Strastran (X)
Strastran (X)
France
Local time: 21:19
French to English
+ ...
Jul 31, 2010

Hi all

I have a new document to translate in Studio 2009, with a TM provided by the customer. The file is open in the Editor screen, and the TM (which contains some 8,000 entries) is open in the TM screen. No other TMs are open.

When in the Editor screen, if I select a term and press F3, nothing is found. However, when I switch to the TM screen and search for the same term, multiple results are found.

Can anyone tell me why no results are found on the Ed
... See more
Hi all

I have a new document to translate in Studio 2009, with a TM provided by the customer. The file is open in the Editor screen, and the TM (which contains some 8,000 entries) is open in the TM screen. No other TMs are open.

When in the Editor screen, if I select a term and press F3, nothing is found. However, when I switch to the TM screen and search for the same term, multiple results are found.

Can anyone tell me why no results are found on the Editor screen, and how I can make them appear? The TM contains lots of crucial information but none of it is being populated.

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Have you checked the project settings? Jul 31, 2010

Is the box for concordance searches checked for that TM?

(Sorry if you consider that to be obvious).

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Search concordance on source side Jul 31, 2010

Most certainly you are selecting a word for concordance in Editor on the target side.
If you do so and press F3, the target concordance search is performed.
Perform the source concordance search and it will work.
Via Tools - Options - Shortcuts you can configure your own shortcuts for concordance, source concordance and target concordance.

Strastran (X)
Strastran (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 31, 2010

Thanks Mark, as a novice with Studio 2009 I consider nothing to be obvious! I'll check that.

Jerzy, thanks but I am indeed searching on the Source side.

Strastran (X)
Strastran (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved Jul 31, 2010

I seem to have solved the problem: I clicked on Project Settings at the top/middle and there was an old TM in there, which I removed before adding the right one.

Thanks for your replies!

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
TM window Jul 31, 2010

FYI, the TM screen that comes up when you click on the TM icon at bottom left of the Studio window functions independently of the Editor window.

You can have a TM open in the TM window and it has nothing to do with what's going on in your editor window. As you have discovered, that is governed by your project settings.

Strastran (X)
Strastran (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed! Jul 31, 2010

Thanks Emma - that was indeed something I was not aware of. I'll know for the future.

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
BTW: concordance search works in both languages Aug 1, 2010

It has been mentioned that you can configure the keyboard shortcuts for the Concordance search. I would like to draw your attention on a feature many users are not (yet) aware of: the fact that you can very easily do a "reverse search".

Let me explain: by default, pressing F3 does a search in the language that corresponds to the column you are in (source or target). However, pressing CTRL-F3 instead of F3, will reverse this, allowing you to search in the source language even if you
... See more
It has been mentioned that you can configure the keyboard shortcuts for the Concordance search. I would like to draw your attention on a feature many users are not (yet) aware of: the fact that you can very easily do a "reverse search".

Let me explain: by default, pressing F3 does a search in the language that corresponds to the column you are in (source or target). However, pressing CTRL-F3 instead of F3, will reverse this, allowing you to search in the source language even if your cursor is currently in the target column. This is very useful in cases where you did a 'Copy source' on a segment and want to do a concordance search using the copied text without the need to move your cursor out of the target column.

So, compared to 2007, Studio not only allows you to carry out concordance searches in both languages, it also allows you to do this very easily regardless of where your cursor stands.

Walter
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No results from concordance search in Studio 2009

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »