the new workflow. You can view your next available webinar here: http://www.lspzone.com/en/news/events/.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
appreciated, Gareth! Jul 9, 2009

This kind of help is what I have (implicitly) paid for. And, surprise, it's getting delivered, promptly, timely and to the point! Thanks again - and, oh yes, stick around pls, just in case;)

Regards

Vito

[Edited at 2009-07-09 19:16 GMT]

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:29
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Gareth Jul 9, 2009

Thank you for the compilation of help files and tutorials and for your timely response. It is appreciated.

However, I am wondering whether there is something else than help files and tutorials. There used to be a (huge) manual that contained pretty much everything one needed to know, even as an advanced user. This doesn't seem to be the case anymore. I liked the old manual because I could use it as reference material, which is not the case now. While the manual was clearly not meant
... See more
Thank you for the compilation of help files and tutorials and for your timely response. It is appreciated.

However, I am wondering whether there is something else than help files and tutorials. There used to be a (huge) manual that contained pretty much everything one needed to know, even as an advanced user. This doesn't seem to be the case anymore. I liked the old manual because I could use it as reference material, which is not the case now. While the manual was clearly not meant to be used as training material, what I liked about it is that I could look up a topic and have all the information on that topic presented to me together and I could read that chapter or section to have a good general understanding of the topic in question. This cannot be done with help files, as all the different pages in the help file are rather short pages dealing with one very narrow topic, and if I want to understand a process, I have to navigate through lots of pages that are not necessarily in sequence. As for tutorials, they have a tendency to target users that are new to CAT technology and/or Trados, which is not my case, and I would find it a waste of time to have to watch a tutorial that takes me an hour to view when only two minutes of it are of interest to me. Also, with tutorials, you can't search the content and have to watch all the irrelevant bits to ensure you will be watching when it gets to the relevant bit.

I am afraid that if there is no manual, many users will prefer posting here and elsewhere rather than sitting through all the tutorials and using the help files. That would result in a lot of messy bits and pieces of information here and there that are unreliable. I have a bunch of questions and I find it wastes a lot of my time and the time of others to have to type it all out. Were there a manual, I would be able to just look up whatever I need to know.

Is a manual in the works?
Collapse

Luca Ruella
Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Manual Jul 10, 2009

That would result in a lot of messy bits and pieces of information here and there that are unreliable.

I totally agree. Having dozens of little files scattered around the web is confusing and makes me feel lost.

I'd rather prefer to have 1 single big book to print out and look into.

marleen2018
marleen2018  Identity Verified
Belgium
Easy manuel Jul 13, 2009

I'm also despirately waiting for easy manual with screenshots etc. Let's say a manual called "Trados for dummies"

Chrisso (X)
Chrisso (X)
Local time: 09:29
Japanese to English
+ ...
Rip off Jan 7, 2011

It was released prematurely and is full of bugs and plain doesn't work. SDL don’t want to know you unless you’re Xerox or Microsoft. It is ridiculous to release badly designed software that’s full of bugs and not have a manual. Thankfully there are less expensive better options out there that translators are turning to in droves. Congratulations to SDL Trados for opening up the market place to others based on their apathy in incompetence.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What does not work? Which bugs do you adress here? Jan 7, 2011

Chrisso wrote:

It was released prematurely and is full of bugs and plain doesn't work. SDL don’t want to know you unless you’re Xerox or Microsoft. It is ridiculous to release badly designed software that’s full of bugs and not have a manual. Thankfully there are less expensive better options out there that translators are turning to in droves. Congratulations to SDL Trados for opening up the market place to others based on their apathy in incompetence.

What I read here is pure rant without any relation to the topic - which was manual for Studio. As for this I am sure something will be there in the near future.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Hear, hear! Jan 7, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

What I read here is pure rant without any relation to the topic - which was manual for Studio. As for this I am sure something will be there in the near future.

That's good to hear! A manual, and only two years after releasing the software!

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Just to clear things up.. Jan 7, 2011

efreitag wrote:

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

That's good to hear! A manual, and only two years after releasing the software!

Hi,

When we released the 2009 suite of products we made a decision not to produce any more hard copy manuals. There are no changes to this so please do not expect to see one.

The online help is not a series of random files scattered around the internet. The online help is held in one location with all pages linked together and is searchable. It is also a dynamic resource that we can update without having to issue new copies whenever we create a new release.

This resource will continue to improve as time goes by allowing us to take advantage of new ways to help users with Video, links to other resources online (wikis, youtube. forums for example), live examples etc. You can print sections now from the help if you like.

Regards

Paul

Radu Nicolaescu
Radu Nicolaescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 11:29
Member (2006)
German to Romanian
+ ...
Help as manual Jan 7, 2011

The "Help" itself is a real manual

just open
Example: Project Package Translation Workflow
and
Example: Single-File Translation Workflow
to have the diagrams of the full procedure

an then open every diagram-box to learn how to do every step

good luck !

Xjy
Xjy
Help files url Mar 24, 2011

So, is there a url for the help files that you can access without actually being in Trados?
It's not good to be chained to your account if you want to browse or get an overview. That's what's so good about paper manuals.
Some of us can read a handbook as well as a support person.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
URL for Studio Help Mar 25, 2011

Xjy wrote:

So, is there a url for the help files that you can access without actually being in Trados?
It's not good to be chained to your account if you want to browse or get an overview. That's what's so good about paper manuals.
Some of us can read a handbook as well as a support person.

I have edited this single link because we recently published a new page that is much better, as a reference for all the products:

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/support/online-product-help/

But as most users in this forum only use two of these regularly, I added these here too:

http://tinyurl.com/Studiohelp
http://tinyurl.com/MultiTermhelp

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2011-03-25 10:21 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a manual for Trados Studio 2009?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »