Multiterm 5.5 and 6 on same PC?
Thread poster: Joanne Parker

Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:54
German to English
+ ...
Mar 7, 2004

I know that it's ok to install both Trados 5.5 and 6 on the same PC, as I've done it. The support guy also told me how to switch between the two (using the Register Trados 6.5 exe that runs a DOS command, for example).

However, I haven't got round to installing the latest Multiterm version onto my PC. Has anyone experienced any problems with Muliterm 5.5 and 6 on the same machine?

Thanks,

Joanne

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:54
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Mar 7, 2004

...to Trados Support.

Hi Joanne,
However, I haven't got round to installing the latest Multiterm version onto my PC. Has anyone experienced any problems with Muliterm 5.5 and 6 on the same machine?

I run them concurrently, without any problems. The reason why I still need to maintain MT 5.5 is that some of the translators I work with don't have MTiX, and I sometimes need to test the export files I create for them.

A few points to note:
- Make sure you set aside a couple of hours for the changeover. Although the MTConvert utility works rather well, you might find that you need to tweak a few settings. To avoid having to update two termbases, it's advisable to finish the conversion process before continuing work.

- As the file/database structure of MT5.5 and MTiX is fundamentally different, make sure you keep them well separated. I keep my MTiX databases in a subfolder within the installation folder, but that's a matter of taste, I suppose.

- Make sure to use the latest version of MTiX, particularly if you have upgraded Workbench to the latest build 417. See this article from the Trados KB for details. (Note that this upgrade simply exchanges a few DLL's, and will still show as "build 267" in the main program window.)

HTH - best regards, Ralf

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Changeover? Mar 7, 2004

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for the information. Does this mean that I have to change over all of my Multiterm databases? Is it not possible to open existing ones using Multiterm 5? I also have some DBs from clients that are password-protected. I assume that I will be unable to convert these - will this cause a problem?

Thanks very much,

Joanne

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:54
English to German
+ ...
Parallel operation of MT5.5/MTiX Mar 7, 2004

Hi again, Joanne,
Does this mean that I have to change over all of my Multiterm databases?

You don't have to, but I'd recommend it - personally, I find MTiX much more convenient to use.

Is it not possible to open existing ones using Multiterm 5?

Sure, but you will need to change the terminology provider in Workbench each time you switch (note that Workbench 6.x only supports MT5.5).

I also have some DBs from clients that are password-protected. I assume that I will be unable to convert these - will this cause a problem?

No, other than the inconvenience of switching, plus the fact that you won't be able to integrate multiple termbases - although this isn't supported by the Workbench interface, you can search multiple termbases within a MTiX project.

Best regards, Ralf

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great! Mar 7, 2004

Thanks very much, Ralf. Have just successfully installed it, I just need those pesky few hours to migrate the DBs that I do need. Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Joanne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm 5.5 and 6 on same PC?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs