Dana Sackett Lössl
Dana Sackett Lössl  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 16:24
Member (2007)
Danish to English
+ ...
Feb 10, 2011

I just installed and started working with Trados Studio 2009 SP3 today, and I am working on an InDesign file (IDML). When I try and Save Target As or Export the file, I get the following message, which directs me to a hyperlink in the file:

"'= is an unexpected token. The expected token is ;"

I am completely new to Studio, but I assume this is not a Trados problem. Can anyone help resolve this? I don't know where to begin.

Help appreciated.

David Goward
David Goward  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Same "unexpected token" problem Mar 9, 2012

Hello Dana,

Did you find a solution to your problem elsewhere? I ask because I am faced with the same (or similar) problem. I have translated a Word file in Studio 2009 and am unable to regenerate the target file.

I get the following error message:
"'travaux' is an unexpected token. Expecting white space. Line 1, position 196."

However, the word "travaux" does not appear in line 1 (presuming this means the segment #1) which just contains the product
... See more
Hello Dana,

Did you find a solution to your problem elsewhere? I ask because I am faced with the same (or similar) problem. I have translated a Word file in Studio 2009 and am unable to regenerate the target file.

I get the following error message:
"'travaux' is an unexpected token. Expecting white space. Line 1, position 196."

However, the word "travaux" does not appear in line 1 (presuming this means the segment #1) which just contains the product name.

Anyone know how can I find the error and correct it?

Many thanks,
David

-------------------------

Here's a bit more information.

As expected, I get the same error when I select the View In MS Word as Target option. Now if I double-click on the error message, a short segment (#136) is highlighted. This only contains two source words. I have therefore deleted the translation and re-entered it, but to no avail.

However, I have just noticed that the previous segment (#135) is a Word Art insertion which is not fully reproduced in Studio as the last two words of the five are missing. These two words are in inverted commas in the original source text.

Also, if I open the Document Structure Information window by double-clicking "Tag" in the right-hand column of the Editor window (for segment #135), the full WordArt text appears in the Additional Information column. I may well be wrong, but strongly suspect that this is where the problem lies.

Any help on this will be most appreciated.

David

[Edited at 2012-03-09 08:29 GMT]
Collapse

Patrizia Ferrara (X)
Patrizia Ferrara (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Did anyone find the solution? May 11, 2012

I have an "unexpected token" problem too when trying to generate target translation! did you find the solution?
Many thanks!
Patrizia

Alex Marshall
Alex Marshall
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
My solution Oct 2, 2012

I solved this problem by re-saving the source file (.docx) as .doc (Word 97-2003 Document - compatibility mode) and auto-translating the resulting file using my existing TM. I was then able to Save Target As.

Hope this helps.

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
Any solution to this Feb 28, 2013

Does anybody have a solution for this. I have been sent a package so I can't alter the source file.

I'm using Studio 2011 with windows 7.

David Rumsey
David Rumsey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:24
Member (2004)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Same problem! Jun 20, 2013

I have the same problem on Studio 2011 on Windows 7. My is "=" is an unexpected token: Line 11, Position 440.

A follow up from the Trados folks would be most welcome.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Run the QA check first... Jun 20, 2013

... by pressing F8 when the file is open in the editor. If this doesn't find anything then to troubleshoot the files try these articles:

How to troubleshoot issues with generating your target file in SDL Trados Studio : http://goo.gl/gW6X6

How to troubleshoot problematic files : http://goo.gl/Mlodc

... See more
... by pressing F8 when the file is open in the editor. If this doesn't find anything then to troubleshoot the files try these articles:

How to troubleshoot issues with generating your target file in SDL Trados Studio : http://goo.gl/gW6X6

How to troubleshoot problematic files : http://goo.gl/Mlodc

If that doesn't help, and if you are allowed to share the file you can send me the fully translated sdlxliff and the original source file and I'll happily take a look.

Regards

Paul
[email protected]
Collapse

Problem with "query strings" in Studio Jun 25, 2013

This may be unrelated, but we often have similar issues with hyperlinks in Word documents. Also we use Studio 2011, not 2009, but the error message is exactly the same as in the OP.

Whenever a hyperlink contains an equal sign (quite common usage, e.g. query strings), Studio will not be able to export the file. The only workaround I've found is to manually remove the "offending" hyperlinks on the target side of the editor, and then cut and paste them from the original document in Wor
... See more
This may be unrelated, but we often have similar issues with hyperlinks in Word documents. Also we use Studio 2011, not 2009, but the error message is exactly the same as in the OP.

Whenever a hyperlink contains an equal sign (quite common usage, e.g. query strings), Studio will not be able to export the file. The only workaround I've found is to manually remove the "offending" hyperlinks on the target side of the editor, and then cut and paste them from the original document in Word after export. Quite annoying really.

If you can't find all hyperlinks with equal signs, chances are they are hidden between segments. Use the display filter to show all content, and you should be able to find any remaining hyperlinks. Clicking the error message may help you to find the links, but I've found that this doesn't always work reliably.

To me this indicates that the hyperlinks are being parsed as if they were something else, or not escaped before being parsed. Anyway, it's clearly a bug, the links are perfectly "legal".
(We do have support case open for this, but there seems to be some communications problem, the support don't seem to get the point)

Andreas Wettergren
Translation Support
Amesto Translations
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Potential Workaround Oct 15, 2013

Hi all

Just to let you know this issue will be resolved in an upcoming update for Studio 2011 SP2 and the current workaround for this issue is to change the 'Extract hyperlinks' option under the Word filter settings to: 'Never process hyperlinks' before creating the project.

Thanks
Fas

SDL Support

P-O Nilsson
P-O Nilsson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2010)
English to Swedish
"Unexpected token" problem still unresolved in Studio 2014 Jun 16, 2015

The target Word file cannot be generated, even if the offending tag is removed from the target segment (the source is uneditable).

[Edited at 2015-06-16 14:40 GMT]

András Szabados
András Szabados  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2009)
Hungarian to English
+ ...
When is this update due? Sep 8, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

Just to let you know this issue will be resolved in an upcoming update for Studio 2011 SP2

SDL Support

Hi,

Having the same problem in Studio 2015 - are you guys still working on this update? If yes, when can we expect it?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
The update was released... Sep 8, 2015

... but this error message is not necessarily produced from just one action. Can you share your files?

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
[email protected]

András Szabados
András Szabados  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2009)
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Thanks for your help, Paul Sep 10, 2015

It turns out that the problem in my case was caused by straight double quotes in the hyperlink.

Iuliana Bozkurt
Iuliana Bozkurt  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 17:24
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
This also applies to fonts, not only to the equal sign or quotation marks Oct 9, 2015

How annoying... I have a delivery in 1 hour and because of the Trebuchet font (!), which is probably present in a hyperlink, I cannot save the target. I am so upset.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Can you share... Oct 9, 2015

... the original source file and the fully translated sdlxliff file? If you can I can see whether I can help?

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
[email protected]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

unexpected token

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »