ProZ.com global directory of translation services
 The translation workplace
Ideas

User
Thread poster: chopra_2002
Difference between Perfect Match/Repetitions/100% Match.

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 08:20
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jul 17, 2009

Hello friends,

When I analyze a file to know about the repetitions and other type of matches, I find the following three items in addition to others:

Repetitions

Perfect Match

100% Match

The above items seem similar to a layman because if there is a 100% match, it means that the same text has been repeated and it also matches perfectly but since these items have been created separately, there would definitely be some difference between them.

I would be thankful if you could explain the difference between these three items.

Regards,

Chopra

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:50
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I will try to clarify the difference Jul 17, 2009

First of all, a 100% match is a sentence in the new document analysed that is identical to a sentence in the translation memory that has already previously been translated.

A repetition, on the other hand, can be found in the analysis even when the analysis has been done against a brand new, empty translation memory.

A repetition is simply a complete phrase or sentence that is repeated within the new document being analysed. Repetitions are the only thing that can be found when you analyse the document against an empty translation memory.

As for a "Perfect Match", I do not know so much about them. It is a kind of context match. It would interest agencies providing a translation memory to a translator. They could theoretically ask for a 100% discount for any Perfect Matches in the document, because these matches should not need to be checked, as they already have been checked for context. The help menu says the following about the "Perfect Match":

"PerfectMatch
A PerfectMatch is a form of context match that compares updated source files to a corresponding set of old bilingual documents rather than to a translation memory. Segment matches, known as PerfectMatch units (XUs), are checked for context, that is, the surrounding entries are checked to ensure that they are the same. They are then extracted from the old bilingual documents and transferred to the updated source files. Because the PerfectMatch segment matching process includes a check for context, XUs typically need no further translation or editing during translation.

NOTE
PerfectMatch cannot be performed in SDL Trados Studio, however if you include TradosTag (TTX) files in your SDL Trados Studio project that have been pre-translated in earlier versions of SDL Trados, PerfectMatch data pertaining to those files can be displayed."

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 03:50
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
In short (?) Jul 17, 2009

A 100% match is when there is a segment in your new document that is identical to a segment already in your TM.

When you have a new file to translate, and there is a segment that is new (not included in your TM) but it is repeated in the new file, the first instance of it will be a no-match, and the remaining ones will be repetitions.

Perfect matches are 100% matches that don't only match your TM segments on their own, but they do so in the context. This helps avoid problems where the same segment should be translated in different ways in different contexts. Those are the 100% matches you should not need to review (and you can't, because they're locked). Pretranslation with perfect matches is only available in Professional Trados versions.

HTH

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 08:20
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the informative answers. Jul 18, 2009

I thank both of you for the information provided by you. Now, it is clear to me.

Regards,

Chopra

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]
Myron Netchypor[Call to this topic]
Marco Ramón[Call to this topic]
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Difference between Perfect Match/Repetitions/100% Match.

SDL Trados Studio 2014 Starter Edition
Translation software for only €99 per year

The Starter Edition is an affordable but scaled down version of the industry’s leading translation software, SDL Trados Studio 2014 Freelance. It enables translators to join the largest supply chain at a reduced price.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »