Thread poster: Lorraine Bathurst
Lorraine Bathurst
Lorraine Bathurst
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 23, 2010

I have been working with Trados 2009. A third of the way through a rolling translation and I have supplied a TM and monolingual version of the document. But I have been asked for a TM and bilingual version of my (word) doc. from the 2007 suite. I have no experience with 2007 (although I do have it). Is it possible to continue this translation in 2007 and if not how do I get a bilingual version of the translation in 2009. I can only access the Target in MS word -clearly not bilingual.
Tha
... See more
I have been working with Trados 2009. A third of the way through a rolling translation and I have supplied a TM and monolingual version of the document. But I have been asked for a TM and bilingual version of my (word) doc. from the 2007 suite. I have no experience with 2007 (although I do have it). Is it possible to continue this translation in 2007 and if not how do I get a bilingual version of the translation in 2009. I can only access the Target in MS word -clearly not bilingual.
Thanks
L
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:21
French to Polish
+ ...
Workarounds... other CAT tools... Jul 24, 2010

Lorraine Bathurst wrote:

I have been working with Trados 2009. A third of the way through a rolling translation and I have supplied a TM and monolingual version of the document. But I have been asked for a TM and bilingual version of my (word) doc. from the 2007 suite. I have no experience with 2007 (although I do have it). Is it possible to continue this translation in 2007

No.
The T2009 documents can't be opened directly in the Word + Workbench combo.

But you can reuse your TM (export as tMX. then import in a Workbench 2007 memory) and retranslate the document.
You'll need some edition rework, dependind of the complexity of your document.
At least, you have a workaround.

and if not how do I get a bilingual version of the translation in 2009.

It's imposible in a normal way.
But it's possible to fool Trados 2009 i.e. pretranalate (presegment) the doc against an empty TM, replace the tw4winExtrernal style by another one (e.g. Emphasis) with Hidden attribute, then import to Studio.
The text in the translation grid in T2009 will contain a lot of unnecessary tags but, at least, they will be grouped.
In the exported text, you should reverse the style change operation.

If you want a tool which is able to process bilingual Word docs in a far better way (e.g. leveraging a partially translated document), take a look on memoQ or DVX.
the list is not exhaustive, I just point out my preferred ones.

I can only access the Target in MS word-clearly not bilingual.

As intended.
The Word bilingual documents were intentionally dropped in Trados 2009.
As the Word + Workbench workflow never worked correctly in complex documents, it was a sound decision.
BTW, It was one of the reasons why many years ago I switched to DVX...

Cheers
GG

Lorraine Bathurst
Lorraine Bathurst
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
workaround tips - Jul 24, 2010

Thanks Gregory
I am going to try your first suggestion. Perhaps too late for this translation - but useful to have a workaround.

Yes I meant a bilingual word file in the other post.

Every day is a school day!

Thanks
L

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 07:21
English to Thai
+ ...
My bilingual file advocate again Aug 28, 2010

Apologize but I also post statements below in another forum of this group.

"SDLXLIFF is an XML based file format specially developed for use in SDL Trados Studio. It is compliant with version 1.2 of the XLIFF standard. SDLXLIFF stands for SDL XML-based Localization Interchange File Format.

SDLXLIFF files are bilingual files; they contain both the source document text and the translation text.

When you start a new translation in SDL Trados Studio, the content of
... See more
Apologize but I also post statements below in another forum of this group.

"SDLXLIFF is an XML based file format specially developed for use in SDL Trados Studio. It is compliant with version 1.2 of the XLIFF standard. SDLXLIFF stands for SDL XML-based Localization Interchange File Format.

SDLXLIFF files are bilingual files; they contain both the source document text and the translation text.

When you start a new translation in SDL Trados Studio, the content of the source language document is placed in an SDLXLIFF file for translation. The SDLXLIFF file is placed in the same folder as the source language document"
(Source: http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/Edit_View/XLIFF_File_Format.htm)
I feel that these statements is enough to convince clients about Doc compatible bilingual format in Trados 2009.

Soonthon Lupkitaro
Collapse

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
TTX files are bilingual, too Aug 28, 2010

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

TTX (TradosTag XML) is a modern XML based file format that many competing CAT tools can read and write. IMHO, phasing out this file format doesn't offer any advantages to translators or translation agencies; it only helps SDL maintain its market share by introducing yet another proprietary format.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

Pretty much any CAT tool saves its data as a bilingual file. The only progress I can see is that SDL finally based their file format on the industry standard XLIFF format.

@Soonthon: You may want to do your own research instead of simply copying and pasting company marketing material.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
English to Thai
+ ...
My straightforward intention Aug 28, 2010

Olaf wrote:
@Soonthon: You may want to do your own research instead of simply copying and pasting company marketing material.

Many thanks, Olaf. I wrote the statement source and wanted to inform the topic starter briefly. No intention to do marketing activity for Trados at all (we the readers already know that SDL International is its supplier). The prime question here is Trados 2009 working SDLXIFF file a bilingual file or not. Adding many links in this forum can suffer the reader very much: a more simple reply is better, wont't it?

Soonthon Lupkitaro

[Edited at 2010-08-29 00:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-08-29 00:45 GMT]

Maxim Manzhosin
Maxim Manzhosin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:21
English to Russian
Try TTXpress Aug 29, 2010

You can save your translation as a TTX file and then convert it to a bilingual doc using TTXpress (its official site is down).

HTH

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Only if you started with TTX Aug 29, 2010

Maxim Manzhosin wrote:

You can save your translation as a TTX file and then convert it to a bilingual doc using TTXpress (its official site is down).

HTH

Just a reminder: Studio 2009 can only save a document in TTX format if it has been opened as TTX. If you open the file in Studio in its source format, it gets converted to SDLXLIFF and you cannot save it as TTX anymore.

Walter

Nguyen Trang
Nguyen Trang
Vietnamese to English
+ ...
Generate bilingual version of XLIFF file in Trados Studio 2009 Feb 10, 2011

Hi all,

I'm translating a XLIFF file and asked for a bilingual version (English --- Vietnamese)

When selecting Save Target As, all the text in also become Vietnamese.

Anybody helps me? It's quite urgent!

Below is a sample in the file after selecting Save Target As

Mới {0}
Mới {0}

{0} Các chi tiết: {1}
{0} Các chi tiết: {1}

Lưu
Lưu

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Switching halfway through a translation from 2009 to 2007

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »