Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 8, 2004

AS a matter of potential interest I would like to know if anyone else has had problems like mine.

Working with a document of almost 3MB with a lot of CAD drawings, some 3000 words and 17 pages, I found that on clean-up, only 4 of the 17 pages were reproduced in the cleaned-up Word document. Yet I was sure that the data was in the TMW, because when I went to redo the text, the TMW was able to give me matches.

I finally found that I could only clean up properly by removi
... See more
AS a matter of potential interest I would like to know if anyone else has had problems like mine.

Working with a document of almost 3MB with a lot of CAD drawings, some 3000 words and 17 pages, I found that on clean-up, only 4 of the 17 pages were reproduced in the cleaned-up Word document. Yet I was sure that the data was in the TMW, because when I went to redo the text, the TMW was able to give me matches.

I finally found that I could only clean up properly by removing all the CAD drawings.

Can anyone explain that, or are the drawings simply an interference that Trados cannot cope with? (Whic I find hard to believe...)
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Images in Word documents Feb 8, 2004

Yet I was sure that the data was in the TMW, because when I went to redo the text, the TMW was able to give me matches.

Of course they were in the translation memory, if you translated the document using Trados. But the content of TM is not relevant to the cleanup operation.

I finally found that I could only clean up properly by removing all the CAD drawings.

Can anyone explain that, or are the drawings simply an interference that Trados cannot cope with? (Whic I find hard to believe...)

It's hard to say what happened without seeing the document. Maybe you have incidentally overwritten some hidden Trados tags during translation. But the images could be a big problem too.

Before cleanup, the document will be converted from DOC to RTF format. If it contains big images, the file size can be huge (I have experienced several hundred MB, even though the DOC file was relatively small) and Word won't be able to handle the document, especially if your computer doesn't have enough RAM memory. The cleanup will fail and you will not get a cleaned document. Unless you explicitely disabled creating backup files in Workbench, the original file will still be available as a .BAK file which you can rename to .DOC, so your work will not be lost.

The workarounds:

You can clean the document manually using the TW4WinClean.Main macro. See Ralph's post.

Or, you can remove the images, translate the document, clean it up and put the images back. There is a macro called ImagesOutIn which can do both operations for you automatically. It is available in the dejavu-l group's files at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l/files/Macros/

[Edited at 2004-02-08 12:30]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
File Formats Reference Guide Feb 9, 2004

Nothing to add to Hynek's post, really.

You may want to download the File Formats Reference Guide that contains useful hints regarding workflows for different file formats.

Best regards, Ralf

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks.. Feb 9, 2004

Thanks to both for the advice.

I found it was easiest to simply remove the graphs and then reinsert them later. That resolved the problem entirely.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAD drawings interfering seriously with clean-up

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »