Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Cleaning files in Studio 2009
Thread poster: David Turnbull
David Turnbull
David Turnbull  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:46
Russian to English
Dec 7, 2009

I have translated a ttx file for an agency. They wanted both ttx and the cleaned Word file. I put the original ttx and Word files in the same folder. When I try to clean up the translated ttx file and select "original", I get the error message that it cannot find the original file in a temp folder. I have even tried putting the original Word file into the specified temp file (which surely can't be normal) and to no avail. I have no experience of Tageditor, but feel sure I should be able to ... See more
I have translated a ttx file for an agency. They wanted both ttx and the cleaned Word file. I put the original ttx and Word files in the same folder. When I try to clean up the translated ttx file and select "original", I get the error message that it cannot find the original file in a temp folder. I have even tried putting the original Word file into the specified temp file (which surely can't be normal) and to no avail. I have no experience of Tageditor, but feel sure I should be able to complete these processes in Studio 2009.
Any help would be much appreciated
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 18:46
English to Czech
+ ...
File location Dec 7, 2009

Hi "uei",
place both files into the same folder. Open the TTX in Notepad and edit the file header SourceDocumentPath="": replace the path between the inverted commas with the actual DOC file path. Then try to clean up.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Were you the one, who created the TTX file? Dec 7, 2009

Are you sure you are working with SDL Trados 2009 Studio?
If so, why do you speak about a cleanup process? It does not exist there anymore.
When you create the TTX from Word and save both in same directory, then open the TTX in Studio, after the translation you will be able to save both the translated TTX and a target Word file.
Otherwise you need to modify the TTX header to the correct path, where your Word file is saved.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
same file names Dec 7, 2009

Maybe you or your agency have changed the file names.
Make sure that your files all have the same name, just different extensions. Otherwise Trados won't be able to create a target Word file from your ttx because it won't find the source Word file of reference.

David Turnbull
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
ttx files in Trados 2009 Studio Dec 7, 2009

Thank you both for the replies. Firstly my reference to clean up was mistaken terminology. I meant the process in which the clean Word fie is obtained - saving the target file as original in Studio.
I have not tried modifying the header as I do have both files in the same directory/folder. I did not convert the Word file to ttx myself. Both files were supplied by the agency.
The fact that Studio is looking for the file in a temp folder led me to "add new folder" rather than "add
... See more
Thank you both for the replies. Firstly my reference to clean up was mistaken terminology. I meant the process in which the clean Word fie is obtained - saving the target file as original in Studio.
I have not tried modifying the header as I do have both files in the same directory/folder. I did not convert the Word file to ttx myself. Both files were supplied by the agency.
The fact that Studio is looking for the file in a temp folder led me to "add new folder" rather than "add new file" as I guess that should put them in a temporary Studio folder, but the software is looking for them in C/Users/David/AppData/Temp
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
So the reason is the different folder structure Dec 7, 2009

in your customers PC and in yours.
You can:
- either recreate the ttx from the Word file you have and repeat the whole process
- or modify the path section in ttx file header

David Turnbull
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
ttx in Studio Dec 7, 2009

Thank you. I will try both.

However I have just found in another section of the forum an exchange about the lack of compatibility of Studio with earlier versions (post #182056), and then checked that when I thought I'd saved the ttx (at the request of the agency) it was in fact a ttx.sdlxliff file which apparently will be no good to the agency??

The incompatibility issue was drawn to the attention of Trados (post#182105), who did not deny it but stated that agencies sho
... See more
Thank you. I will try both.

However I have just found in another section of the forum an exchange about the lack of compatibility of Studio with earlier versions (post #182056), and then checked that when I thought I'd saved the ttx (at the request of the agency) it was in fact a ttx.sdlxliff file which apparently will be no good to the agency??

The incompatibility issue was drawn to the attention of Trados (post#182105), who did not deny it but stated that agencies should "encourage their translators to upgrade"
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I'm afraid you are mixing things up here Dec 7, 2009

What you call "incompatibility" is just the new file format in Studio.
Would you read my first posting in this thread, would you know, that you will be able to save both a translated TTX and a clean Word file after you open the *.doc.ttx in Studio.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
No matter Dec 7, 2009

Hi again,
if the TTX header refers to your client's hard-drive, because that's where the TTX was created, it's simply no use having both DOC and TTX in the same folder. You have to tell TagEditor where the original DOC is located in YOUR machine by modifying the TTX header.

David Turnbull
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
ttx and Studio file format Dec 7, 2009

Thank you.

Yes, I agree that from a technical point of view I am mixing things up. That is because my query and learning are needs-driven and, in trying to find out how to resolve one problem, I have encountered another which is both relevant and is being flagged up by users who have a lot more experience than me and, I think, of interest to the wider audience of this forum.

Firstly, to follow your advice, I have to learn how to convert a Word file to ttx. Sorry, but
... See more
Thank you.

Yes, I agree that from a technical point of view I am mixing things up. That is because my query and learning are needs-driven and, in trying to find out how to resolve one problem, I have encountered another which is both relevant and is being flagged up by users who have a lot more experience than me and, I think, of interest to the wider audience of this forum.

Firstly, to follow your advice, I have to learn how to convert a Word file to ttx. Sorry, but I am new to this.

Secondly, I am not sure that when I have done this, I will be able to do what my agency wants -which is to receive a ttx file and Word file, and send them a processed ttx file and translated Word file for their Trados 2007 software. I can do the Word file by following your advice, learning how to convert the original Word file myself etc.

But if the file I convert myself has a different structure, would it be of any use to them? And I don't think I can send them a ttx file anyway - only a ttx.sdlxiff
Collapse

David Turnbull
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
file location Dec 7, 2009

Thank you, Stanislav.

I now understand why it could not be found. BUT I can't find SourceDocumentPath when I open in Wordpad! SoIi can't edit it

David Turnbull
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
changing header doesn't work Jan 2, 2010

Gentlemen,
I was not able to follow up on your advice till now. Converting the original word file myself, I can then save both as bilingual and Word files, but if I use the ttx file sent to me and edit the header, I still cannot save the target as a Word file. The error message is that it cannot locate the original file, yet the file is sitting there in the directory in which it says it can't locate it!

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use the TM to retranslate the file Jan 2, 2010

First, place the original Word document to be translated in a folder of your choice.
Now create a TTX file from it by opening the file in Tageditor and saving it.
Create a subfolder named "Target" for your target files.
Now open the newly created TTX file in Studio, assign the tm you used for translating the ttx file your customer send you. Use the batch function "Pretranslate files" to have all 100% matches inseted automaticaly. OPen the file for translation, make sure all seg
... See more
First, place the original Word document to be translated in a folder of your choice.
Now create a TTX file from it by opening the file in Tageditor and saving it.
Create a subfolder named "Target" for your target files.
Now open the newly created TTX file in Studio, assign the tm you used for translating the ttx file your customer send you. Use the batch function "Pretranslate files" to have all 100% matches inseted automaticaly. OPen the file for translation, make sure all segments are translated. Save the file. Now use the function "Save target as...". Save the target ttx and the target Word to your Target folder.

As for the file your customer send you: either the path you edited including the file name or the file name itself does not match the original source file. Remember, that even a double dot or an extra space in file name will break the conversion. If you have used special characters for file name, it will convert only, if the encoding in your system is exactly the same as in customer system, as the characters in the file name must be interpreted in the same way.
Collapse

David Turnbull
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
solution Jan 2, 2010

Thank you. That is a comprehensive solution and very helpful.
Incidentally, can you tell me why translation agencies ask for the ttx file as well as the Word file?

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Ask the agency Jan 2, 2010

it depends - some want just ttx files, some want bilingual files and target files and some others agree on target file finally formatted and an export from TM.
I am the wrong person to be asked.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cleaning files in Studio 2009

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »