Thread poster: Helen Farrell
Helen Farrell
Helen Farrell  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:08
Italian to English
+ ...
Apr 8, 2010

A client has provided me with a TM in .txt format, which I need to import into Trados Studio 2009. Could anyone explain to me the best way to accomplish this?

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:08
German to English
+ ...
Workaround Apr 8, 2010

I've tried importing TXT files into Studio directly and, although it claims to work, it ends up importing 0 units.

What I end up doing is importing the TXT file into a new TM in Trados 2007 and then exporting it from there in TMX format, which can then be imported into Studio. It's clunky, and I'd be more than happy for someone to suggest a better solution, but it does, at least, work!

Helen Farrell
Helen Farrell  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 9, 2010

Thank you, Mary. That's really helpful.

Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 17:08
English to Portuguese
Trados 2007 is still the "interface" for some clients... Apr 9, 2010

Hello

I do the same thing, creating new Trados memo, importing, exporting as TMX, importing to Studio.

Unfortunately my clients still demand Word bilinguals and exchange legacy memory exported segments, and for the time being I have to keep Trados 2007 as the "input/output" processor.

Nevertheless, in a fast machine, that is just another quick step, highly compensated by the time I save using Studio...

Edric

[Edited at 2010-04-09 12:44
... See more
Hello

I do the same thing, creating new Trados memo, importing, exporting as TMX, importing to Studio.

Unfortunately my clients still demand Word bilinguals and exchange legacy memory exported segments, and for the time being I have to keep Trados 2007 as the "input/output" processor.

Nevertheless, in a fast machine, that is just another quick step, highly compensated by the time I save using Studio...

Edric

[Edited at 2010-04-09 12:44 GMT]
Collapse

Nienke Jenkins
Nienke Jenkins
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:08
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thank you! Aug 17, 2010

You've saved me hours and hours of trying to figure it out! Merci!

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Studio does not support TXT exchange format anymore Aug 18, 2010

I've tried importing TXT files into Studio directly and, although it claims to work, it ends up importing 0 units.

This not meant to work, Studio can only import files in TMX format!

What I end up doing is importing the TXT file into a new TM in Trados 2007 and then exporting it from there in TMX format, which can then be imported into Studio. It's clunky, and I'd be more than happy for someone to suggest a better solution, but it does, at least, work!

The "better" solution is to use a import file in TMX format because that is the only TM exchange format supported in Studio. The TXT format has been dropped in favour of an industry-standard format because it is Trados proprietary. The procedure is not 'clunky' at all if people do the right thing, which means exporting from Workbench in TMX format right away (Workbench gives you the choice between TXT and TMX).
Tell your partners in the translation chain that they have to give you TMX exports instead of TXT and everything will work smoothly.

Walter

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
It is obviously inconvenient Sep 30, 2010

I would just like to add my voice to those who would find it more helpful if txt files could be imported directly into Studio.

Helle B
Helle B
Danish to English
+ ...
Upgrade Translation Memories Oct 20, 2010

I simply use the 'Upgrade Translation Memories' under the 'Home' menu in SDL Trados Studio 2009 to update old TMs (e.g. in .txt format) and then import the file - it works beautifully.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Upgrade route Oct 20, 2010

Hi,

Just to add to what Helle said. If you select the SDLTM you wanted to import to and also the TXT TM then the upgrade will merge them together if you wish. There are a few options around this but merging is one of them.

Regards

Paul

Stefan Trappen
Stefan Trappen  Identity Verified
Germany
Romanian to German
+ ...
dunky: Trados 2007 is needed Nov 29, 2011

I was unsuccessful, too. Error message: Trados 2007 not installed.

Simply: Trados is NO GOOD SOFTWARE. Costly, inefficient, frustrating.

Laurent Chevrette (X)
Laurent Chevrette (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
Agree and thank you Dec 24, 2011

Thanks for the 2007 to TMX and then back to Studio 2009, took me a few seconds. Worked like a charm, thank you soooo much!

Merry Xmas!

sachima
sachima
Local time: 04:08
Thank you! Problem solved. Jan 16, 2013

I tried desperately (LF aligner, olifant, etc.) before reading this post, thinking might be able to solve the problem without installing 2007. Now I understand why everyone calls it the "old good 2007". Winalign works!

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
All you had to do... Jan 16, 2013

... was Tools -> Upgrade Translation Memories then select your TXT and Studio would have upgraded it to an SDLTM for you.

Regards

Paul

igosoutsourcing
igosoutsourcing
India
Local time: 01:38
English to German
Error message 'No valid signature found' Nov 13, 2016

Hi. I tried the upgrade option, but I keep getting the error message: 'Invalid file format - No valid signature found'. Any suggestions?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing .txt TM into Trados Studio 2009

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »