Moving the location of projects in Trados Studio 2009 Freelance
Thread poster: Russell Keeley
Russell Keeley
Russell Keeley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:05
Jan 11, 2010

Hello,

I use SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance SP1 - 9.1.1107.0 with Windows XP64 Professional and I'm in the middle of trying to tidy up my computer and organise everything in a more logical way by keeping anything to do with work on a separate partition.

My problem is that after moving a Trados project to a new location on this partition, with all the subfolders and everything else that in my mind could be possibly be related, Trados gives me the error "The selected p
... See more
Hello,

I use SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance SP1 - 9.1.1107.0 with Windows XP64 Professional and I'm in the middle of trying to tidy up my computer and organise everything in a more logical way by keeping anything to do with work on a separate partition.

My problem is that after moving a Trados project to a new location on this partition, with all the subfolders and everything else that in my mind could be possibly be related, Trados gives me the error "The selected project could not be opened" when I try to open it using File->Open->Project.

I guess one way to move a project would be by packaging it and then opening it in the new location, but as a mere Freelance licensee I'm unable to do that. So once a project has been created in Trados 2009 Freelance is its location set it stone?

Apologies if this question has already been answered in this forum - I did do a search before writing this and, although this has been mentioned by others in the past, I couldn't find any solutions out there.

Thank you!

Russell
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:05
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I'm afraid there is no easy solution for this Jan 11, 2010

In order to be able to move projects between my computers I keep exactly the same folder structure on my PCs. Even the login names are the same.
Because projects do save the absolute paths for files, I'm afraid you can move then only if those paths will remain the same.
You could of course open the project file in any texteditor and try to modify the paths there - this could help, but I can't imagine doing this for more than a
... See more
In order to be able to move projects between my computers I keep exactly the same folder structure on my PCs. Even the login names are the same.
Because projects do save the absolute paths for files, I'm afraid you can move then only if those paths will remain the same.
You could of course open the project file in any texteditor and try to modify the paths there - this could help, but I can't imagine doing this for more than a few projects.

But if your folder structure remains the same, it is enough to double click the project file to get it "imported" in Studio. In fact when the project file is opened, the project becomes simply available in Studio.
Collapse

Russell Keeley
Russell Keeley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
I've figured it out! Jan 11, 2010

Thanks for the swift reply Jerzy.

I took your advice and opened up project file in texteditor, but the only absolute paths I could find were for the TMs, and so far I hadn't got around to moving these. This led me to think that there must be some kind of internal registry of projects in Trados, so after messing around a bit on the projects screen I found that the 'Remove From List' option seems to permanently remove projects from this registry.

So basically, in order to
... See more
Thanks for the swift reply Jerzy.

I took your advice and opened up project file in texteditor, but the only absolute paths I could find were for the TMs, and so far I hadn't got around to moving these. This led me to think that there must be some kind of internal registry of projects in Trados, so after messing around a bit on the projects screen I found that the 'Remove From List' option seems to permanently remove projects from this registry.

So basically, in order to move a project in Trados Studio 2009 Freelance you must first remove it from the projects list by choosing 'Remove From List' and only then copy all the projects files and subfolders to the new location. You can then open it using File->Open->Project and it will appear in the projects screen once again under the new location. If you copy the project files before removing it from the list, it disappears from the list but presumably not from the internal registry, which is why it gives an error if you try and open it again somewhere else.

This seems to have worked for me so far, although I'm just waiting for something else to go wrong now
Collapse

Remigiusz Drewniak KONTYNENT
Remigiusz Drewniak KONTYNENT  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
Spanish to Polish
+ ...
if you don't know the path Jun 22, 2010

if you don't know the path and can't open project, please do the following:

New > project > indicate the location of the project in "Create a project based on the previois project" window

The response will be "Project not found and will be removed from list" (that's what we want and we are unable to do, because it isn't on the list!)

Now Cancel create window, do "Open > Project" and indicate the project, it opens.

Regards,
RD

Maria Rodriguez Palma
Maria Rodriguez Palma
Austria
Member (2009)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you RD Sep 8, 2010

I had this problem tonight. Went into panic. Googled it. Found this answer. Thank you very much RD. You are my TRADOS guru!

[Edited at 2010-09-08 19:08 GMT]

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
Thank you so much! Feb 18, 2011

Remigiusz Drewniak KONTYNENT wrote:

if you don't know the path and can't open project, please do the following:

New > project > indicate the location of the project in "Create a project based on the previois project" window

The response will be "Project not found and will be removed from list" (that's what we want and we are unable to do, because it isn't on the list!)

Now Cancel create window, do "Open > Project" and indicate the project, it opens.

Regards,
RD

I was already thinking I lost all my work and I would need to re-translate files based on my TM's, which would not be very difficult I suppose, but still.... This is a tricky solution

Huw Watkins
Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Creating projects in a separate location Jan 22, 2013

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the thread. Following up on resolving the problem of opening projects that have been moved, has anyone had any luck with CREATING projects in a separate location with Studio 2009?

I would very much like to know how to change the default path in Studio 2009. The reason for this is that I sync all my work stuff between my PC and laptop with Windows Live Mesh; both have Windows 7 installed. I then use a freelancer plus licence and have an installation
... See more
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the thread. Following up on resolving the problem of opening projects that have been moved, has anyone had any luck with CREATING projects in a separate location with Studio 2009?

I would very much like to know how to change the default path in Studio 2009. The reason for this is that I sync all my work stuff between my PC and laptop with Windows Live Mesh; both have Windows 7 installed. I then use a freelancer plus licence and have an installation of Studio 2009 on both. In order to be able to change between computers even mid-project, I named both computers with the same user name and so when opening Studio on either computer it reads the path and allows me to continue working (very useful for working while away from the office).

Live mesh allows me to sync all projects files, TMs, Termbases etc (wherever they are located on a computer) between both computers over the internet as and when a file is changed and is truly a very useful and great program. In typical fashion, Microsoft have decided this is obviously a far too decent and user-friendly feature for us mere mortals and are now discontinuing this great program, which will be sadly missed.

It is being replaced by SkyDrive, which also nice, but has one major drawback - everything has to go through a single SkyDrive folder on the C drive. I therefore need to change the default location of Studio's projects from

C:\Users\[MY NAME]\Documents\SDL Trados Studio\Projects (\Translation Memories etc. etc.)

to

C:\Users\[MY NAME]\SkyDrive\Documents\SDL Trados Studio\Projects (\Translation Memories etc. etc.)

Any ideas how to do this?
Collapse

Huw Watkins
Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Solved! Jan 22, 2013

There was a very simple solution to this in the UI of Studio in the Project Details screen of the New Project wizard where I am able to change the default location of the project. Sorry for jumping in on this thread needlessly. Happy translating.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moving the location of projects in Trados Studio 2009 Freelance

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »