https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/17244-cant_open_translate_xls_files_in_tageditor_65.html

Can't open/translate .xls files in TagEditor 6.5
Thread poster: CELC Inc
CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Local time: 07:47
Japanese to English
+ ...
Jan 10, 2004

Despite assurances to the contrary, I am unable to open and translate Excel (.xls) files in my newly purchased TagEditor 6.5.

I know there is supposed to be some way to do this, but I have scoured the help files and documentation fruitlessly. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:47
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Jan 10, 2004

...to Trados Support.

Can you please specify what happens? Note that Excel files (particularly larger ones) can take quite some time before they open in TE, due to the extensive tagging required.

I'm also puzzled by your reference to your "newly purchased TagEditor 6.5" - I take it you installed and registered the entire T6.5 solution, including all components?

I'm afraid it's impossible to suggest a remedy without a more specific description (includ
... See more
...to Trados Support.

Can you please specify what happens? Note that Excel files (particularly larger ones) can take quite some time before they open in TE, due to the extensive tagging required.

I'm also puzzled by your reference to your "newly purchased TagEditor 6.5" - I take it you installed and registered the entire T6.5 solution, including all components?

I'm afraid it's impossible to suggest a remedy without a more specific description (including the exact version of Trados (build no.), operating system and Office version).

Best regards, Ralf
Collapse

CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More specifics on TagEditor - Excel problem Jan 10, 2004

I have a licensed version of Trados FL 6.5, which of course includes TagEditor.
I am a new TagEditor user, and have previously only translated Excel (xls) in T-Windows (which I am told is no longer possible.)

Version info:
Win XP (Japanese)
Office 2000 (Japanese)
Trados 6.5 TagEditor 6.5.1.406 (Build 408)

My problem is this: Excel files are not an option in the "Open" dialogue (which lists ttx, html, various txt, etc.). And I am given a format o
... See more
I have a licensed version of Trados FL 6.5, which of course includes TagEditor.
I am a new TagEditor user, and have previously only translated Excel (xls) in T-Windows (which I am told is no longer possible.)

Version info:
Win XP (Japanese)
Office 2000 (Japanese)

My problem is this: Excel files are not an option in the "Open" dialogue (which lists ttx, html, various txt, etc.). And I am given a format or unable to locate something (that is cut off in the error screen so I don't know what it is) error.

I can only assuming that I am just missing something blindingly obvious and elementary...

[Edited at 2004-01-10 08:25]
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
T-Window for Excel / error message Jan 10, 2004

hopson wrote:

You still can use T-Window for Excel.

My problem is this: Excel files are not an option in the "Open" dialogue (which lists ttx, html, various txt, etc.). And I am given a format or unable to locate something (that is cut off in the error screen so I don't know what it is) error.

"Microsoft Excel documents" should be an option in the "Files of type:" listbox in the "Open" dialog box. You should write down the error message you are receiving. My guess is that there is something wrong with your Trados installation. If you are having several Trados versions installed, you should register the one you are using (Start - All Programs - Trados 6.5 Freelance - Register Trados 6.5 Freelance).

[Edited at 2004-01-10 10:06]

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Apply the cumulative patch for T6.5 Jan 10, 2004

Hi again,

As Hynek correctly pointed out, it's still possible to use the T-Windows for Excel and PowerPoint. But obviously, using TagEditor is the preferable alternative.

Version info:
Win XP (Japanese)
Office 2000 (Japanese)

Not strictly related to your problem here, but you should upgrade to build 410 using the cumulative patch issued in December (see this article from the Trados Knowledge Base for details).

Excel files are (or rather: should be...) the third last entry on the dropdown list. Could be an installation issue - I'll check with Trados if there are any known issues with the Japanese version of T6.5FL.

Best regards, Ralf

PS Hynek raised an important issue: did you register T6.5 on your system after installation?

[Edited at 2004-01-10 14:51]

CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Progress but not solutions... Jan 11, 2004

Well, Hynek has pointed out my first silly mistake. Now that I have registered 6.5 (I only had 6 registered), Excel files come up as an option in TagEditor and I have been able to open some sample Excel files I made myself. Thanks!

However, I was unable to open the client's files in either application until I moved them to the drive's root directory from the SharedDocs folder. Any hints as to why this might be? It's inconvenient to say the least, as I prefer to work out of Share
... See more
Well, Hynek has pointed out my first silly mistake. Now that I have registered 6.5 (I only had 6 registered), Excel files come up as an option in TagEditor and I have been able to open some sample Excel files I made myself. Thanks!

However, I was unable to open the client's files in either application until I moved them to the drive's root directory from the SharedDocs folder. Any hints as to why this might be? It's inconvenient to say the least, as I prefer to work out of SharedDocs.

In any case, it seems I have been able to avert complete disaster thanks to your swift assistance. Thanks again!
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Check file protection Jan 11, 2004

Are the files maybe protected?
However, I was unable to open the client's files in either application until I moved them to the drive's root directory from the SharedDocs folder. Any hints as to why this might be? It's inconvenient to say the least, as I prefer to work out of SharedDocs.

CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nope -- not protected Jan 12, 2004

The Excel files (nor individual sheets) are not protected.

I think that the problem has something to do with the directory, though since the error message in TagEditor is cut off midway I cannot be sure.

CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Back to the drawing board Jan 13, 2004

I reported the other day that moving the files in question to the root directory served as a workaround -- I was wrong.

I was busy with another project yesterday and didn't touch the problem files. When I went to open one in TagEditor today, lo and behold I get the same error message I reported above in this thread.

Time to start panicking again...

CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well, you're never gonna believe this, but... Jan 13, 2004

Trados is supposed to be translation software, right? Doesn't that mean it should be okay with like, languages, for example?

It appears that the root of all my trouble was that I had a Japanese folder name that neither T-Windows for Excel nor TagEditor was able to comprehend. Appalling, n'est-ce pas?
I don't know how or why such a ridiculously simple error should occur in the world's leading translation software, but I'm more than mildly annoyed for the full day of lost time
... See more
Trados is supposed to be translation software, right? Doesn't that mean it should be okay with like, languages, for example?

It appears that the root of all my trouble was that I had a Japanese folder name that neither T-Windows for Excel nor TagEditor was able to comprehend. Appalling, n'est-ce pas?
I don't know how or why such a ridiculously simple error should occur in the world's leading translation software, but I'm more than mildly annoyed for the full day of lost time this has cost me.

Moral of the story: English.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
More details, please Jan 13, 2004

Hi again,
I don't know how or why such a ridiculously simple error should occur in the world's leading translation software, but I'm more than mildly annoyed for the full day of lost time this has cost me.

Access to files and folders is generally controlled by your operating system... that said, IIRC there's a special version of Trados for Japanese systems - did you install this?

Also, you mentioned an error message, but you didn't report it - can you provide more details, please?

Thanks, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't open/translate .xls files in TagEditor 6.5

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »