Thread poster: Word_Wise
Word_Wise
Word_Wise  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:19
English to Romanian
+ ...
Aug 1, 2010

Hi,

I there any easy way to add terms to a local termbase while working in SDL Trados Studio 2009?
I used WordFast before and there I was able to select the source term, add (with a click) to glossary and immediately insert the translation. But here, I have to navigate away from my working page, add a new term in MultiTerm which is quite slow, don't know why, then save and so on. It does steel quite a lot of time if one wants to have a consistent glossary. But, I have to admi
... See more
Hi,

I there any easy way to add terms to a local termbase while working in SDL Trados Studio 2009?
I used WordFast before and there I was able to select the source term, add (with a click) to glossary and immediately insert the translation. But here, I have to navigate away from my working page, add a new term in MultiTerm which is quite slow, don't know why, then save and so on. It does steel quite a lot of time if one wants to have a consistent glossary. But, I have to admit, I never had a proper induction to Trados and MultiTerm.

Thank you in advance for any help and advice.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:19
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Add new term Aug 1, 2010

It couldn't be easier.
As you start obviously from the target side, select the target term first.
Now press F6 to get to the cursor positioned at the beginning of the segment on the source side. Select the source term, right clik on it and select "Add new term". This will open it for further editing in an extra window. You can edit that term or store it right away by pressing F12. You can configure this window to auto-hide when unused, which will bring it out of sight as soon you mov
... See more
It couldn't be easier.
As you start obviously from the target side, select the target term first.
Now press F6 to get to the cursor positioned at the beginning of the segment on the source side. Select the source term, right clik on it and select "Add new term". This will open it for further editing in an extra window. You can edit that term or store it right away by pressing F12. You can configure this window to auto-hide when unused, which will bring it out of sight as soon you move the mouse pointer outside of it.

Please also note, that you can configure your own shortucts, for example for adding a new term to MT. By default there is no shortcut for that, but you can add any you wish.
Collapse

Word_Wise
Word_Wise  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:19
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 1, 2010

Yes, I see now, it's nice 'n easy.
Thank you Jerzy,

Deolindo
Deolindo  Identity Verified
Angola
English to Portuguese
+ ...
moving selected terms from one TB to another Aug 5, 2010

Can sb pls tell me how to move selected terms from one TB to another? I've seen solutions for whole contents of a TB but nothing on just some terms you eventually realize that don't belong in the TB you put them in the first place. Thanks in advance.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Easy but somehow slow... Aug 5, 2010

Deolindo wrote:

Can sb pls tell me how to move selected terms from one TB to another? I've seen solutions for whole contents of a TB but nothing on just some terms you eventually realize that don't belong in the TB you put them in the first place. Thanks in advance.

Open Multiterm and export the entry as XML (Ctrl+Shift+X), import it in the second termbase, then delete the entry in the first one (Shift+Del).

In a simple 1:1 termlist case, I think it will be faster to simply delete the entry in the first TB and recreate it in the second one.

Cheers
GG

Deolindo
Deolindo  Identity Verified
Angola
English to Portuguese
+ ...
thank you... Aug 5, 2010

GG, I tried your first suggestion because I want to move terms from a multilingual TB with a lot of synonims, notes, definitions, and illustrations for some entries. So far I have managed to import terms one by one with all of the fields except the pictures (I went to Catalog view and clicked "Process" in the "Import" window. Is this the right procedure?). I have to insert the illustrations manually. Thank you all the same.

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Bug Aug 5, 2010

Deolindo wrote:

GG, I tried your first suggestion because I want to move terms from a multilingual TB with a lot of synonims, notes, definitions, and illustrations for some entries.

Yes, I see the scale of your problem...

So far I have managed to import terms one by one with all of the fields except the pictures (I went to Catalog view and clicked "Process" in the "Import" window. Is this the right procedure?).

Yes, of course.

I have to insert the illustrations manually.

I consider it's a bug.
It's no way to extract an image from a multiterm termbase.
Another time, Multiterm is a one way ticket solution...

If you have a copy of the image, you may try to put it in the directory where the XML files are stored.
The file contains the image name declaration, so I hope it should be imported too.

Cheers
GG

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
No shortcuts for this in Studio? Aug 12, 2010

Do you have to use the mouse to add terms in Studio?
This seems so stupid and time consuming.

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
You can assign a shortcut to 'Add new term" Aug 12, 2010

There is no keyboard short-cut by default. I don't see a problem with this because in this case you are likely anyway to use your mouse in order to select the two terms in source and target, so right-clicking after this is easy and fast.

But you can define your own short-cut for this by going to 'Tools - Options - Keyboard Shortcuts - Editor'.

Walter

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Ergonomy... Aug 12, 2010

Walter Blaser wrote:

There is no keyboard short-cut by default. I don't see a problem with this because in this case you are likely anyway to use your mouse in order to select the two terms in source and target, so right-clicking after this is easy and fast.

Nonetheless, the right click involves three operations i.e. the right click itself, the Add new term command selection and the final click.
When you add the source/target selection (using the mouse) and the click on Save the Entry button, you have at least six operations.

For the same effect, I need only three operations in DVX, memoQ, Swordfish, whatever sound...

But you can define your own short-cut for this by going to 'Tools - Options - Keyboard Shortcuts - Editor'.

AFAIK Studio is the only one CAT tool which doen't have this shorcut by default.
Because the brand matters

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-08-12 10:06 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Ergonomy continued Aug 12, 2010

Leaving aside the matter of a default shortcut, when already defined I need not a click more in Studio than in any other CAT.
And TBH I do not care about one click left or right. What counts is the result.
I better count words than clicks.

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Ergonomy :) Aug 12, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Leaving aside the matter of a default shortcut, when already defined I need not a click more in Studio than in any other CAT.

Even if the shortcut is defined, you need 4 operations vs 3 in DVX, MQ or Swordfish.

And TBH I do not care about one click left or right. What counts is the result.
I better count words than clicks.

Well.
Two days ago, I added 213 terms.
The result is 213 unnecessary clicks less
So, DVX, MQ, Swordfish and other help to prevent the repetitive stress injury

PS
I didn't count 'em especially for you.
I simply used a separate empty termbase for this particular project.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-08-12 11:03 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Counting clicks Aug 12, 2010

In Studio: select target word, change to source, select source word, press shortcut, save term.
How is this faster in ANY other software?

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
It's quite simple :) Aug 12, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

In Studio: select target word, change to source, select source word, press shortcut, save term.
How is this faster in ANY other software?

Well, it's very simple
Just skip the unnecessary steps.

select target word, change to source, select source word,

As I discussed the mouse secenario, the change to mouse was implicite.
So why I counted 4 operation instead of 5, like you.
For a moment, it's the same.

press shortcut, save term.

The difference is I have only one step here:
Shift + F11 in DVX
Ctrl + Q in memoQ
Ctrl + A in Swordfish

Of course, I can do it slower and display the form, if necessary

If I make a mistake, I can easily correct the entry, just one right click in the suggestion viewer and I display the form.
But even in this case, it's faster than in Studio, I have another one or two clicks less

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-08-12 12:09 GMT]

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Looking for time savers Aug 12, 2010

Two days ago, I added 213 terms.
The result is 213 unnecessary clicks less
So, DVX, MQ, Swordfish and other help to prevent the repetitive stress injury

Gregorz

I fear that the time you gained there was again used up here to write all these posts about the very important issue whether one tool needs one click more than the other.

Don't you think we should close this thread?

Walter

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adding terms to SDL MultiTerm

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »