https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/16381-problem_opening_segments_with_trados_65.html

Problem opening segments with Trados 6.5
Thread poster: IanW (X)
IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Local time: 09:40
German to English
+ ...
Dec 4, 2003

Dear all,

I have just installed Trados 6.5 Freelance, having upgraded from Freelance 5.5, and I have been experiencing a very irritating problem.

When I start working with Trados and try to open a segment, instead of the usual source and target text bars appearing, all I get is a series of symbols "--{}--" inserted in the segment. When I close Trados, reopen it and try again, everything is fine, but happens every time and is a very annoying problem.

Has an
... See more
Dear all,

I have just installed Trados 6.5 Freelance, having upgraded from Freelance 5.5, and I have been experiencing a very irritating problem.

When I start working with Trados and try to open a segment, instead of the usual source and target text bars appearing, all I get is a series of symbols "--{}--" inserted in the segment. When I close Trados, reopen it and try again, everything is fine, but happens every time and is a very annoying problem.

Has anyone else had this problem or any idea what might be causing it? I thought I'd ask here before spending the morning on the phone to the Trados "Helpline" ...

Thanks

Ian
Collapse

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
document specific Dec 4, 2003

Hello,

is the problem document specific. Have you tryed another document ?

Sometimes this problems comes with missing paragraph end marks (Absatzmarken).
Then you can solve this problem by insert and paragraph end mark after the problematic segment.

Hans

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Check terminology Dec 4, 2003

Hi Ian,
I don't have any experience yet regarding T6.5, but the "curly brackets" issue is usually related to a problem with term recognition (BTW are you using MTiX or MT 5.5?).

Try deactivating term recognition; if the problem disappears, I would suggest to (i) re-create the fuzzy index (assuming you're using MT5.5); failing that, to (ii) export your terms and re-create the termbase.

This has been discussed in a n
... See more
Hi Ian,
I don't have any experience yet regarding T6.5, but the "curly brackets" issue is usually related to a problem with term recognition (BTW are you using MTiX or MT 5.5?).

Try deactivating term recognition; if the problem disappears, I would suggest to (i) re-create the fuzzy index (assuming you're using MT5.5); failing that, to (ii) export your terms and re-create the termbase.

This has been discussed in a number of threads on TW_users, as well as on ProZ.com; search for curly brackets.

HTH, Ralf
Collapse

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Dec 4, 2003

Thanks guys,

Problem solved - I hadn't deinstalled the old version properly. I've reinstalled everything and now it's up and running again.

Thanks again,

Ian

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Trados 6.5 Freelance patch Dec 4, 2003

Don't forget to install the patch:
http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=1236

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem opening segments with Trados 6.5

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »