MultiTerm glossary based on TM - possible?
Thread poster: Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 12:25
Member (2008)
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
Oct 20, 2010

I know MultiTerm 2009 can create suggestions for items to be included in a glossary based on scanning a source text, but is there any option for such a "draft" action using a translation memory?

If not, is there any simple action in Excel that would allow to convert txt-based TM into source lines (which could be provided to MT as a "fake" source text)?

Now I have

17022010, 13:45:00
TOMAS
{\cs6\f1\cf6\lang1024 }blah English blah...
{\cs6\f7
... See more
I know MultiTerm 2009 can create suggestions for items to be included in a glossary based on scanning a source text, but is there any option for such a "draft" action using a translation memory?

If not, is there any simple action in Excel that would allow to convert txt-based TM into source lines (which could be provided to MT as a "fake" source text)?

Now I have

17022010, 13:45:00
TOMAS
{\cs6\f1\cf6\lang1024 }blah English blah...
{\cs6\f7\cf6\lang1024 }blah Czech blah...

Is there any easy conversion / filter action (something like "convert lines into columns + skip tags" - I could delete redundant columns manually at once) that would result in a file with
"blah English blah..."
only?

Thanks!
Collapse

István Hirsch
István Hirsch  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:25
English to Hungarian
This works for me Oct 20, 2010

Open the file in Word and by the use of Edit/Find and Replace function delete some parts that are not needed. Quotation marks are not part of the expressions below. In 2. EN-GB should be replaced by your source, in 3. HU with your target language code.

1. Find: „\{*\}”, Replace with: (leave blank) (Wildcard checked)
2. Find: „\</TrU\>*EN-GB\>” Replace with: (leave blank) (Wildcard checked)
3. Find: „^p<Seg L=HU>” Replace with:”#” (Wildcard:
... See more
Open the file in Word and by the use of Edit/Find and Replace function delete some parts that are not needed. Quotation marks are not part of the expressions below. In 2. EN-GB should be replaced by your source, in 3. HU with your target language code.

1. Find: „\{*\}”, Replace with: (leave blank) (Wildcard checked)
2. Find: „\</TrU\>*EN-GB\>” Replace with: (leave blank) (Wildcard checked)
3. Find: „^p<Seg L=HU>” Replace with:”#” (Wildcard: not checked)
4. Select and delete everything that is in front of your first source sentence.
5. Select the whole text, go to Table/Convert Text to Table, choose 2 columns and # as the separator. If everything has been OK, after the conversion you will have the source as well as the target segments in separate columns.
Collapse

William Tierney
William Tierney  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:25
Member (2002)
Arabic to English
Multiterm Extract to pull terminology from TMs Oct 20, 2010

Hi Tomas,

I believe Multiterm Extract has a setting to extract a termbase from a TM. I haven't used it yet, so I can't tell you how effective it is.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm glossary based on TM - possible?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »