Dr JM Chen, PhD
Dr JM Chen, PhD  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:10
Chinese to English
+ ...
Nov 3, 2009

Hi,

How do I add another new file to an already created project in Trados Studio please?

I'm in the Project view, and when I click on the 'Add files to the current project', I got message: 'You have to switch to the project source language in order to add files'

I think I am already using the project source language, why wouldn't it let me add a new file??

Thank you for your help.

JM Chen

P.s. Is there a comprehensive
... See more
Hi,

How do I add another new file to an already created project in Trados Studio please?

I'm in the Project view, and when I click on the 'Add files to the current project', I got message: 'You have to switch to the project source language in order to add files'

I think I am already using the project source language, why wouldn't it let me add a new file??

Thank you for your help.

JM Chen

P.s. Is there a comprehensive guide for Trados Studio somewhere? I have attended an online training course, so I've received the 'Getting Started for Translators' guide as part of the training course. But for most software, the manufactures provide some kind of Guides/Manuals. By 'Guide', I don't mean the Articles in SDL Support Knowledge Base. I'm look for something more comprehensive, more suitable for learning step by step. Is there one? Many thanks!
Collapse

Elina Andriamananahasinoro
Elina Andriamananahasinoro  Identity Verified
Madagascar
Local time: 07:10
English to French
adding a new file to Trados Studio 2009 project Nov 3, 2009

Hi JM,

You have to switch to "Files" view. Then, on the top left pane, you have got a drop down menu with your source and target languages. Select your source language. Now, you can add other files to your project.

Hope that helps,
Elina

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:10
French to Polish
+ ...
Listbox... Nov 3, 2009

Dr JM Chen, PhD wrote:

You must select your source language in the listbox on the left.
When the target language is shown, you can't add new items.

It's quite logical, the message is rather clear (although it should be more explicit) but I think the language should be switched automatically.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-11-03 14:44 GMT]

Dr JM Chen, PhD
United Kingdom
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
comprehensive Trados Studio guide? Nov 3, 2009

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Dr JM Chen, PhD wrote:

You must select your source language in the listbox on the left.
When the target language is shown, you can't add new items.

It's quite logical, the message is rather clear (although it should be more explicit) but I think the language should be switched automatically.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-11-03 14:44 GMT]

Now I see (the left column was hidden earlier). Thank you very much GG.

Does anyone know if it's possible to find a full guide for Trados Studio? I've purchased the 'Getting Started for Translators' guide with the on-line course, but I'd like to have a more comprehensive guide. Cheers!

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Online Help Nov 3, 2009

Dr JM Chen, PhD wrote:

Does anyone know if it's possible to find a full guide for Trados Studio? I've purchased the 'Getting Started for Translators' guide with the on-line course, but I'd like to have a more comprehensive guide. Cheers!

Hello Dr JM Chem,

We only provide online help with Studio and do not have any guides other than what is available. However, there are some quite good tutorials in the Help and these should give you a good start.

http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/GSTutorial/About_the_Getting_Started_Tutorial.htm

Have you tried these yet?

Regards

Paul

Dr JM Chen, PhD
United Kingdom
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the online tutorial link! Nov 3, 2009

SDL Support wrote:

Dr JM Chen, PhD wrote:

Hello Dr JM Chem,

We only provide online help with Studio and do not have any guides other than what is available. However, there are some quite good tutorials in the Help and these should give you a good start.

http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/GSTutorial/About_the_Getting_Started_Tutorial.htm

Have you tried these yet?

Regards

Paul

Thank you, Paul.

I only have the guide purchased with the online course, which is different from this online tutorial. Thanks for posting the link.

Regards,

JM Chen

Dr JM Chen, PhD
United Kingdom
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Nov 3, 2009

Elina Andriamananahasinoro wrote:

Hi JM,

You have to switch to "Files" view. Then, on the top left pane, you have got a drop down menu with your source and target languages. Select your source language. Now, you can add other files to your project.

Hope that helps,
Elina

Yes, I found out just now, thank you, Elina.

JM Chen

Paul Tindall
Paul Tindall  Identity Verified
French to English
Great... but Jan 21, 2010

Hi, I am having a similar problem... having changed language I can add the file and it is now displayed in the file list provided I don't change the language back. The trouble with this is that I can only open files for translation when the language is set to the target language.#

In other words, when the language is set to the source language, I can see the file but cannot open it (or indeed any of the files) for translation. When it is set to the target language, I cannot see the
... See more
Hi, I am having a similar problem... having changed language I can add the file and it is now displayed in the file list provided I don't change the language back. The trouble with this is that I can only open files for translation when the language is set to the target language.#

In other words, when the language is set to the source language, I can see the file but cannot open it (or indeed any of the files) for translation. When it is set to the target language, I cannot see the new file.

Any ideas?

TIA
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Prepare the file for translation Jan 21, 2010

Hi,

Now that you have added the file to a project that has been prepared already you must prepare the file for translation. So, after adding the file you can right click the file, then select "Batch Tasks - Prepare" or whatever option you want at this stage.

Then when you go back to the target the file will be there as a bilingual document ready for you to translate.

Regards

Paul

Paul Tindall
Paul Tindall  Identity Verified
French to English
aha Jan 21, 2010

In the source language view, you need to choose Batch Tasks / Copy to Target Language. The file then appears in the target language view and can be opened for translation.

Why on earth you should need to do this is a mystery to me...

Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Still having problems Jul 12, 2010

The tips given above seemed to solve the problem for me for a while. But now Trados will no longer let me add files to a project even if I follow these steps. The only way I can add files to a project is if I delete all the existing files before adding the new ones - that rather defeats the object. Help!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
File names identical, but just different extensions? Jul 13, 2010

Studio will not add the same file in different formats, so if this is the case you just need to change the file name (extension is NOT enough).

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
About the mystery of logical thinking Jul 13, 2010

Paul Tindall wrote:

In the source language view, you need to choose Batch Tasks / Copy to Target Language. The file then appears in the target language view and can be opened for translation.

If you look at the structure of each project, you'll see the original files in the source folder, then the sdlxliff files there and a target folder, which has just the sdlxliff files at the start.
When you add file, you do that obviously to the source folder. Due to the concept of batch tasks you need now to perform the corresponding preparation tasks as you did for the other files when creating the project for the first time. This is quite logical.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Point and click interface... Jul 13, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Paul Tindall wrote:

If you look at the structure of each project, you'll see the original files in the source folder, then the sdlxliff files there and a target folder, which has just the sdlxliff files at the start.
When you add file, you do that obviously to the source folder. Due to the concept of batch tasks you need now to perform the corresponding preparation tasks as you did for the other files when creating the project for the first time. This is quite logical.

Yep, it's quite logical but without the concept of batch tasks I can easily add a file to an existing project in MQ or DVX.
Just like the Smith & Wesson interface, point and click.

IMO this procedure is unecessarrily complex in Trados. the added files should be populated automatically.

BTW.
You can right click and use the contextual menu to access the Batch tasks.
It's a little bit faster.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-07-13 09:36 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Complex vs logical Jul 13, 2010

The question was about logic, not complexity.
Complex tasks do not necessarily mean illogical and vice versa - simple tasks are not logical by definition.
So even if the process might have been designed easier it still remains logical.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adding another new file to already created project in Trados Studio

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »