Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:27
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Jul 21, 2010

Hi,

I have recently installed SDL Trados 2007 Suite (build 863) and Office 2007 on my new laptop.

To my surprise, I noticed that the Set/Close Open/Get keyboard shortcut changed from Alt + Num+ in the previous SDL Trados build to Ctrl + Num+ in build 863. At the same time, the Open/Get and Set/Close keyboard shortcuts still use Alt rather than Ctrl.

Having got used to using Alt rather than a combination of Alt/Ctrl for basic Workbench operations since I first installed Trados a few hundred years ago, I can't help but deeply admire the brilliant mind behind the switch in build 863.

But sarcasm off, is it possible to switch the Set/Close Open/Get shortcut key back to Alt + Num+? And if so, how do I do it in Word 2007? At the moment, the Fluent interface is making me anything but fluent in using the application.

Thanks in advance,
Maciek

Direct link Reply with quote

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
This could shed some light: Jul 21, 2010

http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2n/kb/article.aspx?aid=2201&n=58&s=1
and possibly this:
http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2n/kb/article.aspx?aid=1577&n=26&s=1

HTH

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2009)
French to German
+ ...
You'll have to blame Microsoft Jul 21, 2010

I can't help but deeply admire the brilliant mind behind the switch in build 863.

Maciek

I understand your frustration, I also did not like this switch to the CTRL key, especially because it stayed the ALT key in TE and led to the situation where I often typed CTRL in TE instead of ALT because I had in the meantime gotten used to ALT in Word.

But .... the problem was introduced with Office 2007 and SDL had to change the key because the macro with the ALT key would not work and Microsoft would not fix the problem.

So, it was not changed as a result of a weird idea of a SW developer:-)

Walter

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Keyboard remapping Jul 21, 2010

Walter Blaser wrote:

But .... the problem was introduced with Office 2007 and SDL had to change the key because the macro with the ALT key would not work and Microsoft would not fix the problem.

So, it was not changed as a result of a weird idea of a SW developer:-)

True.
I think the best idea is to remap the Word 2007 keyboard using AutoHotkey or similar tool.

Cheers
GG

Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Apologies to SDL Jul 22, 2010

Well, it looks like I owe SDL an apology and must take back what I said.

It seemed so natural that it was SDL that scr*%$d up again. Perhaps it tells more about myself than it does about SDL.

I am trying to follow Grzegorz's advice and remap the Word 2007 keyboard shortcuts using Auto Hotkey. Something keeps going wrong, but I'll give it a closer look at the weekend.

Thanks for all your help!

Maciek

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to change Word 2007 keyboard shortcut(s) for SDL Trados 2007 Suite

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm Extract 2014
Save time by automatically extracting terms. Save 15% on ProZ.com

SDL MultiTerm Extract 2014 allows you to automatically create candidate term lists from your existing documentation. This removes the manual effort involved with traditional terminology creation, allowing you to rapidly add terms to SDL MultiTerm.

More info »