SDL Studio: Word file allegedly contains tracked changes, will not import
Thread poster: Michael Schubert
Michael Schubert
Michael Schubert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:36
German to English
Mar 2, 2010

I am unable to import a Microsoft Word file (*.DOC) into SDL Trados Studio 2009 (9.1.1107.0, SP3). The error message:
"This Microsoft Word document cannot be opened because it contains tracked changes that have not yet been accepted or rejected."
This is not true, of course. I tried saving the file as RTF, to no avail. When I saved it as DOCX, the error message changed to:
"Unable to cast object of type 'Office12.Word.DataContainer.Physical.Formatting.CTblStyle' to type 'Office
... See more
I am unable to import a Microsoft Word file (*.DOC) into SDL Trados Studio 2009 (9.1.1107.0, SP3). The error message:
"This Microsoft Word document cannot be opened because it contains tracked changes that have not yet been accepted or rejected."
This is not true, of course. I tried saving the file as RTF, to no avail. When I saved it as DOCX, the error message changed to:
"Unable to cast object of type 'Office12.Word.DataContainer.Physical.Formatting.CTblStyle' to type 'Office12.Word.DataContainer.Physical.Formatting.CStyle'."
Which means nothing to me. Can anyone help? This is a recurring problem I have with Word documents from a particular client, but I cannot find any unusual document attribute that would cause this.

[Edited at 2010-03-02 03:31 GMT]
Collapse

PMz
PMz
Look in KB Mar 2, 2010

Michael Schubert wrote:

"Unable to cast object of type 'Office12.Word.DataContainer.Physical.Formatting.CTblStyle' to type 'Office12.Word.DataContainer.Physical.Formatting.CStyle'."
Which means nothing to me. Can anyone help? This is a recurring problem I have with Word documents from a particular client, but I cannot find any unusual document attribute that would cause this.

[Edited at 2010-03-02 03:31 GMT]

HI,
the problem was described here on this forum several times. The problem is in the MS Word - the track changes flag is not properly removed. As for solution look into www.kb.sdl.com and search for KB #2828 - Microsoft Word 2000-2003 (*.doc) document cannot be opened in Studio because of Track Changes feature

Regards

Michael Schubert
Michael Schubert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:36
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Link to solution Mar 2, 2010

Thank you, PMz. For the benefit of others, here is the link to the solution:
http://kb.sdl.com/display/2n/articleDirect/index.aspx?aid=2828&r=0.643564

And here is the link to the full discussion on this forum of the problem in both Workbench and S
... See more
Thank you, PMz. For the benefit of others, here is the link to the solution:
http://kb.sdl.com/display/2n/articleDirect/index.aspx?aid=2828&r=0.643564

And here is the link to the full discussion on this forum of the problem in both Workbench and Studio:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/131062-cant_deactivate_track_changes_when_using_trados.html
Collapse

Bernhard Hoell
Bernhard Hoell
Local time: 00:36
Working link Mar 3, 2010

Hi,

please notice that the link you see when visiting a KB article is a dynamic link.
If you want to post it, please click on the Bookmark Article button and copy the link from there. In this case the functional link to KB Article 2828 is http://kb.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2828&p=1

Goetz und Weise
Goetz und Weise
Germany
Same problem Jul 15, 2010

Hi all,

Just found this discussion because I got the very same problem as Michael.

Studio 2009 just would not open the document. Got the doc with track changes on and tracked changes.

I've accepted them all, the tool is deactivated.

Now, I always get the same error message as Michael "The Microsoft Word documenten cannot be openened because it contains tracked changes that have not yet been accepted or rejected".

I got the author o
... See more
Hi all,

Just found this discussion because I got the very same problem as Michael.

Studio 2009 just would not open the document. Got the doc with track changes on and tracked changes.

I've accepted them all, the tool is deactivated.

Now, I always get the same error message as Michael "The Microsoft Word documenten cannot be openened because it contains tracked changes that have not yet been accepted or rejected".

I got the author of the document to accept all changes, deactivate the track changes function and send me the document again.
Still the same.
Even saving the doc as rtf does not change a thing.

The links in this thread are not helpful (none of them), as all I see is
"You have reached a knowledge base portal.
bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000" link="#000000" vlink="#000000">[[contentbodyloopbegin]]
[[contentbody]]

[[contentbodyloopend]]"

Could you give me a quick solution for, I don't know, change filter settings or whatever helpful.

Thanks for your help.
Regards,

Christina

Just got help from Paul from SDL support :

This problem is normally the result of Word not really clearing all the changes out, even though it says they are, and you can often see this is you do to docx first and then accept all the changes. Word 2007 is much better at this than Word 2003 as long as you use the docx format. So a good fix is to save as docx, accept all the changes and then either save back as a doc or just translate the docx. I think the docx filter is also superior so I would favour this approach. I am assuming of course that you are happy that you have the right version in the first place given there are changes still in the document

There is a good KB article in our Knowledgebase on this – http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=3253&p=1

There is another way of course in Studio. You can select to ignore the track changes altogether. If you go to Tools – Options – FileTypes – Microsoft Word (any version) – Other Settings and then you can turn off the check for tracked changes.

Normally I wouldn’t recommend this one as the check is there for a reason, but it’s a useful option to avoid problems with batch processing when you have a lot of files and someone just forgot to clear the changes, or they were cleared but remained under the surface (as per the KB article).

[Edited at 2010-07-15 08:56 GMT]
Collapse

clairewad
clairewad
France
French to English
+ ...
Thank you Goetz und Weise Dec 1, 2011

Wow, thank you thank you after trying EVERYTHING under the sun I could find as a solution this is the only thing that works. I am absolutely thrilled thank you!
I will remember to uncheck this option for my other documents which don't cause issue, thanks again!

waleed marzouk
waleed marzouk  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 01:36
English to Arabic
+ ...
The easiest solution Aug 23, 2017

Here you are
https://goo.gl/sX2jFH

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Studio: Word file allegedly contains tracked changes, will not import

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »