SDL Trados 2009: align two documents
Thread poster: mwalser (X)
mwalser (X)
mwalser (X)
Switzerland
Local time: 01:52
Feb 20, 2010

I work with SDL Trados 2009 and have the following problem:

How can I insert to the source document (on the left side of the SDL editor) an existing target document (on the right side of the editor), so that I can align these two documents?

Many thanks for any help!
Marcel

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
WinAlign Feb 20, 2010

It doesn't work like that.
The editor is for opening and translating an untranslated source document.

If you have one file (a Word Doc) that is in the source language and another file that is the translation, then go to WinAlign to align them ("align translated documents" tab on the Studio home page). The application will open up an offer you a wizard to help you through.

Then you can export it as tmx (if I remember correctly) and import that into a Studio TM.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
A little confusing Feb 20, 2010

Hi Marcel,

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying, and Emmas advice sounds good.

But if you have already got the left hand side of the editor and the right hand side of the editor populated, and what you want is a TM just for this source and target, then you could either add a new empty TM to your Project and update it with the Batch tasks, or save the sdlxliff (this is the bilingual document you are looking at in the Editor) and then import it into a new TM.
... See more
Hi Marcel,

But if you have already got the left hand side of the editor and the right hand side of the editor populated, and what you want is a TM just for this source and target, then you could either add a new empty TM to your Project and update it with the Batch tasks, or save the sdlxliff (this is the bilingual document you are looking at in the Editor) and then import it into a new TM.

Between this and Emma I hope your question is answered?

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2010-02-20 23:53 GMT]
Collapse

mwalser (X)
mwalser (X)
Switzerland
TOPIC STARTER
Your advice to align Feb 21, 2010

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

It doesn't work like that.
The editor is for opening and translating an untranslated source document.

If you have one file (a Word Doc) that is in the source language and another file that is the translation, then go to WinAlign to align them ("align translated documents" tab on the Studio home page). The application will open up an offer you a wizard to help you through.

Then you can export it as tmx (if I remember correctly) and import that into a Studio TM.

Hi Emma,

Many thanks for your support, it seems that your advice would help me to solve my problem. But just in this time, where I clicked on the icon align translated documents this error message appeared:

-
Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.
-
System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

Sdl.TranslationStudio.TranslationMemoryManager
-

So, what can I do now? Do you have also a solution for this problem or do you know who can help me by this technical problem?

Regards
Marcel

mwalser (X)
mwalser (X)
Switzerland
TOPIC STARTER
Emmas advice and your support Feb 21, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Marcel,

Between this and Emma I hope your question is answered?

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2010-02-20 23:53 GMT]

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for your support. Your solution is also very useful for me. It seems that Emmas advice would help me to solve the problem. But just in this time, where I clicked on the icon align translated documents this error message appeared:

-
Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.
-
System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

Sdl.TranslationStudio.TranslationMemoryManager
-

So, what can I do now? Do you have also a solution for this problem or do you know who can help me by this technical problem?

Regards
Marcel

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Have you installed trados 2007? Feb 21, 2010

I haven't got a clue what the error message means, unless by any chance it is telling you that you haven't installed Trados Suite 2007 - because the WinAlign application forms part of Suite.
If your Suite 2007 is running OK, then I really don't know what to suggest.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2009: align two documents

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »