Claudia Weigel (X)
Claudia Weigel (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:52
English to German
+ ...
Oct 23, 2009

Hi,

when I try opening a Termbase in Trados Studio 2009 I get the following error message: Error Code: 2147467259; External component has thrown an exception.

I moved the SDL folders around in "My Data" and cleaned up the registry just before that error appeared the first time. I undid the changes in the registry and moved the folders back were they were before, but the error still apears. I also reinstalled Studio 2009, but it's still there.

Anybody an i
... See more
Hi,

when I try opening a Termbase in Trados Studio 2009 I get the following error message: Error Code: 2147467259; External component has thrown an exception.

I moved the SDL folders around in "My Data" and cleaned up the registry just before that error appeared the first time. I undid the changes in the registry and moved the folders back were they were before, but the error still apears. I also reinstalled Studio 2009, but it's still there.

Anybody an idea what the error message actually means and how I might be able to fix that problem?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Claudia
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Java troubles again Oct 24, 2009

Hi Claudia,
I may be exactly wrong, but this seems to me to be one of the known Java bugs. Please visit talisma.sdl.com and search for the article No. 2529.
I hope this will help.

Claudia Weigel (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Doesn't seem to be Java Oct 24, 2009

Hi,

thanks for your help!

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be Java causing the problem. I did go to the knowledge base and checked 2529. As this one describes problems with Java and Trados 2007 I followed the link to Article # 2759, which deals with Trados 2009 and Java. I followed the instructions, but the problem is still there. When I try to add a Termbase to my document/project in Trados 2009 it shows the error message again.
External component has thrown an
... See more
Hi,

thanks for your help!

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be Java causing the problem. I did go to the knowledge base and checked 2529. As this one describes problems with Java and Trados 2007 I followed the link to Article # 2759, which deals with Trados 2009 and Java. I followed the instructions, but the problem is still there. When I try to add a Termbase to my document/project in Trados 2009 it shows the error message again.
External component has thrown an exception.
-

Might it be that MultiTerm itself is reason for the trouble?

I am happy about any suggestions!

Claudia
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do you use Studio or Studio SP1? Oct 24, 2009

If you are using Studio as its original release from June this year, then the reason it Studio itself.
In that case upgrade to Studio 2009 SP1 asap.
Otherwise try to install Multiterm again.
Should this not help, I'm afraid a complete uninstall of Studio, Multiterm and ALL Java versions above 1.5 may be necessary.
Switching the next generation plug-in in Java settings wasn't necessary on my PC when using some stage of SP1 beta. Now, I have the next generation plug-in swit
... See more
If you are using Studio as its original release from June this year, then the reason it Studio itself.
In that case upgrade to Studio 2009 SP1 asap.
Otherwise try to install Multiterm again.
Should this not help, I'm afraid a complete uninstall of Studio, Multiterm and ALL Java versions above 1.5 may be necessary.
Switching the next generation plug-in in Java settings wasn't necessary on my PC when using some stage of SP1 beta. Now, I have the next generation plug-in switched off and Multiterm is working properly.
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Concerns Studio too Oct 24, 2009

Hi Claudia,
in my experience, the article concerns Studio too. I had this problem before applying SP1.
I would definitely give this a try before proceeding as Jerzy suggests.

Claudia Weigel (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tried all the suggestions, nothing worked Oct 25, 2009

Hi again,

I tried everything mentioned (Jave settings, reinstalling the programs), nothing worked. Still the same error message. Can't open Multi Term anymore. I also get an error message, saying: Unexpected exception when initializing view part.

I was already using Trados 2009 SP1 - the error appeared after I cleaned up a bit with a programm called ccleaner - not sure if there might be a connection. I have done so before without getting these error messages.
... See more
Hi again,

I tried everything mentioned (Jave settings, reinstalling the programs), nothing worked. Still the same error message. Can't open Multi Term anymore. I also get an error message, saying: Unexpected exception when initializing view part.

I was already using Trados 2009 SP1 - the error appeared after I cleaned up a bit with a programm called ccleaner - not sure if there might be a connection. I have done so before without getting these error messages.

My computer does't actually have the recommended 2GB RAM so I am wondering if that might be the reason (which doesn't explain why it worked all the time before).

Any ideas if that might be the reason? Might it help to upgrade my hardware?

Thanks in advance!

Claudia
Collapse

Claudia Weigel (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Works again after using Windows System Restore Oct 25, 2009

Hi again,

After making my system three days younger by using the Windows System Restore, everything works again. So I must have deleted some important entry/entries in the registry by using the program ccleaner (Which is still odd enough, as I already "reapplied" the deleted registry entries before, but it didn't help).

Anyways, I can't think about anything else what might have caused the issue.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions!

Claudia

Joel Earnest
Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
Same problem Nov 1, 2009

Another user and I are having the same problem (http://www.proz.com/post/1251524#1251524) and I don't have an appropriate restore point.

I've done a clean install (using Revo Uninstaller), uninstalled all Sun products and then reinnstalled Studio and MT (on top of the old installations) to get the right Java versions. No luck.

I have the following Java runtime versions:
... See more
Another user and I are having the same problem (http://www.proz.com/post/1251524#1251524) and I don't have an appropriate restore point.

I've done a clean install (using Revo Uninstaller), uninstalled all Sun products and then reinnstalled Studio and MT (on top of the old installations) to get the right Java versions. No luck.

I have the following Java runtime versions:
1.6.0_14
1.3.1_18

Have turned off automatic updates and use of next-generation Java plug-ins, and set the runtime parameters to "-Xmx32m".

Problem began after updating from the last available release canditate to the final SP1 release. Reinstalling the release candidate didn't help either, although I think I'll give it a try again, just to see which versions of Java it installs.

[Edited at 2009-11-01 12:47 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-11-01 15:17 GMT]
Collapse

Joel Earnest
Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
Java versions Nov 1, 2009

After reinstalling it all from scratch again, using the final release candidate, I have these Java versions:

1.6.0_14
1.5.0_10

Problem remains. Guess I'll just have to wait until Gareth and Paul start in again tomorrow.

Joel Earnest
Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
SOLVED Nov 2, 2009

I have a support contract now and lots of things were tried. What seemed to do it was a clean uninstall, shutting off the Resident Shield component in AVG Free (antivirus software) and reinstalling.

William Pairman
William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
5 years and 2 versions later and the problem still exists Jan 30, 2015

It's not Java, its a bug in Trados.

Why they don't address these problems first before working on more gimmicky elements I don't know

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Isn't it? Jan 30, 2015

Hello William,

I guess you are basing your comment on this five year old post because Java was removed from Studio and MultiTerm with the last service pack for Studio 2014. So it did take a while but we got there in the end.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error message when trying to open Termbase in Trados Studio 2009

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »