Thread poster: kittilina
Error: Move to Last Child. Inner Exception

kittilina  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:51
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Nov 24, 2010

I had just done a job in Trados Studio 2009 and then tried to save the target to Word. This error message came up and it wouldn't allow me to do any more. I could not get Studio to preview the document either. So I am stuck with a part translation of a big job that I cannot export - which is what the client asked for. I tried the SDL site but there's no help there.

Can anyone help?

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2009)
French to German
+ ...
Did you run the Verifier Nov 26, 2010

Run the Verifier (F8) and correct any tag errors that might be detected.

What happens if you close Studio and reopen the project? Do you still get the same error?

Which version are you using?

Walter

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Restart tried Nov 26, 2010

Yes, I closed Trados and re-opened but still got the same error message. I also corrected some tag errors that were showing, but there were two I couldn't get rid of (it told me there were extra spaces, but I couldn't see them!). I'm using Studio 2009.

Thanks for replying!

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2009)
French to German
+ ...
Do you use SP3? Nov 27, 2010

Did you upgrade to SP3 and install the latest patches (Cumulative Update 8)?

This might help? Do you get this error only with this document or also with others?

Try to delete the 3 files mentioned here

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/173305-unexpected_exception_and_trados_wont_open.html#1526452

and restart Studio.

Walter

Katarzyna Szylderowicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2007)
Dutch to Polish
+ ...
What is the solution for this error? Jan 20, 2011

I've the same problem. Deleting these 3 files didn't help. How did you solve this Kittilina?

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still don't know Jan 21, 2011

I also tried deleting these files and it didn't help. In the end, I did not have this problem again but I have found that Trados does not like it one bit if you try to save the target as a Word document when errors or messages are showing. If in doubt, (and this is what I do now when all the text does not come up as perfect) save the SDLXLIFF, exit Trados, restart Trados and re-open your document. This should then not show any errors or messages, at which point you can safely export it to Word.

I still can't do this with my original document that had the error. If anyone out there knows the solution.......

All the best

Kittilina

SDL Support  Identity Verified
English
Can we see the document? Jan 21, 2011

Hello Kittilina,

If you can send your SDLXLIFF (the one you still can't save as target) to me I'd be happy to take a look and see whether I can find an explanation?

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Estefanía González  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Error: Move to Last Child. Inner Exception Feb 28, 2011

Dear colleagues,

I have just experienced the same error and I cannot save the translation as a doc file. I have followed the previous advice but the problem persists.

Does anyone know how to solve it?

Best regards,

Estefanía

PS. My operating system is Windows 7 and I am using SDl Studio 2009 SP3 – 9.1.2261

Erudites  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:21
Member (2010)
Danish to English
+ ...
Getting the same error..anybody got the solution? Jun 14, 2011

I am getting similar error while trying to export clean file in Trados 2009. Any suggestions?

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still no solution Jun 14, 2011

SDL contacted me about this in January. After I sent them my document and some correspondence they concluded it was a bug and referred it to technical. Since then I haven't heard anything more from them. Have you downloaded SP4? Don't know if that solves it or not.

Sorry not to be of more help.

Irene McClure
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Same problem Jun 17, 2011

Today I faced the same problem with one document, I have finished the translation but cannot generate target translation; The error message is the same - "an error occurred during a call to extension function "Move to last child" See Inner Exception for complete description of the error".

Unfortunately this means nothing to me and I've searched the Knowledge Base for relevant articles/patches without any luck.

I'm working with Studio 2009. I've downloaded SP4 and think I am up to date with all fixes (although auto update function is still not working for me).

Any ideas on how to repair this or any work-arounds to get my target text into word? Client is waiting for the translation and I can't get it out.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Irene

Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to English
+ ...
ANd? Any news yet? Jul 8, 2011

I encountered the same problem today, thankfully I only had to deliver by Monday, so no panic.

Thankfully I found this thread and didn't waste any time trying to solve that problem.

Any news on the repair front?

In the end, I copied the target segments into Word, opened the original document and minitiously edited the whole thing to look like the original, including copying photos etc. It took me three hours, but at least the agency is now able to see and read it. Have Starter, so bilingual was no option either, or at least my agency doesn't know how.

Mind you that is nothing to be doing in half an hour when you have tight deadline.

Anyway, am now pretty cheesed off and vowing never to buy this thing (which program can be called adequate if it does not work?), but thankfully client won't notice anything.

SDL Support  Identity Verified
English
A possible workaround Jul 9, 2011

Hi,

I know this isn't ideal, and we are trying to identify the reasons for this problem, but often you can resolve the immediate pain like this:

1. Use Open Document instead of Create a Project with your source file
2. Select the TM containing the translations
3. DO NOT PRESS SAVE OR A PROJECT WILL BE CREATED
4. Use translate until next unconfirmed to get through your translation quickly
5. Now try to save the target

I hope that helps until we have fixed this properly.

Regards

Paul

Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to English
+ ...
Maybe I am wrong Jul 11, 2011

but as I have Starter, I do not have any translation memories I can upload, not from myself, nor from any client. My TMs should only be file-based and as soon as I open another file, the TM goes.

Is that right?

If it is, then I can do nothing to work round it?

salsa  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:51
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Doesn't work... Jul 14, 2011

SDL Support wrote:

Hi,

I know this isn't ideal, and we are trying to identify the reasons for this problem, but often you can resolve the immediate pain like this:

1. Use Open Document instead of Create a Project with your source file
2. Select the TM containing the translations
3. DO NOT PRESS SAVE OR A PROJECT WILL BE CREATED
4. Use translate until next unconfirmed to get through your translation quickly
5. Now try to save the target

I hope that helps until we have fixed this properly.

Regards

Paul

Unfortunately this tip doesn't work. I have the same problem...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]
Myron Netchypor[Call to this topic]
Marco Ramón[Call to this topic]
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error: Move to Last Child. Inner Exception

memoQ translator pro 2013
ProZ.com members receive a 20% discount on memoQ

memoQ is a tool from translators to translators: no matter whether your clients give you files in the original file formats or supply you with project packages in other translation tools, you can use memoQ to guarantee timely delivery, high productivity a

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2014
The leading translation software. Save 15% on ProZ.com

SDL Trados Studio provides translators with all the tools they need for translation, terminology management, review, managing projects, machine translation and more, in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »