Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Trados for Excel in demo mode only
Thread poster: Joanne Parker

Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:47
German to English
+ ...
Oct 27, 2003

Whilst I can use Trados as normal for Word and PPT, my Trados dongle suddenly doesn't seem to work with the T-Window for Excel.

I've checked the Trados site and it tells me to update my dongle drivers. I've done that but still I can only work in Demo mode.

As I said before, it's working perfectly well with all other T-Windows. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it?

Thanks,

Joanne


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:47
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Trados 5.5 Oct 27, 2003

As far as I can remember, Trados 5.5 didn't really feature the T-Window for Excel. Maybe it was more or less incorporated to make the users excited, so they would quickly buy a new release, but I might be wrong.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:47
English to German
+ ...
Check your license data Oct 27, 2003

Hi Joanne,
Have you checked your license data (go to Workbench and check under Help - About)? If the license covers the T-Window Collection, this shouldn't happen, but it's possible that you only have a license for T-Window for PPT.

HTH - Ralf


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:47
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
License Oct 27, 2003

Hi Ralf,

Well, I checked and it tells me the license number and then it says "Trados 5.5 Freelance". There's no mention of the other T-Window functions - should there be?

Joanne


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Dorothee Racette  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:47
German to English
+ ...
The full version of T-Window for Excel is not part of Freelance 5.5 Oct 27, 2003

Joanne,

T-Window for Excel was only included as a trial version in the Freelance 5.5 version. You had to purchase the \"T-Window Collection\" (or some such title) to get the T-Window for Excel. Only the PowerPoint T-Window was included in the Freelance edition.

Dorothee


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxmishima
Local time: 13:47
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
It is not included Oct 28, 2003

Dorothee Racette wrote:

T-Window for Excel was only included as a trial version in the Freelance 5.5 version. You had to purchase the "T-Window Collection" (or some such title) to get the T-Window for Excel.

Dorothee


I was surprised when I purchased Trados 5.5 FL to see that an important program such as Excel was not included in such an expensive package. When I asked for explanations they simply told me that I needed to spend additional money (around 200 Euro, if I remember well). This was another reason, among many others, that pushed me to buy and use DejaVu.

Mishima


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:47
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ah - I see what's happened Oct 28, 2003

I originally bought Trados 5, which I'm pretty sure DID include T-Window for Excel (I remember posting a question about how you use it). I upgraded to 5.5 and I also think it still worked then.

However, I recently swapped my serial port dongle for a USB one - and that one is obviously for 5.5 and therefore doesn't enable me to use T-Windows anymore.

Hmm - looks like my only option is to upgrade in that case.

Thanks for helping me clear this up everyone.

Kind regards,

Joanne

[Edited at 2003-10-28 09:46]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:47
English to French
Only solution? Oct 28, 2003

Joanne Parker wrote:
...
However, I recently swapped my serial port dongle for a USB one - and that one is obviously for 5.5 and therefore doesn't enable me to use T-Windows anymore.

Hmm - looks like my only option is to upgrade in that case.

Thanks for helping me clear this up everyone.

Kind regards,

Joanne

If I were you, I would consider that my only solution is to start using a program from a company supporting decent business practices.

IMO, something like that does not come accross to me as honest, or even close to it.

Anyway, if you are not very enthousiastic about buying the T-windows collection again, I would suggest you get wordfast's demo. It's free and the only limit is that you can't go beyond 500 TU with 1 TM (circa 4500 words), which is quite enough for many excel files, not to mention that the BTM is not limited in any way.

Actually my advice would be to go for Wordfast for real, but I know you have read my (and others) posts before and if you are confortable with Trados, I guess you have your reasons. However, upgrading for the sole purpose to handle Excel files is maybe not worth it.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:47
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
wordfast, hmm Oct 28, 2003

That's a good idea, actually. I didn't think of using the "demo" version of Wordfast for Excel and will look into it. Thanks for the info.

I would love to explain why I actually like using Trados, but I guess that would be off topic, so I won't go into it here


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Karin Adamczyk  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:47
Member
French to English
Not a question of dishonesty Oct 28, 2003

sylver wrote:

If I were you, I would consider that my only solution is to start using a program from a company supporting decent business practices.


This is just jumping to conclusions.

All Joanne needs to do is contact Trados support and explain the problem. The same happened when I upgraded from one version to another -- some of my licenses did not appear (ExtraTerm and XTranslate).

Trados has many different modules and each license is individual. Someone at support will check their records to determine which licenses Joanne has purchased and, if applicable, will send a new update file by e-mail. This is exactly what they did for me and it was all completed the same day.

I find a lot of people are very quick to bad talk Trados when they run into problems. Trados is very complex software that requires a certain amount of knowledge. When problems occur, it is best to contact your support representative. I'm willing to bet you will be very pleasantly surprised.

BTW, training and a support program are very good ideas. I have attended training and purchased a support program and both were worth every penny.

I have made my share of negative comments too and learned that it was my lack of knowledge of the capabilities of the programs and of various settings that caused my problems.

Take care,
Karin Adamczyk


Direct link Reply with quote
 

sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:47
English to French
Dishonesty Oct 28, 2003

Karin Adamczyk wrote:

sylver wrote:

If I were you, I would consider that my only solution is to start using a program from a company supporting decent business practices.


This is just jumping to conclusions.

All Joanne needs to do is contact Trados support and explain the problem. The same happened when I upgraded from one version to another -- some of my licenses did not appear (ExtraTerm and XTranslate).

Trados has many different modules and each license is individual. Someone at support will check their records to determine which licenses Joanne has purchased and, if applicable, will send a new update file by e-mail. This is exactly what they did for me and it was all completed the same day.

I find a lot of people are very quick to bad talk Trados when they run into problems. Trados is very complex software that requires a certain amount of knowledge. When problems occur, it is best to contact your support representative. I'm willing to bet you will be very pleasantly surprised.

BTW, training and a support program are very good ideas. I have attended training and purchased a support program and both were worth every penny.

I have made my share of negative comments too and learned that it was my lack of knowledge of the capabilities of the programs and of various settings that caused my problems.

Take care,
Karin Adamczyk


I understand what you mean. A lot of problems steem from lack of training and knowledge on "how it works".

However, my opinion remains that Trados is using unfair business practices, and that goes well beyond this stupid situation. (I mean, if I was to pay $200 for a software upgrade, I would certainly expect from my provider to make sure I get the correct upgrade package).

For instance, how is TM encryption beneficial to the user? How fair is it to change the encryption mode between versions to force users into upgrading constantly? What about the denial of service if network settings are detected (last version)? What about their advertisements that Trados is the only CAT operating in Word? The list goes on.

All these pratices sum up to (IMO) a very dodgy way to conduct business, and none of that is due to a lack of understanding or a bug. I don't have anything against Trados as a software, but I do not appreciate the company's attitude.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Karin Adamczyk  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:47
Member
French to English
Some more good news from Trados Oct 29, 2003

sylver wrote:
However, my opinion remains that Trados is using unfair business practices, and that goes well beyond this stupid situation. (I mean, if I was to pay $200 for a software upgrade, I would certainly expect from my provider to make sure I get the correct upgrade package).

Reply: Mistakes do happen. After all, the people working there are only human.

For instance, how is TM encryption beneficial to the user? How fair is it to change the encryption mode between versions to force users into upgrading constantly?

Reply: The change in encryption does not force users to upgrade because the export .txt format has remained the same. The change in encryption is due to different database formats, which are no doubt required for the different functions. Trados is not alone here -- they do have to try to protect their market share and they have to make it difficult for hackers to break through the code.

What about the denial of service if network settings are detected (last version)?

Reply: If you follow the discussions on the user's list, you will know that this has been addressed by Trados and that they plan an announcement soon with good news on this issue.

What about their advertisements that Trados is the only CAT operating in Word?

Reply: I have never noticed that, but I'm not saying this isn't true. Can you point me to this?



Just received confirmation from my sales rep that my upgrade to 6.5 will be free because I have an annual support contract. Note that this is from 6 LSP to 6.5 LSP. I don't know if the situation with support contracts for freelance versions is the same.

In my opinion, this is another excellent reason to have a support contract.

FWIW,
Karin Adamczyk


Direct link Reply with quote
 

sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:47
English to French
I see... Oct 29, 2003

Karin Adamczyk wrote:

sylver wrote:

However, my opinion remains that Trados is using unfair business practices, and that goes well beyond this stupid situation. (I mean, if I was to pay $200 for a software upgrade, I would certainly expect from my provider to make sure I get the correct upgrade package).

Reply: Mistakes do happen. After all, the people working there are only human.

For instance, how is TM encryption beneficial to the user? How fair is it to change the encryption mode between versions to force users into upgrading constantly?

Reply: The change in encryption does not force users to upgrade because the export .txt format has remained the same. The change in encryption is due to different database formats, which are no doubt required for the different functions. Trados is not alone here -- they do have to try to protect their market share and they have to make it difficult for hackers to break through the code.

What about the denial of service if network settings are detected (last version)?

Reply: If you follow the discussions on the user's list, you will know that this has been addressed by Trados and that they plan an announcement soon with good news on this issue.

What about their advertisements that Trados is the only CAT operating in Word?

Reply: I have never noticed that, but I'm not saying this isn't true. Can you point me to this?


Just received confirmation from my sales rep that my upgrade to 6.5 will be free because I have an annual support contract.

FWIW,
Karin Adamczyk


Ok, so, for $200, you get an update that doesn't match your product. Human error? Perhaps, but if I remember well some other posts of yours, you have a much lower tolerance margin for translations errors... You seem definitely more forgiving on the CAT issue. That said, I fully agree that mistakes can happen, and if it was the only instance, I would have a very different outlook on that company.

Anyway, about encryption being different from one version to the next means that a Trados user that does not upgrade is unable to open a trados TM directly, but need to ask the customer for an export, which also sometimes lead to problems as (correct me if I am mistaken) I think language codes are not exactly the same in all Trados versions. Either way, the translator using a past version of Trados, be it only 6 months old, can't open his software's standard TM format. That's downright ridiculous.

The claim that this is "needed to introduce new functions" is largely unfounded. If anything, encryption makes it harder to capitalize on the TM's content, so it is definitely no prerequisite for a translation function.

The real reason behind it is to prevent full compatibility with past versions or worse to them, other CATs. The TM is the property of the translator or of the agency/customer depending the contract, not that of Trados. It follows that by encrypting TMs (with no options to leave them uncrypted), Trados is unduly regulating the use of files it has no rights to. I find this downright dodgy. The correct way to protect and expand a market share is to be the best, offer functions that people need. Not to restrain compatibility.

Hackers have nothing to do with it either. We are talking about encryption of TMs (end user documents) and not of the code (which would be fully legitimate). Protecting TMs from hackers? That's a joke, right? Beside, all a hacker would have to do to read the content of the TM would be to get the said version of Trados (the demo would do)

Offering an encryption feature to allow customers to protect their documents (not just the TM - How dumb is it to encrypt the TM and leave the segmented document is regular Word format?) at will would be all right, I guess, but that's definitely not what Trados is doing.

About the network limitations, I am glad to hear they are reconsidering this "feature". However, according to their original statement, that limitation was no accident and that certainly reflects a business attitude which I do not feel confortable with.

In regard to the advertisement, it was on their web site about 2 months ago, and I don't feel like spending hours to dig it out from all that marketing talk of theirs.

I see no reason to change my opinion on the matter

(It's running pretty late, so I will end that post now, and probably add some more an other day).


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:47
English to German
+ ...
A few corrections Oct 29, 2003

Sorry, Sylvain, but some of the points you raise are not quite correct.


Anyway, about encryption being different from one version to the next means that a Trados user that does not upgrade is unable to open a trados TM directly, but need to ask the customer for an export, which also sometimes lead to problems as (correct me if I am mistaken) I think language codes are not exactly the same in all Trados versions. Either way, the translator using a past version of Trados, be it only 6 months old, can't open his software's standard TM format. That's downright ridiculous.

Only if the TM was re-created using T6 - all you need to do to share a TM among users with T5/5.5 and T6 is keep the TM in T5 format (which T6 can use, of course).

The real reason behind it is to prevent full compatibility with past versions or worse to them, other CATs. The TM is the property of the translator or of the agency/customer depending the contract, not that of Trados. It follows that by encrypting TMs (with no options to leave them uncrypted), Trados is unduly regulating the use of files it has no rights to. I find this downright dodgy.

Sorry, but I don't follow your argument at all - Trados does not have access to any TM data, so why would they want to encrypt something? There is a very legitimate reason for encryption: given that web access to TMs is imminent, you need to ensure that only those you want to have access get to the data, applying proper controls. Access levels are controlled by whoever holds the admin role for the TM concerned - and that is never Trados.

Protecting TMs from hackers? That's a joke, right?

I wish it were a joke - it most certainly is not.

Beside, all a hacker would have to do to read the content of the TM would be to get the said version of Trados (the demo would do)

Wrong again - someone trying to access TM data he/she has no authorisation for would need to crack the password protection of the TM.

Offering an encryption feature to allow customers to protect their documents (not just the TM - How dumb is it to encrypt the TM and leave the segmented document is regular Word format?) at will would be all right, I guess, but that's definitely not what Trados is doing.

...simply because that's not their domain - besides, there are other tools for that purpose, such as PGP. Protecting the TM is vital in order to use TMs across the web, or to grant access to TM data in a controlled fashion.

Best regards, Ralf


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:47
English to Polish
I can understand the need for encrypting TMs Oct 30, 2003

sylver wrote:
Hackers have nothing to do with it either. We are talking about encryption of TMs (end user documents) and not of the code (which would be fully legitimate). Protecting TMs from hackers? That\'s a joke, right? Beside, all a hacker would have to do to read the content of the TM would be to get the said version of Trados (the demo would do)


You would be surprised how quickly the password protection from v3 TMs can be removed...

Wojtek Froelich
localization engineer


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados for Excel in demo mode only

Advanced search







SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums