https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/15439-trados_50%3A_cant_clean_up_ole_com_or_file_name_error.html

TRADOS 5.0: Can't clean up! (OLE/COM or file name error)
Thread poster: Ann Louise Rodríguez
Ann Louise Rodríguez
Ann Louise Rodríguez
Denmark
Local time: 15:54
English to Danish
+ ...
Oct 31, 2003

Good evening

I'm trying to clean up a document, but I receive this message:

"Word could not convert the document due to an OLE/COM or file name error.File skipped!"

I'm using Trados 5.0 Freelance, and it sure would be nice with a piece of advice

Saludos from Madrid,

Ann Louise

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
Try using the word macro Oct 31, 2003

First, I'd try repairing your trados document in Word. Use the repair option under the trados menu.

If you still can't clean up after repairing your document, try using the clean macro. Under tools, macros, macros, TemplateProject.tw4winClean.Main.

This will clean your word doc, but it won't add any changes you may have made to your TM.

HTH

Alison

Daniel Meier
Daniel Meier  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Clean up using macro or manual cleanup Oct 31, 2003

I had a similar problem, but it´s more than a year ago and I remember only, that the answer from Trados support was to manually cleanup my document.

They have also a macro for cleanup, the steps for using this macro are described in this article
support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=555

When you want to manually cleanup your document, you can use the search/replace function. It is safer, to run macro or manual cleanup on a copy of your document, in case someth
... See more
I had a similar problem, but it´s more than a year ago and I remember only, that the answer from Trados support was to manually cleanup my document.

They have also a macro for cleanup, the steps for using this macro are described in this article
support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=555

When you want to manually cleanup your document, you can use the search/replace function. It is safer, to run macro or manual cleanup on a copy of your document, in case something goes wrong.

1. Disable tag protection (menu Trados/Tag protection)
2. Search Format/Font/Effects
Disable all Effects (Strikethrough etc.) and enable only the last one. I have German Word, in German it is "Ausgeblendet". Then click OK.
Be sure to not place any text in your search/replace boxes.
Then Replace All. All your source text should vanish.
3. In your search dialog remove formatting. And then search for Format/Styles/tw4winMark. Replace All. This removes the segment delimiters.

Now you should have a cleaned up document.
HTH
Daniel

[Edited at 2003-10-31 18:49]
Collapse

Ann Louise Rodríguez
Ann Louise Rodríguez
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It didn't work... Oct 31, 2003

So I did it manually.... 8.000 words, I hope it'll never happen again.

Thanks a lot for your help, though I hope I wont get in this situation again

Saludos,

Ann Louise

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Many possibilities to solve the problem Oct 31, 2003

Hello,

there are some more possibilities to solve the problem.

At first you can change the filename. Often it will help. (Sometimes after a reboot of the pc)

Then you can use the Macro (tw4winclean) in WinWord (You will find it in the Menu: Extras-->Macro-->Macros. If the macro doesn't work, or if you don't find the macro, there is a problem with the dot files for WinWord. You can find the correct dot files in the trados programm folder and copy them into t
... See more
Hello,

there are some more possibilities to solve the problem.

At first you can change the filename. Often it will help. (Sometimes after a reboot of the pc)

Then you can use the Macro (tw4winclean) in WinWord (You will find it in the Menu: Extras-->Macro-->Macros. If the macro doesn't work, or if you don't find the macro, there is a problem with the dot files for WinWord. You can find the correct dot files in the trados programm folder and copy them into the winword startup folder. Delete the old files from trados there.

And if nothing helps, you can remove the source text by search and replace.

Hans
Collapse

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:54
English to French
Manually??? Nov 1, 2003

Ann Louise Rodríguez wrote:

So I did it manually.... 8.000 words, I hope it'll never happen again.

Thanks a lot for your help, though I hope I wont get in this situation again

Saludos,

Ann Louise

Holy little jesus! Just in case you get that again, here is a Search and Replace you can use to clean a resistive file:
0. Make a copy of the segmented file.
1. Ctrl+H
2. Click on the "more" button and activate wildcards.
3. Enter the following in the "Find What" box:
\{0\>(*)\(*)\

Marijke Mayer
Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
moved or deleted your log file?? Nov 2, 2003

This is one of the many big pains of Trados.

There is a good possibility that you simply moved or deleted the log file that you had forgotten you created after Trados may have prompted you to create one the first time you cleaned up a file. After the first time, it won't prompt you anymore to created one, and therefore you forget that the whole cleanup operation stops once you move or delete the log file. Trados then gives you this unintelligible line you quoted that doesn't mean a
... See more
This is one of the many big pains of Trados.

There is a good possibility that you simply moved or deleted the log file that you had forgotten you created after Trados may have prompted you to create one the first time you cleaned up a file. After the first time, it won't prompt you anymore to created one, and therefore you forget that the whole cleanup operation stops once you move or delete the log file. Trados then gives you this unintelligible line you quoted that doesn't mean anything to anybody!

My log file is called: Patent.log. I once named it after a patent job I did, but now I still use if for all the cleanup jobs. If you're a tidy housekeeper, you are aprobably tempted to clean up old job names. However, you can's as this log file shows the results of the cleanup, which is either quite useless, or quite useful, depending on your personal view, but in my eyes it makes it needlessly complicated. It would be good to recreate a log file for each job, that way you won't forget.

In addition to doing a search and replace, another solution for cleaning off the codes is actually very simple: You can dunk the entire copied text in a Word pad file. All the codes and hidden sources texts will disappear, wash off as it were. You can then copy the entire target text back to your Word file. The big disadvantage is that you will have to recreate the formatting as your text is now in rtf format.

Good luck and feel free write to mail me if you encounter problems with beastly Trados.

Marijke

[Edited at 2003-11-02 10:21]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
These functions are there for a purpose... Nov 2, 2003

Hi Marijke,

There is a good possibility that you simply moved or deleted the log file that you had forgotten you created after Trados may have prompted you to create one the first time you cleaned up a file. After the first time, it won't prompt you anymore to created one, and therefore you forget that the whole cleanup operation stops once you move or delete the log file. Trados then gives you this unintelligible line you quoted that doesn't mean anything to anybody!

I beg to differ - the message quite clearly indicates a conversion problem in Word.

My log file is called: Patent.log. I once named it after a patent job I did, but now I still use if for all the cleanup jobs. If you're a tidy housekeeper, you are aprobably tempted to clean up old job names. However, you can's as this log file shows the results of the cleanup, which is either quite useless, or quite useful, depending on your personal view, but in my eyes it makes it needlessly complicated. It would be good to recreate a log file for each job, that way you won't forget.

I disagree on several issues:
- You can easily change the log file simply by creating a new one.
- Having a separate log file for each job would create an unnecessarily high number of very small files. That's why the default is a separate log file for each TM - personally, I prefer to use one log for all TMs, but to start a new one each month.
- The log data (which contains analyses as well as cleanup logs) is essential, since it gives you quantitative information as well as logging any errors which may have occurred during cleanup (usually the result of subsequent manual changes to the file).

In addition to doing a search and replace, another solution for cleaning off the codes is actually very simple: You can dunk the entire copied text in a Word pad file. All the codes and hidden sources texts will disappear, wash off as it were. You can then copy the entire target text back to your Word file. The big disadvantage is that you will have to recreate the formatting as your text is now in rtf format.

More than that: doing it this way is also very likely to kill embedded templates and Word styles. But I don't see why you would want to use WordPad when you can get an emergency cleanup by using the macro...?

Best regards, Ralf

Good luck and feel free write to mail me if you encounter problems with beastly Trados.

Marijke

[Edited at 2003-11-02 10:21][/quote]

Claudia Anda-Maria Halas
Claudia Anda-Maria Halas
Romania
Local time: 16:54
French to Romanian
+ ...
can't clean up Nov 1, 2010

I am using Trados 2007/Synergy and Word 2007. I have translated the file in Tag Editor and saved it in Word. I can't clean it up now and there are lots of unclean files.

...........The cause might be that I am using a demo version of Trados ................

thanks

[Modifié le 2010-11-01 22:52 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS 5.0: Can't clean up! (OLE/COM or file name error)

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »