Thread poster: KITTY B
KITTY B
KITTY B  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:08
English to Latvian
Feb 1, 2004

Hi,

When I clean up a Word document with Trados, it messes up hyperlinks in a TOC. When I update fields, I seem to lose them forever. How do I get them back?

Thanks in advance.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:08
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Feb 1, 2004

...to Trados Support.

Hi Kitty,
Can you provide some more details, please?
To start with, which Word version are you using?

When I clean up a Word document with Trados, it messes up hyperlinks in a TOC.

Are these hyperlinks (=URLs) contained in ToC entries, or are you referring to the links pointing to headings within the same document (i.e. the very ToC entries themselves)?

When I update fields, I seem to lose them forever. How do I get them back?

What kind of fields are you referring to? Could these be cross-references to other sections within the same document?

Thanks for being a bit more precise.

Best regards, Ralf

KITTY B
United States
English to Latvian
TOPIC STARTER
Specifics Feb 1, 2004

Dear Ralph,

I use Word 97, Trados Freelance 5.5 and Windows XP.

The table of contents (TOC) itself is a list of chapter headings (that are also links that can take you to those headings in a document when you click on them) and page numbers.

Everything works fine until I try to clean up with Trados.

When I finish the clean-up:
--links in TOC take only up (first letter in the document)
--page numbers disappear and show an error me
... See more
Dear Ralph,

The table of contents (TOC) itself is a list of chapter headings (that are also links that can take you to those headings in a document when you click on them) and page numbers.

--page numbers disappear and show an error message (Error! Bookmark not defined)

I know that to get the page numbers back, I have to rightclick and update fields.

However, when I do that:
--links in TOC lose their blue color and do not take you anywhere in the document.
--I get the page numbers back.

Thanks for asking me to be more specific.
Collapse

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Check the switches in TOC field Feb 1, 2004

This is one of the possible scenarios, numbers in fields are examples only:

Display field codes (Alt+F9). Instead of TOC (or error message) you should see something like:
{ TOC \t "Heading 1,1, Heading 2,2" }
If you can see \t followed by heading style names - somebody has defined that TOC will be created automatically from appropriate styles. But:
- in English Word heading 1 = "Heading 1"
- in Polish Word heading 1 = "Nagłówek 1"
etc...
... See more
This is one of the possible scenarios, numbers in fields are examples only:

Display field codes (Alt+F9). Instead of TOC (or error message) you should see something like:
{ TOC \t "Heading 1,1, Heading 2,2" }
If you can see \t followed by heading style names - somebody has defined that TOC will be created automatically from appropriate styles. But:
- in English Word heading 1 = "Heading 1"
- in Polish Word heading 1 = "Nagłówek 1"
etc...

In that case remove the \t switch with following definition and change it to:
{ TOC \o "1-2" }
This will create TOC from heading styles (no matter what is the language version of MS Word).

HTH,
Wojtek
Collapse

Wojciech Froelich
Poland
English to Polish
What are the TOC switches? Feb 1, 2004

However, when I do that:
--links in TOC lose their blue color and do not take you anywhere in the document.

Can you display the TOC code field and let us know all the switches?

Wojtek

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Are you using your client's template? Feb 1, 2004

Hi again,

I know - the reason for my query was that sometimes these links can contain a hyperlink (URL).

Well, as long as you don't touch the ToC, there's nothing that can go wrong, really.

--page numbers disappear and show an error message (Error! Bookmark not defined)

ToC entries usually only reflect what's happened somewhere else in the document (specifically, what's happened to the headings the ToC is set to display). Have you checked one or two headings (before and after cleanup)? What formatting template is used for these (e.g. "Heading1", or something non-default)?

I know that to get the page numbers back, I have to rightclick and update fields.

Not quite - you will need to update the entire ToC, since you will have changed the headings by translating them.

However, when I do that:

Difficult to say without looking at the document, but my take on this is that the ToC definition has been customised - unless you obtain the .dot template file used by your client, there's no way to restore this format (unless you manually re-build it). OTOH, if that's the problem, your client should be able to restore the ToC with a couple of clicks.

Thanks for asking me to be more specific.

That's a habit I've developped here...

HTH, Ralf

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Switches Feb 1, 2004

Hi Wojtek,
Good point - a localised Word version could be another source of the problem (although I never had that issue with the ToC, but very frequently with other cross-references).

Best regards, Ralf

KITTY B
United States
English to Latvian
TOPIC STARTER
More specifications Feb 1, 2004

Thank you for your answers!

These are the codes in the Table of Contents:

{ TOC \o "2-3" \h\z\t "Heading 1,1"}
{TOC \h\z\t "Caption \c}{TOC\h\z\c "Table"}

And for headings in the document I have this:
{SEQ Chapter}{SEQ SecTwo \R\H}

All codes for TOC and later in the headings in the document stay the same before and after the clean-up.

I did not create any of the codes. They are in the English document that came from m
... See more
Thank you for your answers!

These are the codes in the Table of Contents:

{ TOC \o "2-3" \h\z\t "Heading 1,1"}
{TOC \h\z\t "Caption \c}{TOC\h\z\c "Table"}

And for headings in the document I have this:
{SEQ Chapter}{SEQ SecTwo \R\H}

All codes for TOC and later in the headings in the document stay the same before and after the clean-up.

I did not create any of the codes. They are in the English document that came from my client. Therefore, I do not think I should change them.

Could this be because I am still using Word 97? Could there be any other reason (incorrect setting in Word or Trados Workbench)?

Thanks again,

Kitty B.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Template Feb 2, 2004

Hi again,

...as one would expect. Do the links work after you updated the ToC?

I did not create any of the codes. They are in the English document that came from my client.

True, but the formatting is very likely in the template used by your client - did they send that one, too?

Could this be because I am still using Word 97?

Possibly, but not necessarily - I used Office 97 up until a few months ago myself.

Could there be any other reason (incorrect setting in Word or Trados Workbench)?

Don't think so, TBH - although I cannot be sure without having seen the document.

Once again - did your client furnish a template with the file to be translated? Which template is linked to the document ('Tools - Templates and Add-ins')?

Best regards, Ralf

Thanks again,

Kitty B.
[/quote]

Wojciech Froelich
Poland
English to Polish
Let's see Feb 2, 2004

First of all - make a backup of the file before you start any modifications. If the solution is not appropriate, you will just restore original version.

Try to change the first TOC field into:
{ TOC o "1-3" hz}
(remove t switch with style name, change 2-3 into 1-3).
Then update the field and switch the field codes (Alt+F9). If you see some strange Ref items instead of page numbers, press Alt+F9 two more times.

HTH,
Wojtek

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 5.5 and hyperlinks

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »