https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/17240-upgrading_from_win98_to_xp_can_i_still_use_fv_50_dongle.html

Upgrading from Win98 to XP - can I still use FV 5.0 dongle?
Thread poster: Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Jan 9, 2004

Hello,

I have been using Tradios Freelance Version 5.0 for some years now, with Windows 98.

As I would like to upgrade to XP, I was wondering if I could still use my USB dongle for FV 5.0, or if I need to make an upgrade to 6.5. By the way, the cost for upgrading from 5.0 (or 5.5) to 6.5 is EUR 245,00 - so any advice is very welcome.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards,
Erik

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:20
English to German
+ ...
Windows XP is not a problem - Office XP could well be Jan 9, 2004

Hi Erik,
As I would like to upgrade to XP,

If you're just talking about Windows XP, there shouldn't be a problem (you may need to install a new dongle driver, though).

Trados 5.0 did not yet fully (and officially) support Office XP (see this article from the Trados Knowledge Base).

HTH, Ralf

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Ralf! Jan 10, 2004

Thanks a lot for your help, Ralf!

The FAQ section on Trados told that I would possibly need a new driver, to be easily downloaded from the Trados' software supplier Rainbow, but still didn't mention if I could still use the FV 5.0 dongle with Windows XP.

Will keep you updated

Best regards,
Erik

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrading from Win98 to XP - can I still use FV 5.0 dongle?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »