Thread poster: Lidia Morejudo
Lidia Morejudo
Lidia Morejudo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 28, 2010

I have done a translation in Trados 2009 but the client only has 2007. Is there a way to make this file compatible for 2007, or do I have to redo the translation in 2007?

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:33
English to Turkish
+ ...
One more question Jan 28, 2010

Hi Lidia,

If the file is a Word document, then you should ask one more question to your client. Do they want a bilingual (uncleaned) file or a tageditor ttx file?

Trados 2009 is a smart tool and it is not compatible with Trados 2007 This is marketing!
The only solution in your case is to translate the file again in Trados 2007.

Export your 2009 TM in TMX format
Import it in 2007 T
... See more
Hi Lidia,

If the file is a Word document, then you should ask one more question to your client. Do they want a bilingual (uncleaned) file or a tageditor ttx file?

Trados 2009 is a smart tool and it is not compatible with Trados 2007 This is marketing!
The only solution in your case is to translate the file again in Trados 2007.

Export your 2009 TM in TMX format
Import it in 2007 TM
And pretranslate the file using the TM

BR,

Selcuk
Collapse

Lidia Morejudo
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bilingual file Jan 28, 2010

Hello,
Yes, unfortunately they want the bilingual file! Fortunately it's not a long one. But I have just been working with Trados 2009, so I envisage a long evening installing 2007, and transfering the translation.

It's really annoying with Trados, isn't it? It should be easier to make files compatible...

Thanks for your advice!

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 15:33
English to Czech
+ ...
Bilingual file Jan 28, 2010

Hello Lidia,
I suggest that you proceed as Selcuk said. However, if your client does not require bilingual DOC files explicitly, you can use the DOC > TTX > Studio > TTX workflow. Studio is fully TTX compatible.

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
No re-translating needed Jan 28, 2010

Hi all,

I have just answered this same question in another (later) thread. Please see my answer there:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/156443-how_can_i_get_unclean_files_from_a_finished_trados_st_2009_project.html

Astrid

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Three Tools Jan 28, 2010

Hi Astrid,

Tags and possibly segmentation rules are different in Trados Word Macro, TagEditor and Studio 2009. As a result, you will not get hundred percent matches. Just test it with a Word file and you will see the differences.

Many agencies still ask for bilingual files, not ttx or sdlxliff files. AFAIK, Studio is the only CAT tool which can not translate Trados bilingual files.

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
My experience with agencies Jan 28, 2010

Hi Selcuk,

My experience with agencies is that they accept .tmx exports, which they can import into Workbench. No agency (out of a lot of different ones) has yet refused to accept a .tmx export from me.

Astrid

Kathleen Misson
Kathleen Misson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
DOC > TTX > Studio > TTX workflow Jan 28, 2010

What do you mean by

DOC > TTX > Studio > TTX workflow

Where is this?

Thank you!

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Hello Lidia,
I suggest that you proceed as Selcuk said. However, if your client does not require bilingual DOC files explicitly, you can use the DOC > TTX > Studio > TTX workflow. Studio is fully TTX compatible.

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
workflow Jan 29, 2010

DOC > TTX > Studio > TTX workflow will not help if you need a bilingual (uncleaned) rtf or doc file.

Open the relevant Trados 2007 Translation Memory, open the Word file in TagEditor, and then Save Bilingual As... a TTX file

Translate the TTX file in Studio, and when the translation is finished Save Target As ... TTX

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:33
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
DOC - TTX - STUDIO - TTX Jan 29, 2010

Kathleen,

What this means is:

1. Go to TagEditor, open your Word doc file there. This will create a TTX (that's the DOC - TTX part). Save this TTX.
2. Now go to Studio, open the TTX you created in Step 1 in Studio Editor
3. Translate the file.
4. When you're done, save the end result as TTX.

Your end result will be a bilingual TTX file that you can open in TagEditor. Some clients are happy enough with this, others can't be persuaded and t
... See more
Kathleen,

What this means is:

1. Go to TagEditor, open your Word doc file there. This will create a TTX (that's the DOC - TTX part). Save this TTX.
2. Now go to Studio, open the TTX you created in Step 1 in Studio Editor
3. Translate the file.
4. When you're done, save the end result as TTX.

Your end result will be a bilingual TTX file that you can open in TagEditor. Some clients are happy enough with this, others can't be persuaded and they really want their unclean Word documents.

I've found that the easiest workaround for this if you've translated the file in Studio is to simply use WinAlign to create a new txt file that can be imported into Workbench. TMX files exported from Studio don't always show everything you've translated when imported into Workbench.
Collapse

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
Educating agencies Jan 29, 2010

I just answered this question in another thread too. Most agencies seem to be stuck on the Word - Workbench workflow and haven't even moved on to TagEditor yet. I guess because they haven't used TagEditor for Word docs - only for other docs. And they are delivering TM exports as TXT files - some have no idea what TMX is. So we are the ones that are ahead of them. I feel like taking on the role of trainer to explain to them they are way behind the times.

I have one agency that is sup
... See more
I just answered this question in another thread too. Most agencies seem to be stuck on the Word - Workbench workflow and haven't even moved on to TagEditor yet. I guess because they haven't used TagEditor for Word docs - only for other docs. And they are delivering TM exports as TXT files - some have no idea what TMX is. So we are the ones that are ahead of them. I feel like taking on the role of trainer to explain to them they are way behind the times.

I have one agency that is supposed to let the translator use any CAT tool they like and deliver the target file and TMX. Great! Until this week when they insisted I deliver a TTX as well so I had to go back and created TTXs from scratch.

So come on people! Word + Workbench is dead, TagEditor has a fatal disease and Studio is where it's at!
Gillian
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Not always the case Jan 29, 2010

Gillian Searl wrote:
So come on people! Word + Workbench is dead, TagEditor has a fatal disease and Studio is where it's at!
Gillian

My clients seem to be pretty educated already... They are using bilingual format because they are generating the files themselves (rtf) from proprietary formats with tools they created/had made. For them ttx would be rather useless...

That is why it is essential to discuss the delivery format before accepting the job.

Lidia Morejudo
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 29, 2010

Thanks for all your help. As the text wasn't very big, in the end I opted for the easiest most straightforward way... installing 2007, learn the basics as quickly as I could and copied the translation over. The client wanted an unclean file that they could open in their 2007 version.

Another question, somebody suggested to transfer over the TM from 2009. However, when I looked into mine it looked empty... I am obviously doing something really wrong. In the help file it says that the
... See more
Thanks for all your help. As the text wasn't very big, in the end I opted for the easiest most straightforward way... installing 2007, learn the basics as quickly as I could and copied the translation over. The client wanted an unclean file that they could open in their 2007 version.

Another question, somebody suggested to transfer over the TM from 2009. However, when I looked into mine it looked empty... I am obviously doing something really wrong. In the help file it says that the TM should update automatically. However it doesn't seem to be happening for me...

How do you all use the project feature? A friend of mine, who started with the 2006 version, doesn't use this feature and still uses Trados in the old way. I was wondering if any of you use the project feature or is it just something that is left to agencies and project managers?

I agree that 2009 is the way forward, but unfortunately it seems that at the moment the most straightforward thing to do is working with 2007. I suspect most agencies and still most translators feel more confortable with these...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transferring from Trados 2009 to 2007

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »